The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 7792

Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Cadillac Mountain, Acadia National Park, ME
Nikon D800E and Zeiss 18mm f/3.5.
Pramote,

Excellent image. Sharp from foreground to background. I'm curious about where your focus point was in this image. And how you determined white balance. It's a challenging scene, and one you nailed. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Pramote,

Excellent image. Sharp from foreground to background. I'm curious about where your focus point was in this image. And how you determined white balance. It's a challenging scene, and one you nailed. Thanks for sharing.

Joe
Thanks very much Joe for your kind words.
I've almost always set up the WB as either daylight or auto. I am not very serious as I can always adjust the Kevin again in PS as long as I can remember the scene.
The light was already very good and I made only minor adjustment. You can see from the clouds which filtrated the sunlight. It's fantastic for rocks. I believe I also used the CPL filter (105mm) in front of the standard Lee holder.
I believe I used hyperfocal distance and live view (because my main elements are the granite rocks) although this lens is always sharp all the way from few feet to infinity with f/16-22 and infinity focus.
I hope you have a great time in ME. The Acadia is a very beautiful place.
Pramote

eleanorbrown

Hi Thorkil, my 14-24 is surprisingly sharp in the corners. I have been looking carefully at the corners on these recent shots of fall color and the corners are really sharp, especially at f8. I spent the whole afternoon doing extensive comparison testing of my 14-24 and Z18. Scenes in my house and garage where there was no wind to blur the shots..fabrics, garage wall with fishing gear, snowshoes, skies, etc..(lots of very detailed stuff)...all on tripod focused carefully magnified live view with both lenses...sometimes the corners were a tad better with the Zeiss, sometimes with the 14-24. used same f stop (f5.6 or f8). Corners of the Zeiss were dark compared to the Nikon and the Nikon image had a tad more pop to it and in some cases equal or better micro contrast. In some cases the shots were pretty equal in IQ with both lenses. Then I went outdoors with the camera and lenses handheld and shot stuff around my home from shots of our jeep to shots of aspens, etc...just stuff. This is where I had issues with focusing through the viewfinder with close up things with the Zeiss. I used auto focus with the 14-24. I loved the size and weight of the Zeiss and that was a huge attraction but in the end I really missed having the 14mm end of the zoom so at least for now, will be using 14-24. Eleanor

Eleanor, but don't you think the 14-24 is smearing quit a lot in the corners?
But yes AF is also a strong issue for me, for fast and handheld handling. But I gues the Zeis 18 was sharper to look at? Of your beautiful last 3, the top, 85, has a lot of splendid perspective, and I think the last, 14-24mm, is somewhat soft in buttom-corners? I must admit I had dumped the lens(14-24), but your enthusiasm do that I might give it another seriously try.
Thorkil

Last edited:

Thorkil

Hi Thorkil, my 14-24 is surprisingly sharp in the corners. I have been looking carefully at the corners on these recent shots of fall color and the corners are really sharp, especially at f8. I spent the whole afternoon doing extensive comparison testing of my 14-24 and Z18. Scenes in my house and garage where there was no wind to blur the shots..fabrics, garage wall with fishing gear, snowshoes, skies, etc..(lots of very detailed stuff)...all on tripod focused carefully magnified live view with both lenses...sometimes the corners were a tad better with the Zeiss, sometimes with the 14-24. used same f stop (f5.6 or f8). Corners of the Zeiss were dark compared to the Nikon and the Nikon image had a tad more pop to it and in some cases equal or better micro contrast. In some cases the shots were pretty equal in IQ with both lenses. Then I went outdoors with the camera and lenses handheld and shot stuff around my home from shots of our jeep to shots of aspens, etc...just stuff. This is where I had issues with focusing through the viewfinder with close up things with the Zeiss. I used auto focus with the 14-24. I loved the size and weight of the Zeiss and that was a huge attraction but in the end I really missed having the 14mm end of the zoom so at least for now, will be using 14-24. Eleanor
Thank you very much Eleanor(!) For spending time doing such a carefully review of the two lenses! You are right about the light on the 14-24, corner to corner, same clear light all over. But I might have got hold of a bad example. But I can borough the Zeiss 18mm in a store in Copenhagen for some hours, so I have to do some testing as you did. I got mine adjusted by Nikon including a free fine tune to the 800E. And I must admit I love to have such a wide range at disposal, and yes, doing handhold without AF would be annoying, unless you just rely on guessing with prefocus and f.8
Thorkil

Oamkumar

Yesterday I got my Nikon 24mm F2.8D lens and Nikon 20mm F2.8D lenses. And I could take few shots just before rain with the 20mm F2.8D. Took the picture of the river Periyar, flowing next to my house.

_DSC2598_small by oamkumar, on Flickr

Magic

Great shot as always. I don't want to be Mr. bad guy but I think there is a dirt sport at 11 o'clock either on the sensor or the lense which is also at the same spot in the previous photo (or maybe a stationary eagle 5 miles high :D ).

Greetings, Jurgen

Mt.Evans, Idaho Springs, CO
Nikon D800E; Zeiss 18mm f/3.5; Lee 0.6 GND

Lloyd

Jurgen: I've tried two different computers, and reloaded the page multiple times, but I can't get the "dynamic/motion" or "Zoom!!" Shots to fully load. What I can see looks cool. Wish I could see the rest.

Magic

Jurgen: I've tried two different computers, and reloaded the page multiple times, but I can't get the "dynamic/motion" or "Zoom!!" Shots to fully load. What I can see looks cool. Wish I could see the rest.
Hi Lloyd,

that's weird - I did nothing else than before, meaning I uploaded the photos on photobucket and right now I am at work and even with our crappy PC's here I can see it.....anyway, I try to upload it here:

Greetings, Jurgen

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

that's weird - I did nothing else than before, meaning I uploaded the photos on photobucket and right now I am at work and even with our crappy PC's here I can see it.....anyway, I try to upload it here:

Greetings, Jurgen
Thanks Jurgen, I appreciate you going to that much trouble. And, it's a great image. Nicely done. :clap::clap::clap:

Magic

Thanks Jurgen, I appreciate you going to that much trouble. And, it's a great image. Nicely done. :clap::clap::clap:
Hi Lloyd,

thank you very much, I really appreciate it. No worries about the trouble....small step for me, one giant leap...:D

Can you see the photo with the plasma ball ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.