The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Hi Eleanor - just LR4.1 and Nik Viveza 2. Processed slightly low on saturation, then saturated in Viveza 2 plus a little 'structure' for pop. Maybe lighten shadows slightly, but the default LR4 tonal curve is pretty good. PS for perspective/keystoning (wish LR would do this). But really, very little work is needed and is more a matter of taste than necessity...

eleanorbrown

Thanks jan...wish i'd get my 800e but didn't order until March 23 so no telling when I'll get one....I'm way down on the list at B&H.... eleanor

Hi Eleanor - just LR4.1 and Nik Viveza 2.

Processed slightly low on saturation, then saturated in Viveza 2 plus a little 'structure' for pop. Maybe lighten shadows slightly, but the default LR4 tonal curve is pretty good. PS for perspective/keystoning (wish LR would do this). But really, very little work is needed and is more a matter of taste than necessity...

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member

D800E and AF-D 70-210/4-5.6. 10s f/13 (3 stop Lee ND). The 8 stop ND was way too much... should really get myself a 5 stop - 40 sec would have been perfect! (That's the Pigeon Point lighthouse)

eleanorbrown

Jan are you seeing increased noise in the shadows at long exposures? Eleanor

D800E and AF-D 70-210/4-5.6. 10s f/13 (3 stop Lee ND). The 8 stop ND was way too much... should really get myself a 5 stop - 40 sec would have been perfect! (That's the Pigeon Point lighthouse)

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member

My first attempt from my visit to the truck graveyard in Jerome, AZ (with many thanks to Guy for taking me to such an interesting place to shoot).

Nikon D3s ISO 100, 24-70mm 2.8g

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member

Wish I had my D800 to shoot the above. I should have it in another week or so according to B&H. 13 weeks and counting......:banghead:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member

Jan are you seeing increased noise in the shadows at long exposures? Eleanor
Here's a crop form that shot... dark areas couldn't be cleaner. In fact, I picked up a little bit of midtone noise texture from my processing, from the sharpening. The dark end picked up none - it's cleaner than the midtones! Welcome to the concept of sharpening shadows while protecting midtones. :)

http://www.rockgarden.net/download/pigeon_point/DSC_0156_-crop.jpg

(Sorry, can't inline it without having it get resized.)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member

Another shot of the Pigeon Point lighthouse with the D800E and 70-210/4-5.6D. With an 8-stop ND.

Here's one with the 14-24, wide open at 14mm, at Heritage Grove. There was someone else shooting here and this was his idea. We chatted a bit, during which I shamelessly stole all his ideas.

eleanorbrown

Jan are you finding any hot pixels with long exposures? Several weeks ago I shot a water scene with my phase one p65 back using 9 stop nd in bright daylight and the file was literally covered with hot pixels ...totally unusable. I'm hoping the d800e will do well with long exposures! Eleanor

Another shot of the Pigeon Point lighthouse with the D800E and 70-210/4-5.6D. With an 8-stop ND.

Here's one with the 14-24, wide open at 14mm, at Heritage Grove. There was someone else shooting here and this was his idea. We chatted a bit, during which I shamelessly stole all his ideas.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member

Jan are you finding any hot pixels with long exposures?
You made me go check... and I can't see a single one. It's possible something is hiding in detail though it can't be many. I'm sure it has a lot of them actually, it's just that either the dark-frame long exposure NR handles them, or they're unmapped at the factory. Whatever they've done I can't find any, so it works.

I did, however find I managed to catch the highly elusive Two-Beaked Western Gull!

dmeckert

model from this afternoon. good kid. we're planning on shooting some more, and just hanging out as well. haha. he needed natural shots for Wilhelmina. has his second interview next week, and then is flying to nyc. interestingly...he currently stands about 5'11 (he seems to think 6', but he's no taller than me. haha)...but is seeing a chiropractor to fix his back up after an accident a while back, and will be nearly 6'2 after. insanity!

D700, ISO 400, 85/1.4G @ f/4, no retouch, just a minor crop. i knew the lens was sharp wide open, but good heavens is it prickly at f/4! this is diffused window light, with a 7' PLM as a reflector for fill (powered off).

JimCollum

picked it up this afternoon.. just enough juice in the battery to take a few test shots at a couple of my favorite locations on the way home

800E, Zeiss 100/2

800E & Sigma 50mm 1.4

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sometimes, when I have picked up a couple of films at the lab, loaded them in the scanner and the results start appearing on my monitor, I re-discover photography. Sometimes, I know that, even if I could re-create the results with a digital camera, it would take time and effort on the computer and still, I wouldn't be sure if I was there or not. Film has a way to capture the real atmosphere of a scene that I rarely see with digital cameras. The world isn't grain-free, it's as simple as that.

Would I change the F6 for a D800? I don't think so.

F6 with Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF and Fuji Proplus II 200
The film is mostly available in third world countries. In Cambodia, it's $2 per roll and my lab charges me $1.50 for development. Life is good :)

Bildifokus

model from this afternoon. good kid. we're planning on shooting some more, and just hanging out as well. haha. he needed natural shots for Wilhelmina. has his second interview next week, and then is flying to nyc. interestingly...he currently stands about 5'11 (he seems to think 6', but he's no taller than me. haha)...but is seeing a chiropractor to fix his back up after an accident a while back, and will be nearly 6'2 after. insanity!

D700, ISO 400, 85/1.4G @ f/4, no retouch, just a minor crop. i knew the lens was sharp wide open, but good heavens is it prickly at f/4! this is diffused window light, with a 7' PLM as a reflector for fill (powered off).
Nice portrait! :thumbup:

That AF-S 85/1,4G is a fantastic lens!

D

Deleted member 7792

picked it up this afternoon.. just enough juice in the battery to take a few test shots at a couple of my favorite locations on the way home

800E, Zeiss 100/2
Jim,

Love all of these and am curious about your processing workflow. The last two shots especially have a look that fits the subject matter perfectly. Congrats on getting the "E".

Joe

JimCollum

Jim,

Love all of these and am curious about your processing workflow. The last two shots especially have a look that fits the subject matter perfectly. Congrats on getting the "E".

Joe
thanks Joe!
I was always a Vericolor kind of guy (Misrach, Shore, Sternfeld )... most of my color processing is done to get something closer to that look (color negative film, 70's, 80's). The aesthetic speaks to me more than Velvia did.

I almost always put an image through SilverEfex first.. usually with a warm to neutral split tone... often adding a little grain (never have liked 'clean' images... still shoot film for that reason). After conversion, I take a duplicate of the original color layer, put it on top, set it to Color mode, and dial it's opacity until I get the look I want

For b/w work, i have a few split tones i've dialed in to dup some of the b/w silver prints I've done.. and use that

Status
Not open for further replies.