The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Better everything from Sony

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
greeaat !
sensor technology development is what we need more than anything else
apart from better wiewfinders of course .-)
next stop: Medium Format :D
go Sony, go

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Jorgen, Thanks for the link though I am not sure of the title of the thread.

It seems to be a variant of the current sensors (made by a smaller company) used by Olympus.

Live view is here to stay. Good.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, Thanks for the link though I am not sure of the title of the thread.

It seems to be a variant of the current sensors (made by a smaller company) used by Olympus.

Live view is here to stay. Good.
I kind of agree, but Sony has apparently acquired the technology, which is probably good news for Nikon users. That was my point anyway.

What this also shows, is that there are new barriers to break, and that what looks impressive today (D3?) may be old hat tomorrow.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Since you mentioned it, any chance Sony can bring in a MF back or camera system, say ala ZD or better for $5k???? Now that would take the market by storm....just another pipe dream I guess.....would be happy if even another company like Pentax or Nikon offered it.....both of which had either a little or lot of MF experience with film...I know Pentax dallied with a MF digital entry a couple of years ago, but never materialized.....

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nahh, honestly I doubt it, Don.
Sony is just about to release their very first 24x36 Exmor sensor, unless they already manufactured the 12Mp FX sensor in Nikon D3 which hasn't really been published anywhere as far as I know ?
But I can easily imagine Sony and Canon jump into the MF sensor market in 5-6 years when the technology has become a bit more mature.
Pure guessing here, I haven't got a clue ... :)
But I cross my fingers that they will at some point, it would rock the market.
And how about Leica .-)

Arne Hvaring

Thank you Jorgen. Now "widening optical angle response" sounds interesting. I wonder if this is the start of a development that could permit RF lenses finally to be used FF. Leica M comes to mind, but of course Zeiss, Nikon and Canon have a long history of RF cameras and lenses. Eliminating the colourcast in MFDBs could be another benefit.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Bondo - I did say it would be a pipe dream, ;), but it would be nice if Sony or Canon etc , could release a 645 based system that did not cost an arm and a leg. I don't see Leica doing this either, they have enough financial committments just to hang in with the M8 and DMR series. I have thought for a decade or more that the thing that would save Leica would be to offer their lenses in different mounts just like Zeiss ZF lenses do now. At the price point Zeiss puts these out, not to mention Voigtlander, even that market has passed for Leica, I fear...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A Sony MF camera may not be such a far fetched idea. Zeiss made the Contax 645 lenses, and they own the name. I don't know if if Kyocera would protest if they used the same mount, but Sony would probably be able to talk with them on more equal terms than Zeiss could.

A Contax from Sony, is that a Sontax or a Conny :rolleyes:

An MF from Leica? I can neither see how, why or with whom that should happen. But when this technology gets available to them, a more compact, more modern and generally better RF camera would be nice. Then, even I would consider buying one :p