Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rumor season

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rumor season

There's a nice rumor over at the FM forum about a leak of a brochure about an FX sensor based prosumer sized "D700" DSLR.
    Would be even nicer if it were true.
    I want it. The brochure .-)

K3N

Re: Rumor season

For some reason, I was so happy to see the news about the Nikon D700 even though I have a M8 and am very happy with it. I think I'm going to buy it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Steen
    Thanks for this - it looks interesting, the slight surprise is that the body looks rather like a D200 . . . I'd expect something more like the F6 body, or simply the D3 body with the grip removed.

Announcement on July 1st? Maybe?
    sounds good anyway.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

It's really nice, if Nikon really come out with this one (I called it Mini D3)
    I always wanted to have a small DSLR with Full Frame Sensor

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks very interesting , not sure it is true but a FF D300 size camera to compete with the 5D is good for the industry, no question.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Looks very interesting , not sure it is true but a FF D300 size camera to compete with the 5D is good for the industry, no question.
    HI Guy
    I don't think it's true either, but I'm quite sure that something will be along soon.
    Personally, I'd like to see it in the F6 body . . . . or the D3 body with the grip cut off - and I think it will be necessary because of the larger pentaprism needed for full frame. (which is one reason why I'm not totally convinced by this).
    I think we'll see a 'D3x' pretty soon, it would be nice to see 'cut down' versions of both of these. Here's hoping.

In the meantime the D3 gets picked up most of the time - because it ALWAYS comes up with the goods.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    (...) it looks interesting, the slight surprise is that the body looks rather like a D200 (...)
    probably is a D200

the front of the viewfinder on picture # 3 does not at all look like the big FX viewfinder, which by the way would be my only serious reason for really wanting the camera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Steen
    I thought that this picture was much more likely:

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/05/07/nikon-d10/

and much more desirable too!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I agree, and that model number seems to make more sense too ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's the 3D that canonites have been praying for over the past 6 years or so! The 5D mkII will be a 40D with 16 megapixels, please pardon my yawns!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

asabet

More D700 info and word of four new Nikkor lenses here.

I'm was guessing it's real, but on second thought the typos suggest otherwise, and I don't know what kind of sense a 45mm macro tilt-shiift lens makes. Lot of work for a fake though!

Post Thanks / Like

+1 - I use Canon but all the Canon fanboys/girls keep hoping for some mini-1Ds2 (sealed, , higher fps, 16mp or so, etc). In short, a complete departure from C's long-established upgrade history.

5DII = 40D and a 5D hit a cheap motel outside the Vegas strip. A couple extra MP (primarily marketing driven but minimum necessary to try and keep high ISO performance), LV, maybe bigger buffer, etc.

I have no intention up moving there from my 1Ds2 myself, but a 'concern' for me would be if C decides to dial-up the ISO performance to take on the D3/D700 and ends up farting around with the NR firmware and AA filter so much that a lot of fine detail that the 5D was known for and alternate glass shooters treasure gets sacrificed on the alter of ISO 6400 shots.

If things play out as I suspect, I think Nikon can count on a lot of 5D converts to the D700.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asabet View Post
    More D700 info and word of four new Nikkor lenses here.

I'm was guessing it's real, but on second thought the typos suggest otherwise, and I don't know what kind of sense a 45mm macro tilt-shiift lens makes. Lot of work for a fake though!
    We know that the 45 T/S Nikon is real and so is a new 85 T/S. They were both shown as prototypes in the Nikon booth at PMA this year.

Ray

asabet

Thanks Ray. I guess a macro T/S does have some interesting possibilities that I hadn't considered before. I'm back to thinking the D700 is real .

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's one more hoping for a digital camera in the F6 body. That's the best body Nikon has made ever, and it feels like such a waste limiting to the film edition. Or maybe it's a trick, to convince people like me that I should get an F6 as well

Jorgen, from rainy Hanoi

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

According to the website of one of the biggest danish dealers it is now official that Nikon will meet the press the 1st of July.
    They mention the D700 rumor but stress that nothing has been confirmed from Nikon so far.
    Still they say you can preorder by email or phone.
    Probably some people who are going to be surprised when they realize they have preordered a D90

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rumor site Nikon Watch pointed to a page on the UK Digital Depot website which says:

Nikon will be announcing the new Nikon D700 on Monday 30th June!

Check back soon for details, images & specifications.

I've been skeptical about the mobile phone photos taken at the Chinese printer's but I'm no longer skeptical about the "D700".

Looking at the beautiful ISO 10000 wedding images that fotografz posted in the Nikon/Canon "Smack Down." And the winner is ... thread, I can't imagine anything sweeter -- for my needs -- than that D3 sensor in a D300 body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The viewfinder would be my reason to consider upgrading to the D700, or adding it to my present D300.
    If the viewfinder is exactly as big and bright and good as the D3 viewfinder (or better) and has the same design including the arrow features for manual focusing I might make the jump.
    But so far I fear it is not exactly the same finder. Judged from the leaked brochure photos of the front of the D700 the finder for some weird reason looks smaller than the D3 finder, which worries me
    Last edited by Steen; 27th June 2008 at 02:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    If the viewfinder is exactly as big and bright and good as the D3 viewfinder (or better) and has the same design including the arrow features for manual focusing I might make the jump.
    Excellent point! I'd just assumed that the D700 would have a revamped viewfinder, which would make manual focusing easier than it is with the D300. Though perhaps my assumption is just wishful thinking. Now you've got me crossing my fingers that the new model will have the manual focusing arrows. Let's hope that Nikon haven't decided to keep that as a differentiating feature for the D3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    (snip) Now you've got me crossing my fingers that the new model will have the manual focusing arrows. Let's hope that Nikon haven't decided to keep that as a differentiating feature for the D3.
    Exactly !
    If the D700 viewfinder turns out to be anything less than the D3 finder I see no reason to upgrade.
    In that case I will waite for the D800 which cannot be all that far away

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They have to save somewhere, and they have to give people some good reasons why they should fork out 2,000 dollars more for a D3. My guess is that the D700 is exactly what it seems to be: a D300 with a D3 sensor, possibly with some smaller extras to make it look more tempting for those comparing it to the D300.

Just look at the very successful 5D. It's mostly a 20D with a bigger sensor, a bigger viewfinder plus spot metering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    [snip] My guess is that the D700 is exactly what it seems to be: a D300 with a D3 sensor, [snip]
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm afraid of, Jorgen.
    I would prefer a D300 with a D3 viewfinder

Post Thanks / Like

Try humping a D3 around for a day and you might not care so much about the viewfinder. I may look into trading down vs up.

The D300 is a fine camera but man there's nothing like your 24 being a 24 and your 35 a 35 (and so on). Once you taste full frame there's no going back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by charlesphoto View Post
    The D300 is a fine camera but man there's nothing like your 24 being a 24 and your 35 a 35 (and so on). Once you taste full frame there's no going back.
    Particularly for primes, that's a very valid point. Except for the 10.5mm fish, there are no dx wide primes for Nikon available. Although the fx primes will work fine, they are far too big, heavy and expensive for what they do on dx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by charlesphoto View Post
    Try humping a D3 around for a day and you might not care so much about the viewfinder. I may look into trading down vs up.

I am in 100% total agreement. If there really is a D300 with the D3 sensor, I will probably sell the D3. I imagine that a lot of people would. Which makes me think that it isn't going to happen. Isn't the main difference between the D3 and the D300 just the viewfinder and the sensor? Otherwise they are very very similar. If they cram the D3 sensor in there, what would you lose over the D3? A few FPS? It would undercut the sales of the D3 and D300 too much...it has to be different somehow.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It isn't inconsistent with what Nikon have done before. I think the D700 (or whatever) with a FF sensor is quite likely.

Price would be the factor. If it can better the 5D, it will be sweet.

Downsizing from a dump truck (D3) to a mini-truck (D700) would be good idea as well.

I really wonder how many D3 owners have really understood all the functions it offers and have actually tried at least once. Too complicated. It is easier to switch systems than from going from one model to another!

FWIW, I have a D300 and I really do not know much of its features.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So now -- in this thread at least -- we have a number of parameters in play for the D700. If we accept the reduced body size/weight (compared to D3) as a given, I would rank them as follows (in decreasing order of importance):

* high ISO capability
    * full-frame sensor
    * big, bright FX viewfinder
    * manual focusing arrows.

In other words, I'd (reluctantly) trade the D3's viewfinder and manual focusing assistance for its bigger, faster pixels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    FWIW, I have a D300 and I really do not know much of its features.
    Same boat. Why can't they make a DSLR that is as easy to use as my OM-1? FM3D with the D3 sensor, RAW only and no LCD. Nikon, are you listening?

Player

Same boat. Why can't they make a DSLR that is as easy to use as my OM-1? FM3D with the D3 sensor, RAW only and no LCD. Nikon, are you listening?
    I'm with you on that all the way; I still have an FM3A that I use, but maybe Nikon feels they couldn't profit enough without all the bells-and-whistles, plus advanced amateurs (although I'm an exception) enjoy fiddling.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Simple DSLRs? That is a thought!

With a DSLR, all that matters for me (most of the time) is the focus and the shutter speed from the camera (aperture, I associate with the lens).

K3N

Rumours are becoming more concrete. Bad news is a 95% VF, good news is a built in dust cleaner for the sensor. There's a new SB900 flash coming too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They already have one

1. set it up on RAW, ISO 200, Manual Exposure, Manual focus, switch off LCD review (and if you can't do these things you really are challenged).

From then on you have the simple dslr you're asking for.

I also don't know half the functions on the D3, and I don't care about them either. But not having them . . . . .

I almost never do flash photography, but when confronted with a rare necessity to do a wedding, proper fill flash together with Auto ISO and auto focus are a positive boon - it took 5 minutes to figure out how to use them.

I find it really odd this desire in people to take away features from a camera which they can simply ignore. The new Nikons are set up so that it's really hard to change things by mistake, so once you're set you can forget.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's psychological I think. On most cameras, I find the settings that I like, and I hardly ever change them, except ISO, WB and aperture. Then some techno wiz-kid on one of these forums (you know, those guys under 50), comes up with a brilliant thing that can be done with MY camera, something that will revolutionise photography. I just need to enter menu xx, push button 9 and then..... I get all confused and have a drink instead

But if they could come up with this bare-bones version where even I could understand all the functions. No feeling of being left out of some secret brotherhood of button pushers just because I bought a new camera.

Oh well.... it's a dream, it's a dream. Actually, the cameras I have work pretty well, and that D700 looks like a nice, little black thing that I could become rather attached to, don't you think?.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's psychological I think. On most cameras, I find the settings that I like, and I hardly ever change them, except ISO, WB and aperture. Then some techno wiz-kid on one of these forums (you know, those guys under 50), comes up with a brilliant thing that can be done with MY camera, something that will revolutionise photography. I just need to enter menu xx, push button 9 and then..... I get all confused and have a drink instead
    Well, I'm afraid it smacks of GOM (grumpy old man) stuff to me, to take away something you can easily ignore (but might need later) because you can't be bothered to learn about it now!

Mind you - I can't be bothered to learn about it now either . . . . I just don't want it taken away!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nah... I'm not that grumpy. But I do push the wrong buttons sometimes, so I like simple things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, I think that I qualify in the grumpy old men category.
    That is one reason I like the D3. Almost everything you need on a shot to shot basis has its own labeled button.
    Much better from my point of vire than the Canons.
    This is one of the reasons that I think that Leica could improve the M8 by changing the dedicated protect button, which I have yet to push in anger, to an iso button.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks K (K3N) for the heads up

http://www.photoscala.de/D700-statisch.html

Here's my primitive translation, please bear with my poor english which isn't my native language either.

"After Nikon with the full format camera D3 presented the first Nikon model with full frame sensor format 24x36mm in August 2007, the D700 does now follow, not completely unexpectedly.
    The same 12-Megapixel-Sensor, apparently the same 51-Punkt-Autofocus system, somewhat smaller frame rate (5 frames/sec instead of 9 frames/sec - however it can be increased with battery part to 8 frames/sec), Frame coverage 95 % instead of 100 %, however with built in flash (also to the wireless flash control), a sensor cleaning system (more about that tomorrow) and an interesting price tag: the new camera should cost scarcely 2600 EUR and be available starting from the end of July 2008."

At least the viewfinder looks a little bit better than it did in the first leaked images, right ?
    Though apparently still smaller than the D3 viewfinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the translation Steen. I hope this does not tank the value of the D3 too much, because if it is as you described it, then goodbye D3, hello D700. I would much rather a smaller camera with the same features. It seems odd that the D3 has been around 11 months though...I only got mine in late April and it seems they were scarce even then...does that mean that it will take several months after "the end of July 2008" to actually get the camera in peoples' hands?

S.P.

Thumbs up Re: Rumor season

I am very happy about the upcoming D700.

But it doesn´t mean "bye bye" D3.
    I always preferred the smaller Nikons (D200 and D300) for travelling. I use it in this case without the batterypack MB-D10.

But the handling of the D3 in Portrait orientation is much better than that of the D300 with MB-D10.

So I will buy the D700 and keep the D3. My Travel-Outfit will bei D300 and D700 without MD-D10 and some small lenses.

For assignments I will go on using the D3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look at this viewfinder. It looks much more adult than in the first leaked images.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28457712

Now we are talking. Phew.

Post Thanks / Like

All we need now is the rumored Nikon M-mount digital rangefinder and we're cooking with gas.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    All we need now is the rumored Nikon M-mount digital rangefinder and we're cooking with gas.
    What an ominous thing to say! Gas is expensive nowadays!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    What an ominous thing to say! Gas is expensive nowadays!
    and will it be M(obil) or F(ino) mount?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono -
    Patience pays off....my 24-70 will be a proper lens on a D700

Now I will have some lens cleanup to do.....I have a couple of DX lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First you need to get it back from the slob you lent it too.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    First you need to get it back from the slob you lent it too.
    I was too busy shooting cat pictures with my M8 and 75 cron to notice

Seriously my friend's cat doesn't have long to live so I was doing portraits but it is a shame she wasn't really in the mood

Attachment 5882

Attachment 5884

Learning to focus in the wind and no magnifier.
    Attachment 5883

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hey did you steal that lens from me. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Learning to focus in the wind and no magnifier.
    Does a magnifier help with the wind?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Does a magnifier help with the wind?
    No, the magnifier is pure Leica tradition....make the photographer suffer sadly it doesn't have the Nikon continuous auto focus magic....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I found that the right diopter did wonders for me on the M8. I find that I crank the diopter adjustment on the D3 to the full + direction.
    -bob