Site Sponsors

Thread: Compare - Nikon 35mm 1.4 vs. Nikon 24mm 1.4

Post Thanks / Like

Compare - Nikon 35mm 1.4 vs. Nikon 24mm 1.4

Are there any photos on the internet which compare these two lenses? I have found a few of them but I haven't seen real life photos (people, events, etc) which compare these two gems.
    Is the bookeh the same wide open? Which AF is faster and more accurate on FF cameras?
    Are they accurate in low light situation?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compare - Nikon 35mm 1.4 vs. Nikon 24mm 1.4

I thought the 24mm was slightly faster when focusing. Did not really shoot much (waiting for the weekend), but the 35mm has good edge to edge definition wide open.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've had both but the comparison between them is a bit moot because the focal lengths are very different in day to day use. The bokeh wide open is very similar it's true and both are very sharp lenses with a nice soft out of focus transition.

You either want the 24mm or 35mm based on what view of the world you have ... or both In my own case, I actually sold off my 24/1.4 & 28/1.4 lenses because the reality is that 35mm is my focal length of choice for walk around use & where I really wanted the speed & 'look' of such a fast lens. Less so at 24 & 28, for me at least.

kjyuan

either way, I believe you'll have a good lens on your hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both now (finally). As Graham mentioned, I find I use them differently. Where as I have the tendency to come really close with the 24, I find myself backing off more with the 35. This makes the images I create with both lenses very different and hard to compare.

Both are fine lenses which deliver sharpness and nice out of focus areas. What else can you say. I think it is up to the photographer to do the rest, the lenses are more than up to their task.

Post Thanks / Like

Sofar I found that the AF in the 24 is better than the 35. The 35 hunts a bit more and also has a higher miss rate. This might be because I need to get used to using the 35.

I also think that (at least my copy) the 24 is just a tad sharper.