The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Manouch,

I'm sorry that you are not delighted, as the camera seems to offer so much. I'm struggling with the Cambo/IQ140, but not because of any shortcomings of the equipment.

Your football panorama looks splendid, BTW.

Best,

Matt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

You have me nervous on your comment above . I'm in the middle of downtown Portland walking around so need to see what's you have going on when I get home. Heading to Cannon beach for a few days going to play with my glass some.

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member

Matt,
As you know I was waiting for Sony but I got disappointed and bough D800E.
The sensor is exceptionally good and no problem with it but that credit goes to Sony, not Nikon.
The problem that I have faced so far, Nikon does not have any zoom lens
between 24-80 that matches or gets close to the quality of that sensor and also,
live view for using non autofocus lenses in the field is useless. Another problem is autobracketing which
if you decide to take from +2 to -2 you have to take 5 pictures and you have to release the shutter 5 times,
there is no easy way to push the button once and take 5 pictures.
A few times I forgot how many pictures I took and had to start all over again and even cancelling the previous one
was not easy. Also, when you lock the mirror you can not use the self timer any more(or at least I haven't discover yet),
I am still reading Tom Hogan's 850 plus Manual.:)
_______
Manouch

Manouch, I agree that this camera has frustrations, but some of it is has more to do with Byzantine user interface elements than actual lack of capabilities. Some thoughts in no particular order ...

-I wouldn't be too quick to give Sony all the credit for the sensor. Just because they make it doesn't mean they didn't have help with design, r&d, and signal processing.

-Have you used the 24-70 2.8? Reviews aren't entirely consistent, but mine rivals the best primes I've used, not counting field curvature at the wide end. Its biggest sin is the big dumb form factor. I use it on a tripod mostly.

-You may be right about auto bracket. I haven't discovered if there's a burst mode for this buried somewhere. Would be useful.

-It is annoying that self timer doesn't automatically lock up the mirror (as with many older nikons). There is, however, in the menus, a shutter delay mode that takes care of this for you. It can be put on your favorites menu for easy accessibility. Live view also locks up the mirror automatically. If you are not using a remote, live view works well in conjunction with the regular timed release mode.

-I focus all day long with live view in manual focus, often in very low light. To make it easier I've followed the suggestions to create a custom picture control, with sharpening cranked all the way up. Makes a big difference. I also don't zoom in farther than 100%, which you do by pushing the button in the middle of the directional ring. You can go a few steps beyond that, but it just blows up the pixels and the noise.

-I'll add a gripe to your list: lack of useful user presets. like on the d7000. They smoke some funny stuff in Sendai.

ustein

Contributing Editor

>-You may be right about auto bracket. I haven't discovered if there's a burst mode for this buried somewhere. Would be useful

By the way auto-bracketing burst only make sense with high shutter speeds. Otherwise the mirror and shutter slap would degrade image quality too much.

>-You may be right about auto bracket. I haven't discovered if there's a burst mode for this buried somewhere. Would be useful

By the way auto-bracketing burst only make sense with high shutter speeds. Otherwise the mirror and shutter slap would degrade image quality too much.
Yes, I agree. Unless you could set the interval. My only interest would be in solving the problem Manouch mentions, which I've suffered too: losing count.

One positive point ... I bracket shutter speeds on my industrial interior work, because I'm used to the images requiring HDR processing. So far with the d800 my best results have come from a single exposure, and just goosing the shadows in post. Probably when I get a little more comfortable with the camera's powers, bracketing will become a fallback for unusual circumstances rather than business as usual.

ustein

Contributing Editor

>My only interest would be in solving the problem Manouch mentions, which I've suffered too: losing count.

Yes. On the other side I hardly shoot HDR with the D800 because the DR is not bad.

rayyan

Cameras and lenses; someone like this and someone else likes that. Normal.

However, in another forum, someone was rude to a lens I happen to own and love to use.!

This was just too much..the line had been crossed. I took out my D700, put the lens on it this evening and looked around the house for something to photograph.

Too late I realized that my wife had wanted me to get this rust fixed from last
year. Made my point on one side. Lost an argument on the other.

I really like this lens.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

You have me nervous on your comment above . I'm in the middle of downtown Portland walking around so need to see what's you have going on when I get home. Heading to Cannon beach for a few days going to play with my glass some.
Well if you're in town you should go visit ProPhoto Supply in NW Portland. I know how you have a camera bag fetish and they have hundreds to chose from. Surely you need a new bag for Oregon with your D800 gear? :ROTFL:

Enjoy the coast - hopefully not too much marine layer going on. We expect to see pictures!

Lloyd

Oamkumar: Very impressive! Beautiful subject as well. (Your son is a handsome fellow as well.)

Carlos: Excellent portrait of your son. I'm a big fan of "short lighting"... great example.

Rayyan: That chocolate is killing me!!! Beautifully captured. The rust is impressive too... take an "after" shot for us as well. ;) Also, I agree about Reno/Tahoe, it is a very nice area. I'm not a fan of Las Vegas either. I didn't get much time in Reno, as I was just passing through on the way to a family funeral in the Sacramento, CA area. My much-loved aunt passed away last week. A blessing really; she had suffered for years.

manouch shirzad

Yes. On the other side I hardly shoot HDR with the D800 because the DR is not bad.
Uwe, you are right, in fact the DR is very good, but when there is a feature in a camera like D800E
you expect to be able to use it, may be not in every picture, but you know it's there when you need it.
For my Stadium picture the DR was not enough and I had to process four times in C1.
_______
Manouch

manouch shirzad

-Have you used the 24-70 2.8? Reviews aren't entirely consistent, but mine rivals the best primes I've used, not counting field curvature at the wide end. Its biggest sin is the big dumb form factor. I use it on a tripod mostly.
Paul,
You are lucky, I tried that lens and the result was not any better than 24-85,
only one stop faster which was not important for me. In a comparison test
the quality at 50 is not better than my old Nikkor 50 mm f/2 from 1968 .
At 80 the quality is worse than 80mm Planar of my Hasselblad from 1970
and at 40 is worse than my Distagon from the same era.
I am trying to test some Mamya lenses, they are much lighter.
_______
Manouch

Status
Not open for further replies.