Site Sponsors

Thread: First shots with new 35mm 1.4 G

Post Thanks / Like

First shots with new 35mm 1.4 G

Ok. Don't expect much. I just got it, it is raining so I just shot indoors some quick snap shots.

www.NikonImages.com

www.NikonImages.com

Lots more here. Just click on any thumb then the next and previous arrows.

http://www.nikonimages.com/showgalle...=525&showall=1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First shots with new 35mm 1.4 G

These are lovely, had this lens when I was using D40. Fantastic lens for price.

Off-topic: What script are you using for nikonimages ?

Post Thanks / Like

No packaged script. 100% coded from the ground up in PHP and javascript. Always adding more stuff to it

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking to buy one too. Not avail is Los Angeles yet. Where did you get from? How is the auto focus speed? I noticed the 85mm f1.4g, 24mm g are not so fast and sometimes cannot focus in low contrast situation with my D3s as well as D700. Whats your experience since I noticed you also have the 85mm and 24mm?

Post Thanks / Like

The AF speed is OK. I think it could be faster but overall it's a winner. The 85 and 24 are awesome lenses and this completes a good trio of outstanding glass. I only wish they would do a descent 50.

I am an NPS member so I had priority in purchasing the lens. Picked it up at pro photo supply in Portland. Don't bother calling I tried to buy two but they only had my one copy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to wait till the masses get theirs. I agree that the trio would be a nice set and I do also have the 50mm f1.4g as well. We can always turn to Leica fore their 50mm f1.4 R losing the AF. The 50mm is such a common lens that Nikon dare not make a one costing $1700 or more unless they can manage a 50mm f1.0 or 1.2 special version. That will be nice to have.

Thanks again and look forward with more pictures. Can you do some people shots? Just want to see how it renders skin tones.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a NPS member too but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference over here. The 85/1.4 has been on order since 19th of August and still no appearance.

I am not holding my breath over my order for the 35/1.4. If it goes the same way as the 85 it will mean 10 people can buy one over here followed by months of not being available anywhere.

I don't know what Nikon is doing but it doesn't seem to be making lots of 85's or 35's

Eventually I get it I assume. At least I can enjoy watching the images others are making with them

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    The AF speed is OK. I think it could be faster but overall it's a winner. The 85 and 24 are awesome lenses and this completes a good trio of outstanding glass. I only wish they would do a descent 50.

I am an NPS member so I had priority in purchasing the lens. Picked it up at pro photo supply in Portland. Don't bother calling I tried to buy two but they only had my one copy.
    You lucky dog ... I'm still waiting for the call. The 35/1.4G is one of the few Nikon lenses I've been waiting patiently for as the new lens cap on my D3s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whoo hoo - life is good!

35/1.4G #2 arrived in Portland today and is now safely here in my hands. Only had time to shoot some throw away shots but already I can see that this is one SHARP lens even wide open. I'm looking forward to playing at the weekend now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lest anyone forget, DoF at f/1.4 is tiny ... here I focused just left of the nose rather than nailing the left eye and you can see that even the right eye is soft at this aperture.

Bokeh seems very smooth. The green CA to the left of the ear/hair is a result of blooming I think as the display light blew out on exposure.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got one from FM who decided to sell his after 6 hours of use. The lens has very good contrast and color compared to my 35mm f1.4 AIS. The Bokeh is a tossup for me between the two. I did noticed that the focus lock on my D3s and D7000 cannot lock if I focus on the eyes for people shots if I use outside focus sensors. If I use center point it works a lot better. Can someone explain to me why? I thought all the sensors are equally capable. Is there any problems with my bodies?

Kebebe

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kebebe,

A simplfied answer is all sensors are equal and only some of them (depending on camera model) are cross hair type sensors and they are generally located more centrally within the image the image frame. So its not a complete surprise that the center sensor with certain subjects or items with smooth detail can be AF properly with cross hair type senors but not the others. I've oversimplified my response but hope it gives you some idea why you're experiencing such results.

Dave (D&A)

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I have to stop reading this thread. This looks like a very nice lens indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave. It make some sense but I need to research the difference types of sensors and how best to use them to focus. Maybe you can steer me to some websites or articles.

Anyway, I am enjoying the lens just wish has less distortion like the 24mm.

Kebebe

Post Thanks / Like

AF problems with this lens ?
    http://www.diglloyd.com/diglloyd/index.html
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone care to post some more from this lens? Not a heck of a lot on the net yet.

Post Thanks / Like

First day of school for 2011:

Post Thanks / Like

I am patiently waiting for mine to arrive. Should be here next week.

I have given up hope on the 85. Mine has been on order with my local supplier for 5 months now. I have been told Nikon is basically not supplying Europe with these in favor of the US & Asia

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a bunch of new pics from the 35

http://www.nikonimages.com/standardg...e=1077&showall

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished a bar mitzvah shoot tonight. I tried to make my 35 f2 do the work.

I'm going to get this 1.4 asap!
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jason, if you haven't shot with one yet, you're going to be very impressed...especially for indoor exsting light shots wide open.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

I played with one in the store. My lil f2 just could grab focus, but I can shoot handheld 1/3d of a second pretty well. I would have liked the extra stop on my D3.

I was very impressed with the glass.
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree Jason. The new 24mm f1.4 & 35mm f1.4 I found were both equally superb...it was just a matter of which focal length was right for the job. I think what brings these lenses into the relm of being eminently useful for low light handheld work is wide open performance. Previously the domain of that belonged to Leica (especally at the wide end) with many SLR manufactures fast glass only having the advantage of being brighter and easier to manually focus when used wide open yet optically were lacking at f1.4. These two fast wide angle lenses have certainly changed all that.

Dave (D&A)