The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't have anything to say anymore, and I doubt that the images I took, stole almost, can do anything to describe the exceptional experience I have had the fortune of participating in the last four days. Not even the 15 hour bus ride back down from the mountains managed to normalise my mind. The Poi Sang Long Ceremony of the Shan or Tai Yai people of Mae Hong Son is more exceptional and beautiful, both from a visual and spiritual point of view, than anything I ever dreamed of witnessing.

The photo below is only partly related, and randomly chosen from the almost 2,000 I captured during my all too short time up north. I'm sorry if this comes out pretentious or pompous even, but my view of the world looks vastly different after this. Small things get a new meaning and big things lose the significance they once had.

D300 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/2.8

I don't have anything to say anymore, and I doubt that the images I took, stole almost, can do anything to describe the exceptional experience I have had the fortune of participating in the last four days. Not even the 15 hour bus ride back down from the mountains managed to normalise my mind. The Poi Sang Long Ceremony of the Shan or Tai Yai people of Mae Hong Son is more exceptional and beautiful, both from a visual and spiritual point of view, than anything I ever dreamed of witnessing.

The photo below is only partly related, and randomly chosen from the almost 2,000 I captured during my all too short time up north. I'm sorry if this comes out pretentious or pompous even, but my view of the world looks vastly different after this. Small things get a new meaning and big things lose the significance they once had.
Jørgen: Certainly not really comprehending the story behind that picture and although otherwise not that much after characteristics of the specific "rendering" of lenses, I really like some technical aspects here which in a specific manner intensify the impression of that great composition. So for me a great capture in any respect! :thumbs:

Lloyd

Re: Funfair

Carlos: I agree with this and with many of the others who've suggested they prefer the first rendition. I'm going to respectfully suggest that maybe there's a compromise, a degree of lightening in the shadows that stops short of the full-on lightening in the second version. Aren't you sorry you asked? :)

But this is a great example (and a great shot too, in spite of any discussion about processing technique) of a trend that I'm noticing everywhere. It seems as if with so many processing tools available, people feel the need to use them all on every photo. My own personal feeling/opinion is that it is, more often than not, too much. I think one of the most beautiful things we can capture as photographers is a real sense of the natural light. Lots of post processing can make things appear false. Which is maybe the intention and an entirely worthy direction. I have to remind myself to stay open to new ideas.

And I completely get the temptation to keep layering on. I do it a lot. And often learn something in the process. Here's an example of going way beyond the limits of "real" and maybe as far as "Comic Book".

I'll jump in here, albeit somewhat belatedly, and say that had I not seen the original, I would love the second shot, Carlos. I do like some aspects of the second, like the additional light on the crowd in the foreground, but overall, prefer the first.

Tim: Very dreamlike quality in your shot. Nice.

rayyan

Rayyan: Very "contrasty" that one (though not primarily meant in the photographic sense here :)), the mood of nature (trees and early-morning haze (?)) and then the caterpillars. Really special and interesting! :thumbup:
Hermann, much appreciated. And another thanks also!!:salute:

rayyan

Jorgen, I understand. I have been screaming...The soul, the spirit...

The photographs shall take care of themselves.

Lovely capture. You feel, you click, it happens.!:thumbs:

p.s we need someone at the pit stops too!!

Lloyd

A beautiful, and somewhat haunting photograph. Made more so by your words. I had never heard of this, so just spent the better part of the last hour reading about it and watching a few videos on YouTube. Very interesting, and no doubt much more compelling in person.

Photojazz

I like the things on this page...

D3S/45mm 2.8 PC-E Silver Efex II Chestnut Top Trail Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Wild Iris, Tennessee State Flower: 45mm 2.8 PC-E I really wasn't trying for such a narrow depth of field on this shot, it just happened.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
... and no doubt much more compelling in person.
This is one of the dangers of the internet: Because we get all the photos and the videos, the sound and the spectacle straight into our living rooms, we think we get the smell too. But we don't. And we forget that reality can sometimes be brutally more than the electronics on our desktops.

But here's a small collection anyway, my humble attempts to remember what I saw and what I heard, until I go there again.

It starts at four in the morning, with clothes and make-up.

D300 with 50mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0

Then, they gather to listen to the monk, still before dawn.

D300 with 50mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0

Outside, ready for the tour to the temples of the town, to listen to the monks at each place.

D300 with 80-200mm AF-S @ 200mm and f/4.0

The 50 or so boys, who just a few days ago were running around, playing football and doing everything boys do, are carried by their fathers, uncles and older brothers around the mountain town, dancing, not walking, through the streets.

D300 with 80-200mm AF-S @ 155mm and f/4.0

And at last, on the third day, the big parade, with the whole community participating, thousands of people, some of whom have travelled for hours to be there, and most of them in traditional clothing.

D300 with 80-200mm AF-S @ 175mm and f/7.1

Most of the boys will be monks for a few weeks only, some will stay longer, and a selected few will remain for the rest of their lives. But the most important part is the way this community works together. It's not a national day and not a graduation ceremony, it's both and more. It's Poi Sang Long.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Oh... I almost forgot; a special something for Rayyan :D
Some of those boys have sisters too :p

D300 with 80-200 AF-S @ 135mm and f/2.8

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Fantastic series of photos Jorgen. Compelling in so many ways. Not the least of which is the fact that the young lives glimpsed in the photos are almost other-worldly in their difference from anything local to me. So nice that the world still has mysteries and magic mountains.

Tim

m_driscoll

Matt: A beautiful "model" encounters a great photographer = perfect results! :thumbs: And thanks a lot for the PN, I will study thoroughly
Hermann: Thank you! :D

I love the way he is cautious and feeling his way around the log.
Like me, when I have to climb stairs!!
Like these Matt..excellent moments.:thumbs:
Rayyan: Thanks! :D...Hyperbole. :D

Color me blind!!
Rayyan: Very "contrasty" that one (though not primarily meant in the photographic sense here :)), the mood of nature (trees and early-morning haze (?)) and then the caterpillars. Really special and interesting! :thumbup:
Rayyan: +1! Hermann said it well. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

A beautiful, and somewhat haunting photograph. Made more so by your words. I had never heard of this, so just spent the better part of the last hour reading about it and watching a few videos on YouTube. Very interesting, and no doubt much more compelling in person.
Jorgen: Like Lloyd, I did a little research. Clearly, an experience of a lifetime (sorry, trite phrase). I'm happy for you. Beautiful photo, too!

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Status
Not open for further replies.