The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
At the car races yesterday, but who's interested in cars? The cheerleader competition at the grandstand was so much more entertaining :)

D300 with 80-200 AF-S @ 185mm and f/3.2

D300 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/4.5

rayyan

This, and the shot that follows both of elegance and grace. Equaled only by the eloquence of the narrative and visual portrayal you've given us.
Lloyd, a very big thanks for your encouragement. Highly appreciated.:salute:

Lloyd

Attended the Peaks Jazz Festival yesterday, primarily to see my nephew's band (all high school age members, and which is really outstanding BTW). They had a concert with professional Jazz musician guest performers joining in. Pretty much all of these guests were amazing... Here are a couple of them.

Jeff Coffin of the Dave Matthews Band. This guy was incredible!

Local college professor, Ray Smith, joined Jeff for a couple of numbers. Ray is small, understated, and walks with a pronounced limp, having lost a leg many years ago. He had just flown in from the Moscow Jazz Festival, arriving only minutes before he was to perform, and he and Jeff had not met. When this guy started to play, he brought the house down. We were in awe... as, clearly, was Jeff. From that point, it was game on, each trying to outshine the other. And it just got better an better. What a show!

D3s, 70-200/2.8 VRII @ f2.8, 1/320, ISO 5000. (I struggled at first to figure out why I needed such a high ISO, as stage lights are usually pretty bright, and this venue was new, with great equipment. Then, about halfway through the concert, I realized I hadn't removed the ND4 filter I'd put on the lens when shooting a XC ski race on Monday. Duh!)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice jazz photos, Lloyd, particularly the first one.

Thank you for your kind comments. Just in case you wondered; yes, I did take a couple of photos of the cars as well :D
Here's one:

D300 with 80-200 AF-S @ 92mm and f/4

rayyan

D3s, 70-200/2.8 VRII @ f2.8, 1/320, ISO 5000. (I struggled at first to figure out why I needed such a high ISO, as stage lights are usually pretty bright, and this venue was new, with great equipment. Then, about halfway through the concert, I realized I hadn't removed the ND4 filter I'd put on the lens when shooting a XC ski race on Monday. Duh!)
Lloyd, this is one incredible shot. The bw is very appropriate. I subconsciously associate bw and jazz!! Go figure.:D

Removing filters..well age does have a part to play in this Lloyd!!:D

Love the First shot.:thumbs:

rayyan

The Soul of Bali. I found it in their Temples and in their Prayers. You will find most of my posts, of Bali, revolve around that theme.

None of the Temple Prayer photos were taken without the knowledge and
consent of the those that are pictured. They have been emailed the same.

I cannot thank those in the photos enough for their kindness, generosity and tolerance to allow an outsider to be present ( and intrude ) during their deepest emotional experience.

shtarka1

At the car races yesterday, but who's interested in cars? The cheerleader competition at the grandstand was so much more entertaining :)

Jorgen, 2 Well Caught,Pretty Images!

shtarka1

Attended the Peaks Jazz Festival yesterday, primarily to see my nephew's band (all high school age members, and which is really outstanding BTW). They had a concert with professional Jazz musician guest performers joining in. Pretty much all of these guests were amazing... Here are a couple of them.

Local college professor, Ray Smith, joined Jeff for a couple of numbers. Ray is small, understated, and walks with a pronounced limp, having lost a leg many years ago. He had just flown in from the Moscow Jazz Festival, arriving only minutes before he was to perform, and he and Jeff had not met. When this guy started to play, he brought the house down. We were in awe... as, clearly, was Jeff. From that point, it was game on, each trying to outshine the other. And it just got better an better. What a show!

Man....Talk About FEELIN The GROOVE! Both Tremendously Expressive, SMOKIN,JIVIN, Jammin & Everything Else Thats Ultra Cool Without The (g) In It! Love Em Both Maestro!!!:thumbs:

shtarka1

The Soul of Bali. I found it in their Temples and in their Prayers. You will find most of my posts, of Bali, revolve around that theme.

None of the Temple Prayer photos were taken without the knowledge and
consent of the those that are pictured. They have been emailed the same.

I cannot thank those in the photos enough for their kindness, generosity and tolerance to allow an outsider to be present ( and intrude ) during their deepest emotional experience.

Another Spiritual,Respectful,Emotionally Powerful Image My Friend!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
definitely worth it a lot of subtlety in those files even downsized!!

:thumbs:
Terrific idea, great technique... love it!

Back home.

Permit me a few non-nikon captures.

Mount Kilimanjaro from the air..

Top of the world (yeah Steve already stole my line :deadhorse:) shots from Ayesha.
Guess that's one of those cases where "f8" is the easier part of the "... and be there" sentence :loco::shocked:

:salute:

New here, just thought I'd share a few of my fairly recent Nikon shots..

Wraped in Red - Julia by PeteTsai, on Flickr

Beautiful Julia by PeteTsai, on Flickr
Nice stuff Pete. Especially like the portrait work here.
Super cool 911 shot too, on the other thread :thumbup:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Sorry to be such a bad citizen here. I get behind and find it hard to comment on all the wonderful images being shared. All I can say is thanks to everyone for the inspiration.

I recently came within a millimeter of buying a D3s until the rumors of a D4 started to solidify. But I've decided to make the transition to full frame with a D700 in preparation for new bodies from Nikon later this year. So I've begun replacing all my DX lenses with FX-capable glass. Yesterday was the first time shooting with the D700 and I still haven't sussed out how to process the files. Love the compact body though. Two with the 17-35.

Best,
Tim

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Still trying to catch up. I had nearly 2000 images to process from this past weekend's event. About 2/3rds finished.

One from the weekend. From a Kid's Snowboot race (the oldest here is 10 or 11). BTW, the girl in the red seriously trounced them. She was fast!

D3s, 70-200/2.8 VRII
Definitely a winner Lloyd. The photo capturing the moment, too :)
Perfect timing and IQ.

(like the cute OOF little guy in the background... y'know, the one who won't win the race)

Tanah-Lot Temple..One of the most sacred Temples in Bali. The first Hindu Temple on the island.

Most magazine photos show the Temple at sunset. I am told a magnificent sight. It must be.

Only it is way too crowded and impossible to get through to the Temple at that time.

So just as documentation, here it is, in the worst possible morning light!!

Dunno about the sunset version, but this does justice to the temple in its "naked" beauty.

At the Holy Water Spring Temple, Bali.

Talking about naked beauty...
The whole series is incredible Rayyan. No idea how you manage (and, in my case, even dare, especially when it comes to religion/beliefs) to get so close in such intimate moments... in the end, great and beautiful documentation :thumbs:

Typical, Jorgen-rockin'-the-stage material!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

Eh Lloyd, you surely did not waste time playing with the new SEP2 features, did you? :D

The B&W is a super cool jazzy portrait (really), and the second photo is a nice support for the story. Special moments when people meet and gather around a common interest and passion. And all the more when it's about music ;)

(good one on the ND filter. You probably sweat over the ISO settings checking them quite a few times, imagining all kinds of FW/sensor failures, blocked lens aperture ring, sticky blades etc.... :ROTFL: Been there done that -well not exactly with the ND thingy, but i downright added it to my "wtf" check-up list just in case... thanks for the tip)

Sorry to be such a bad citizen here. I get behind and find it hard to comment on all the wonderful images being shared. All I can say is thanks to everyone for the inspiration.

I recently came within a millimeter of buying a D3s until the rumors of a D4 started to solidify. But I've decided to make the transition to full frame with a D700 in preparation for new bodies from Nikon later this year. So I've begun replacing all my DX lenses with FX-capable glass. Yesterday was the first time shooting with the D700 and I still haven't sussed out how to process the files. Love the compact body though. Two with the 17-35.

Best,
Tim
Wow Tim, this one could easily (very seriously) win a photography award.
It's simply perfect. What a "keen eye"...

Please tell us more about your sensations about the new FF, including comparing results with the D2X. And feel free to share questons if needed -there's quite a knowledgeable bunch around here when it comes to the D700 :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This one is great!

Best,
Tim

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Corlan: You are too kind, thank you. I'd be curious about how you've set your "Picture Control". I have mine on "Neutral", have you played with "Standard" or "Vivid"?

Jorgen: Thanks! I sometimes hesitate to comment on the beautiful shots of all the exotic women that seem to follow you around and pose for you. I don't want to be taken for a letch. I am jealous of your talent and good fortune.

rayyan

Another Spiritual,Respectful,Emotionally Powerful Image My Friend!
Steve, thank you very much.

Top of the world (yeah Steve already stole my line :deadhorse:) shots from Ayesha.
Guess that's one of those cases where "f8" is the easier part of the "... and be there" sentence :loco::shocked:
:salute:
Dunno about the sunset version, but this does justice to the temple in its "naked" beauty.

Talking about naked beauty...
The whole series is incredible Rayyan. No idea how you manage (and, in my case, even dare, especially when it comes to religion/beliefs) to get so close in such intimate moments... in the end, great and beautiful documentation :thumbs:
Corlan, your encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Steve, Corlan :salute:

Status
Not open for further replies.