The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNovick

On my way to the summit trail of Black Mountain, I got down in the mud and took this panoramic of the swamp and mountains (Advice: hiking with wet feet is not the best thing that you can do! :thumbdown:).

Picture comprises of 10 photos taken portrait.

m_driscoll

Peter: A very cool, atmospheric, portrait. The haze is suggestive of a smoke filled bar?
Rayyan: This version's memorable in it's expressiveness. Did you wonder what he's thinking as you photographed him?
CNovick: Nice progression of photos. The climb appeared to be worth it. Congratulations. The merged panorama is really exceptional!

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

rayyan

Soul to Soul Photography!:thumbs:
Steve, what a wonderful caption. Grateful sir.:salute:

I'm "a bit" busy at the moment, so I'm kind of not participating, but this photo stopped my scrolling. Rayyan, sometimes you take portraits that are sooo goood :thumbs:
Jorgen, It is very kind of you my friend. I hope you are busy at the pit stops!!:salute:

Rayyan: This version's memorable in it's expressiveness. Did you wonder what he's thinking as you photographed him?

Cheers, Matt

Matt, much appreciated. Unfortunately, I did not!!:salute:

rayyan

Snoopy & Mom...

D700, 105, 1.8 ais:)
Steve, I can honestly say that I do not recollect having seen a better photo,
than this of love, expression of tenderness and simple ' soul to soul ' belonging.
Sincerely brilliant. And Snoop is the Hero!!:thumbs::salute:

m_driscoll

I usually don't take pictures like this. But, i saw the title of the book, and it seemed like an interesting juxtaposition of physical situation and a broader meaning. In this instance, "The Game" seemed lost to me.

Ashwin Rao, and I, were discussing this same photo today. He and i both agreed that somehow taking a photograph of like this made us feel 'bad" (simple, and my version of our conversation).

We also talked about how Steve is able to develop a rapport with people like this. Sorry, "like this" is all I can think of and it sounds bad. "Less fortunate' also sounds bad. He takes photos of the "less fortunate' that are empathic and bring out their character and humanity. Rayyan's photos, I think through a similar empathy and rapport, also bring out the character and a deeper understanding of the "less fortunate" people he often photographs.

I was reading something this afternoon, after Ashwin and i talked, in Why Photographs Work, a book by George Barr. When it comes to taking photos like this, I'm the "enthusiast photographer" he describes, who drops in and shoots, and it does seem "distasteful". Which, is why i tend not to do it.

Steve and Rayyan are able to create a bond, maybe ever so slight, with their subjects that allows them to photograph "a person, a life, and an attitude", not, just an "interesting face".

:OT: :lecture: I'll go back on my meds, tomorrow.

BTW; the full title of the book in the photo is The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists (by Neil Strauss)

D700; 24-120 f/4 VR; 105mm; 160s @ f/4; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

I usually don't take pictures like this. But, i saw the title of the book, and it seemed like an interesting juxtaposition of physical situation and a broader meaning. In this instance, "The Game" seemed lost to me.

Ashwin Rao, and I, were discussing this same photo today. He and i both agreed that somehow taking a photograph of like this made us feel 'bad" (simple, and my version of our conversation).

We also talked about how Steve is able to develop a rapport with people like this. Sorry, "like this" is all I can think of and it sounds bad. "Less fortunate' also sounds bad. He takes photos of the "less fortunate' that are empathic and bring out their character and humanity. Rayyan's photos, I think through a similar empathy and rapport, also bring out the character and a deeper understanding of the "less fortunate" people he often photographs.

I was reading something this afternoon, after Ashwin and i talked, in Why Photographs Work, a book by George Barr. When it comes to taking photos like this, I'm the "enthusiast photographer" he describes, who drops in and shoots, and it does seem "distasteful". Which, is why i tend not to do it.

Steve and Rayyan are able to create a bond, maybe ever so slight, with their subjects that allows them to photograph "a person, a life, and an attitude", not, just an "interesting face".

:OT: :lecture: I'll go back on my meds, tomorrow.

BTW; the full title of the book in the photo is The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists (by Neil Strauss)

D700; 24-120 f/4 VR; 105mm; 160s @ f/4; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

Matt: Very interesting and valuable thoughts!

I don't "take pictures like this" as well. Nevertheless I fully agree with you in estimating Steve's and Rayyan's pictures of the homeless, the poor, the disabled - resp. the "less fortunate" in general.

The key to credibility of a photographer for me is due to the extent and the manner he is able to honestly identify with their subject and adopt their perspective(s) (be it just for the moment of the capture and "through" the picture - and be it in a more empathetic way or by a more intellectual analytic view). IOW: Is he able to achieve an internal perspective or will he remain in an outsider's view. The latter mostly very close to voyeurism ...

For me it boils down to the simple analogy: Am I able to really speak to that subject or do I plainly talk "about" a person, a personal fate; in this case with my pictures? Probably very close to your statement of Steve's and Rayyan's ability to create a "bond".

For me, it's as well a question of "themes" and "opportunities". If the content of a photograph only depends on opportunity and not on themes, I'm really involved in, "this makes me feel 'bad"" as well, to quote your words.

BTW: I think, it's a great capture. And you indicated, why ...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Tim: Your photos often have this soothing, zen-like, meditative, simplicity. Peaceful life in the country. These go that way for me. Very cool. Order of preference: #1, #4, #3, #2. Are you a Monk, or a mathematician? :toocool:

Cheers, Matt.
Thanks Matt! You are very generous. I fear it's nothing more than playing the cards one is dealt. Since I always feel better if I make images every day and since I don't always get off the property, I'm left with looking for things close to home. As for Monk or Mathematician, while I have envied both at one time or another, I'm too jaded for one and too dense for the other.

Best,
Tim

shtarka1

Steve, I can honestly say that I do not recollect having seen a better photo,
than this of love, expression of tenderness and simple ' soul to soul ' belonging.
Sincerely brilliant. And Snoop is the Hero!!:thumbs::salute:
Most Graciously Appreciated Rayyan!

Status
Not open for further replies.