The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

routlaw

Re: D800 @ the 45th Parallel

That's a stunner, Rob. Lots of DR there from where I'm sitting. What's your overall impression so far?
Thanks Lloyd.

Answering those questions is a bit more difficult however and honestly I'm not sure anyone should put too much credence or validity into my assessments having had access to this camera body for a day and a half ±. But will add I put it to work identically to what I normally do with my D4/D3 cameras so much of the ground work had already been laid. That said, I do like the camera and its imaging ability better than I imagined. The first day I shot the D800 side by side with my D4 and putting the amount of pixels aside for the moment preferred D4 over the D800 and felt the D4 had more DR, better color depth and for sure handled dark value noise demonstrably better. Yes I know this flies in the face of DxO Marks assessment, which I thought to be preposterous in the first place.

As for handling again I much prefer the D4 over the D800 though both are cut from the same cloth genetically the robustness and UI of the D4 is really nice. However the D800 light weight is a big +. For anyone who is used to the D3/s/x such as yourself you'll know what I am referring to in heartbeat.

As far as this particular image goes, my initial response was the camera did not handle the situation as well as I had hoped for and as such I worked this over quite a bit in PS CS 5 to get it anywhere near to what we experienced last night and even then it fell short either due to my PP or the limitations of the sensor… yet to be determined.

I have several more images I will be posting over the next day or so as I can get to them. If I were to buy one of these camera no doubt about it for me it would the D800e vs the standard 800. The only lenses I used were my 3 PC-E's the 85, 45 and 24 and felt the sensor had to pass muster on all of these before I would consider the camera seriously. The 24 has some issues in the corners so from my perspective with this lens the camera becomes a 4x5 cropped sensor unless I can figure a work around with raw converters.

If there is enough interest I am more than willing to post some crops for illustration. Otherwise the 85 and 45 both performed admirably giving the edge to the 85. Non of these lenses did well at F11 however as diffraction and loss of texture/detail was diminished by then, so as picky as I am for image quality I see this as an F8 camera at best.

Be glad to answer any more questions you have.

Rob

Lloyd

Some very interesting observations, Rob. I'm looking forward to your additional postings, and to your impressions going forward. I've seen some truly stunning studio results from the D800, but very little so far on the landscape side.

routlaw

D800 @ the 45th Parallel…

Here is another from last nights efforts, this time a two frame vertical stitch with the 85 PC-E lens with about half a degree of tilt @ F8. Sort of an oddball size and ratio but once I ran the finals crops.

Rob

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Beautiful images Rob! Nicely seen regardless of the gear.

Two puny offerings from opposite sides of the country:

Best,
Tim

routlaw

Thanks Lloyd, Tim and Matt. Those other side of the country images are looking good too Tim. Love those motel signs from a bygone era.

Here are few more from my brief soire with D800.

Abandoned school house, 24 PC, this one took a 5 frame bracket blended manually to pull off.

Abandoned school house detail, 85 PC

The Absaroka's merge with the Beartooth Plateau, 85 PC

School house with 45 PC

Thanks for looking.

rob

Last edited:

bensonga

I only took three photos with my D700 over the course of a 240 mile, 10 hour "photo outing" on Saturday to Seward. The 70-200 f4L lens which was mounted on my Canon 7D garnered most of the shots that day.

However, of the three shots I took with the D700, every one of them was a "keeper". Here's one...from Summit Lake. Hard to believe that "Spring" has arrived here in Alaska....but it's true. Notice that the small bushes are no longer buried under several feet of snow. ;)

D700 and the 50mm f1.8G lens

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.