The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nothing much happening this weekend, so here's one from the races a week ago. They say that 300mm is a bit long for portraits, but I'm not a good listener, so here you go:

D300 with Nikkor 300mm f/4.0 AF @ f/4.0

And one with the almost wide angle 200 :)

D300 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/2.8

Last edited:

shtarka1

"Hi"

D3; 200mm f/2.8; 1/250 @ f/5.6; ISO 1250

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Matt, Cuter Than Cute!
Nothing much happening this weekend, so here's one from the races a week ago. They say that 300mm is a bit long for portraits, but I'm not a good listener, so here you go:

Jorgen, Cuter Than Cute!;):)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the welcome everyone! So many terrific images posted here.....you folks have set a very high bar for newbies like me. My stuff tends to be more mundane....my wife's usual comment is "Why did you take a photo of THAT?" I never have a good answer for her. Oh well...here goes.

Out with my favorite Nikkor AI lens today....that would be the 55mm Micro Nikkor. I am VERY happy with the results! If most of my AI/AIS lenses perform this well (or nearly so), I may end up returning the 16-85 AF lens....I just really enjoy manual focus etc. The detail here is the equal to what I've been getting with my Canon 5D and 135mm f2 L series lens (no slouch). I don't know how old that 55 Micro Nikkor lens is (it's not the last AIS version)....but it still puts on a good show! I'm also very impressed with the ergonomics and IQ of the D2X.

Gary
Great mundane shots, Gary. Precision in #1 is outstanding, and clever composition, strong colors on the second one.

No wonder you love the 55 Micro... it's definitely among the sharpest, nicest lenses ever made for the F-mount. Fantastic construction, feel and operation don't hurt, either. As long as you're OK with the manual focus, a true keeper if any!

Steve/Corlan/Rayyan: Thanks! :D
Corlan: It was serendipitous! :D
Liar! :D

(and congrats on the new camera. My favourite in the line after the D3X)

Lloyd/Rayyan/Corlan: Thank you very much!
Corlan: They're only teen-age bears...15-20 mph top speed!
Was more concerned with you mentionning above the earthquake preparedeness than about a 3-y old bear shoot :p
Unfortunaltely these days when you hear "tsunamis" "quakes" "tornadoes", well...

Matt, Cuter Than Cute!

Jorgen, Cuter Than Cute!;):)
+1 & +1! :thumbs:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
A bit under the weather and hanging around with a med-head. I might regret this, but here goes.

This is a completely blown exposure made into a ?

Best,
Tim
... "Into a" shot style that could very well be of interest for clients in advertising?

Nice, Tim! :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
... "Into a" shot style that could very well be of interest for clients in advertising?

Nice, Tim! :)
Thanks to all you generous folks for the encouragement.

As to a shot style for clients, I'll have to learn to shoot at ISO 3200 in bright sun with the lens wide open and the the shutter speed indicator blinking "Abort!". The thing is about 5 stops overexposed. Leather purse from pig's ear maybe?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks to all you generous folks for the encouragement.

As to a shot style for clients, I'll have to learn to shoot at ISO 3200 in bright sun with the lens wide open and the the shutter speed indicator blinking "Abort!". The thing is about 5 stops overexposed. Leather purse from pig's ear maybe?
:deadhorse:

5 stops?! That's quite some recovery... maybe there's some mid way with more control?

In my eyes the result looks at least on par with, or better than, many bleach bypass, HDR/post-processing bracketed efforts (not everyone's an expert like Rayyan) regularly seen in advertising :)

BishopB

Thanks all for your comments on my last post. Here is a shot of the same spot roughly 30 minutes earlier. Appreciate your comments and thoughts on the two...

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks all for your comments on my last post. Here is a shot of the same spot roughly 30 minutes earlier. Appreciate your comments and thoughts on the two...
The previous one may have a bit more impact and "art feel".
The light in the one just above is less dramatic, but might be technically more accomplished. What's the exposure time? Contrast though relative sharpness (tree, ducks) gives a strong sense of motion.

In both instances the square format is a an interesting choice.
So's the subtle processing, quite appropriate and conveying serenity.

Really like both :thumbup:

bensonga

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This thread is much more active than the Canon images thread and I want to take some time to comment on many of the fine images post here....very soon!

Until then, here are just a few from my photo outing and tests today. I wanted to take some more shots with the AF-S 16-85G lens, in order to make a decision on keeping it or not. I also wanted to try a few other AIS lenses. Here are two from the 16-85G, similar to those I took with the 55mm Micro Nikkor yesterday. Also, one with the AIS 135mm f2.8 lens.

I've decided the AF-S 16-85 is a keeper....and I continue to be impressed with the performance of those AIS lenses on the D2X. Very happy indeed!

Gary

D2X and AF-S 16-85G lens

D2X and AF-S 16-85G lens

D2X and AIS 135mm f2.8 lens

bensonga

This is definitely for real Jorgen.....that's a contaniner ship unloading it's cargo at the Port of Anchorage, thru which almost every thing coming into Alaska passes. I was standing at a point perhaps 1/3rd mile away (I'm not too good at judging distances). Hand held photo.....so I wasn't sure how well it might come out, given the 1.5 crop factor of the D2X and lack of VR on these old AIS lenses. I imagine that a newer 135mm AF VR lens would be sharper etc, but I was pretty happy with the results from this lens.

m_driscoll

D300 with Nikkor 400mm f/4.0 AF @ f/4.0
Jorgen: Nice! I was starting to go through withdrawal. Despite your incredible shots from upcountry, I needed race track girl photos to keep the jitters away! :thumbup:

Matt, Cuter Than Cute!...
Steve: Thanks! Always have that bit of grass hanging out of the mouth. I could photoshop it away; but, it's what the cub is. :D

...Liar! :D (and congrats on the new camera. My favourite in the line after the D3X)...Was more concerned with you mentioning above the earthquake preparedeness than about a 3-y old bear shoot :p
Unfortunaltely these days when you hear "tsunamis" "quakes" "tornadoes", well...+1 & +1! :thumbs:
Corlan: Thank you! :D When I rented that D700, I remembered how much, I liked it.

We periodically go through this. The recent events in Japan highlighted our vulnerability. Might as well be prepared. We have the potential for a very large quake in the Cascadia Fault (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_subduction_zone). The "big one". We're making sure that our neighborhood works together in that event to help each other.

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Status
Not open for further replies.