The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Ok then....my first image here on the Nikon thread. :D

I ordered a very nice D2X from KEH (primarily to use with my Nikkor AIS primes) and it arrived here in Alaska this morning. I stopped by the only decent camera store in Anchorage (Stewart's, which has been in business since before the 1964 earthquake) during my lunch break to check out the various options for a do-it-all walk around AF lens (since I don't own any Nikon AF lenses) and came out with a 16-85G (thanks for the recommendation Jorgen!). It was the right lens at the right price.

Here is one of my first images with the camera, taken along the Alaska Railroad yards (my frequent lunch hour stomping ground). I'm really looking forward to using the D2X with my Nikkor manual focus lenses and sharing a few images here in the months to come. I will be spending a good part of this weekend getting familiar with the camera and seeing how those AIS lenses perform.

Gary

Gary, welcome to the flock :)
Superb camera you got.

Lovely train image again. Sure we'll se many more from you (and Alaska).

I apologize, I'll catch up tomorrow. A quick post, and then to bed. We have an early neighborhood "Disaster Preparedness" meeting tomorrow (earthquakes).

Khutzeymateen, B.C.

Cheers, Matt
http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Another grandiose set, Matt (or is it "set of grandioseness"? :rolleyes:) .
Love them all. :thumbs:

First things first though: stay safe!

Sunrise at Coogee Beach rock pool...
This one might be my favorite from your Rock Pool series. :thumbup:
(what's the water temp, btw?)

So... I posted some pix of flowers and said we had a least a promise of Spring. Well, apparently I was mistaken! This is was greeted us this morning:wtf:

Actually, the forecast of the coming week is pretty encouraging. Temps in the upper 60s for the most part.
And we thought we had a long winter... :wtf: :D
Beautiful tones especially in the first image.

Just wondering how you can have cherry blossom under this (continuous) amount of snow :eek:

Hi all...been running around a bit with little time for posting. Here is an image from last week...
Beautiful and serene. Love it!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Peter and Bishop: Lovely and magnificent!

Lloyd: Ha-ha! Better you than me! (I know, mean right?) But you've made the best of it and captured that snowy light beautifully.

Tim

Lloyd

Yikes, but beautiful!
Lloyd, the flower pix were lovely. But I didn't know you had gone North for the winter!;)

Anyways, these are simply lovely. The first shot is gorgeous. The snow really is adding a charm of it own to the trees.

The car cleaning should be a lovely bonus. Keep you warm.

Excellent pal.:salute:
And we thought we had a long winter... :wtf: :D
Beautiful tones especially in the first image.

Just wondering how you can have cherry blossom under this (continuous) amount of snow :eek:

Thanks guys. It really was a bit of a shock. I mowed the lawn just two days ago. Truth is, this isn't typical. We're usually finished with snow here in the valley by the first to the middle of March. The mountains still see snow into May. Want a real shocker. Alta Ski resort (20 minutes up the canyon from me) has 208 inches of snow still on the ground as of this morning!!!

The snow here at the house has started to melt. Should all be gone by this afternoon, tomorrow at the latest.

Here's one more from my yard. Flowering Plum.

D3s, 105/2.8 VR, @ IS0 800, F16:

Lloyd

Peter and Bishop: Lovely and magnificent!

Lloyd: Ha-ha! Better you than me! (I know, mean right?) But you've made the best of it and captured that snowy light beautifully.

Tim
Thanks Tim. Fortunately, it's melting rapidly.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
A bit under the weather and hanging around with a med-head. I might regret this, but here goes.

This is a completely blown exposure made into a ?

And this is just a nice little wooden block and tackle I found and brought back to service.

Best,
Tim

shtarka1

Rayyan, you have spent so much money on cameras and lenses, screamed my wife.

What could it be, I thought. Not PMS, not for a grandmother.

Even with all these cameras and lenses your photos are crap. Over contrasty, over saturated and over sharpened, she added. And meaningless, she woofed.

Why can't you take pretty pictures like the others. Ones we can hang on our walls.

It clashes, she continued, with our decor. And our color scheme, screaming.

But dear, I said softly, that is how I see. They just comes out that way.

Maybe a new camera might help, I suggested very politely.
Rayyan, we All Swim Up Stream At Times!:D 2 Excellent Keepers!

shtarka1

I ordered a very nice D2X from KEH (primarily to use with my Nikkor AIS primes) and it arrived here in Alaska this morning. I stopped by the only decent camera store in Anchorage (Stewart's, which has been in business since before the 1964 earthquake) during my lunch break to check out the various options for a do-it-all walk around AF lens (since I don't own any Nikon AF lenses) and came out with a 16-85G (thanks for the recommendation Jorgen!). It was the right lens at the right price.

Here is one of my first images with the camera, taken along the Alaska Railroad yards (my frequent lunch hour stomping ground). I'm really looking forward to using the D2X with my Nikkor manual focus lenses and sharing a few images here in the months to come. I will be spending a good part of this weekend getting familiar with the camera and seeing how those AIS lenses perform.

Gary

Welcome Aboard Gary! Nice Image & Congrats On The D2X!

shtarka1

I apologize, I'll catch up tomorrow. A quick post, and then to bed. We have an early neighborhood "Disaster Preparedness" meeting tomorrow (earthquakes).

Khutzeymateen, B.C.

1. D300; 24-70mm f/2.8; 70mm; 1/320s @ f/9; ISO 800

3. D300; 24-70mm f/2.8; 24mm; 1/60s @ f/6.3; ISO 800

Cheers, Matt
Beautiful, Matt!

Coogee Pool 4 by peterb666, on Flickr
Stunning , Peter!
So... I posted some pix of flowers and said we had a least a promise of Spring. Well, apparently I was mistaken! This is was greeted us this morning:wtf:

Actually, the forecast of the coming week is pretty encouraging. Temps in the upper 60s for the most part.
It's Almost Over Lloyd! Hope You Feel Better!

bensonga

Thanks for the welcome everyone! So many terrific images posted here.....you folks have set a very high bar for newbies like me. My stuff tends to be more mundane....my wife's usual comment is "Why did you take a photo of THAT?" I never have a good answer for her. Oh well...here goes.

Out with my favorite Nikkor AI lens today....that would be the 55mm Micro Nikkor. I am VERY happy with the results! If most of my AI/AIS lenses perform this well (or nearly so), I may end up returning the 16-85 AF lens....I just really enjoy manual focus etc. The detail here is the equal to what I've been getting with my Canon 5D and 135mm f2 L series lens (no slouch). I don't know how old that 55 Micro Nikkor lens is (it's not the last AIS version)....but it still puts on a good show! I'm also very impressed with the ergonomics and IQ of the D2X.

Gary

Last edited:

Lloyd

A bit under the weather and hanging around with a med-head. I might regret this, but here goes.

And this is just a nice little wooden block and tackle I found and brought back to service.

Best,
Tim
I like them both, Tim. The blown exposure works... very hip. And the wooden block and tackle is gorgeous.

m_driscoll

Matt, the framing, color & iq are Delicious! Love # 2!
Matt, with a lushy, exotic background and a somehow more agressive PP, #1 could be one of Rayyan's collection...
#2: can't say if it's daring on purpose or accidental. I'll bet for the former :p
Matt +1. I love the 2nd one. With due respect to Corlan, of course.:thumbs:
Steve/Corlan/Rayyan: Thanks! :D
Corlan: It was serendipitous! :D

Rayyan, you have spent so much money on cameras and lenses, screamed my wife.
What could it be, I thought. Not PMS, not for a grandmother.
Even with all these cameras and lenses your photos are crap. Over contrasty, over saturated and over sharpened, she added. And meaningless, she woofed.
Why can't you take pretty pictures like the others. Ones we can hang on our walls.
It clashes, she continued, with our decor. And our color scheme, screaming.
But dear, I said softly, that is how I see. They just comes out that way.
Maybe a new camera might help, I suggested very politely.
Rayyan: The first photo could fit with some decors. The second one might be a bit of a "buzz-kill" in some settings. That's the problem with photography as interior design. I think you do need a new camera! One that would allow you to keep taking your brilliant "un-hangable" photos. :salute:

Strangely enough, my wife went with me today to pick up a new D700 (hard to find). The one that i used recently was a rental. I gave up waiting for a D800; so, now, I "owe" her. :D

Oh! you poor unlucky man. I am sorry for what fate has dealt you. Maybe prayers might help avoid such misfortune in the future.:D
Technically quite impressive, Jorgen.
Considering the angle, not sure how you achieve this. Yup, impressive.
Thanks, Corlan. It's a little bit luck, lots of practice and knowing the rules. Looking at thousands of photos captured by the real top motorsports photographers helps too, as does a few hours every week at the gym.

This one was extreme, due to the angle, the long shutter speed vs. the focal length and the fact that the cars came out from behind an obstruction just a fraction of a second before. This guy, Jack Lemward, is faster than the others, so he jumps further, giving me a tenth of a second or so extra, which is very helpful.
Jorgen: +1! Really nice. Thanks for the "behind the camera" info. We're all praying to be more like you. :LOL:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Gary

Gary: Great color and composition! :thumbup:

This reminds me of a conversation between husband and wife I overheard in a fly fishing store recently.

Wife: "You have so many fly rods already—how many fly rods do you need?"

Husband: "Just one more."

Best,
Tim
Tim: There's so many different weights, two piece, three piece, construction materials, manufacturers, etc. Not, to mention custom rods, antique rods, etc. Always room for "one more" :thumbup:

Coogee Pool 4 by peterb666, on Flickr
Peter: Brilliant color and IQ! :thumbup:

D3s, 70-300 VR:

Lloyd: Excellent photos. At least you're getting plenty of practice getting the WB of snow correct. We're expecting a heat wave here, too! Mid-sixties. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

Wow. I mean seriously, how gorgeous is that!?! :bugeyes:
Matt, this here is some serious s*t pal. brilliant vistas. Beautiful captures.
Lovely friends. Place to loose oneself in. Great stuff.:thumbs::thumbs:
Another grandiose set, Matt (or is it "set of grandioseness"? :rolleyes:) .
Love them all. :thumbs:
First things first though: stay safe! ...
Lloyd/Rayyan/Corlan: Thank you very much!
Corlan: They're only teen-age bears...15-20 mph top speed!

Hi all...been running around a bit with little time for posting. Here is an image from last week...

Bishop: Nicely obscure and abstract silhouette photo. :thumbup:

Thanks guys. It really was a bit of a shock. I mowed the lawn just two days ago. Truth is, this isn't typical. We're usually finished with snow here in the valley by the first to the middle of March. The mountains still see snow into May. Want a real shocker. Alta Ski resort (20 minutes up the canyon from me) has 208 inches of snow still on the ground as of this morning!!!

The snow here at the house has started to melt. Should all be gone by this afternoon, tomorrow at the latest.

Here's one more from my yard. Flowering Plum.

D3s, 105/2.8 VR, @ IS0 800, F16:
Lloyd: It is a beautiful photo! ;) :D

Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

Best,
Tim
I like them both, Tim. The blown exposure works... very hip. And the wooden block and tackle is gorgeous.
Tim: +1! Great character to the first and shadow/detail in the second. :salute:

...Beautiful, Matt!...
Steve: Thank you, my friend! :D

Thanks for the welcome everyone! So many terrific images posted here.....you folks have set a very high bar for newbies like me. My stuff tends to be more mundane....my wife's usual comment is "Why did you take a photo of THAT?" I never have a good answer for her. Oh well...here goes.

Out with my favorite Nikkor AI lens today....that would be the 55mm Micro Nikkor. I am VERY happy with the results! If most of my AI/AIS lenses perform this well (or nearly so), I may end up returning the 16-85 AF lens....I just really enjoy manual focus etc. The detail here is the equal to what I've been getting with my Canon 5D and 135mm f2 L series lens (no slouch). I don't know how old that 55 Micro Nikkor lens is (it's not the last AIS version)....but it still puts on a good show! I'm also very impressed with the ergonomics and IQ of the D2X.
Gary
Wow!! Impressive Gary. What's not to love? Doesn't get much better than that!
Gary: +1! Beautifully mundane. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Wow!! Impressive Gary. What's not to love? Doesn't get much better than that!
+2 or 3 or... :thumbs:

Great photos, and the D2X is for sure an excellent camera. An interesting choice for those of us who mainly stay at ISO 400 or below anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.