The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Btw folks please help other members know your basic tech stuff. Lens , aperture, Iso data when posting images . It really helps members decide what they like and may want to own.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun with the D600!

Benroy,

The greens look good -- what converter are you using?

aboudd

Guy is right again. Until ACR and Lightroom support the D600 I don't know how it can be fairly evaluated. I would want to compare my D700 high ISO files, that were converted with ACR, to my D600 files when ACR supports it. Apples and apples. In the meantime I am using Nikon's view, making some minor adjustments and converting them to tif files to work in CS5. I feel I am definitely limited in my processing abilities.

D

Deleted member 7792

Btw folks please help other members know your basic tech stuff. Lens , aperture, Iso data when posting images . It really helps members decide what they like and may want to own.
Try this. It's simple to use and has lots of options. Plus, it's free.

Joe

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

I picked up my D600 today too. First impressions are that the long exposure performance at least seems superior to that of the D800 in so far as LENR isn't required with the D600 under scenarios where I would have used it with my D800.

I hope to get out at the weekend and give it some more serious testing but first impressions at least are very favourable and certainly the workflow with 24mp images is somewhat easier than with D800 files.

A few UI foibles to work through to set up the camera as I like it (e.g. it seems like there's no option to use the multi-selector to auto-zoom on playback - maybe there is but I can't find it!). For what I want this camera for the puny 24mp is more than sufficient :ROTFL:

I hope to give it a run with my Zeiss glass and the 24-85 VR that I added today. For travel I'm still enamoured with my Fuji X-Pro1 system but the flexibility of a small Nikon FX DSLR really is appealing as a complement/alternative.

Thorkil

Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Ahhh yes Thorkil, I see what you mean! maybe I will experiment with this in Corel Painter and my Wacom tablet :)...I think for this exhibition I'm going to enter, pretty much anything goes! Thanks for the idea! (I've always wanted to be able to paint, but my natural talents have always been in photography so sometimes I look for image ideas that could pass for paintings!!! eleanor
Just forgot to tell you, Eleanor, that I really liked your pictures on your homepage. And yes one can see your eyes are going for "painted pictures", the "soft abilities" to see motivs...keep pushing(!)(do also think you can expand your moving pictures, just in the way just to make them just a tiny "dizzy"(also with less long shutter-time perhaps))(hope it's okay to say so)
Thorkil

aboudd

Here is another shot from an early morning walk around Old City Philadelphia.
Tonal range seems quite good, shadow and highlight areas are quite readable. ISO 400 125 @3.2, 45MM pancake lens.

Last edited:

D&A

Graham Wrote>>>"A few UI foibles to work through to set up the camera as I like it (e.g. it seems like there's no option to use the multi-selector to auto-zoom on playback - maybe there is but I can't find it!). For what I want this camera for the puny 24mp is more than sufficient"<<<

I was assisting a friend set up his D600 and I could find no work around use of the multi selector not being able to auto zoom to 100%. Best I could find is to simply hold down the "zoom in" button till desireed maginification was reached. Hard to believe this simple feature was omitted.

As for 24mp being puny...LOL! It wasn't all that long ago we'd mavel at 6, then 12, and wow, even 16mp! Soon we'll be telling our grandchildren with their 250MP camera's that when we were young we had to deal with 2.7 MP in a pro oriented DSLR :)

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Dave - the 100% zoom was what I was looking for. Nikon marketing obviously made it an 'upgrade to D800' feature.

Btw, one of my favourite images is still a shot I took in Spain years ago with my D1 - all 2.7MP of it! :D

eleanorbrown

Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Thanks Thorkil...absolutely ok to make suggestions! I'm on a road trip right now to Nebraska, South and North Dakota, and hope to have wifi in our motel at teddy Roosevelt national park so I can send some new images. Only lens I shot with in Badlands National Park was my 14-24 hand held (except for a very few with my 35 and 85).
Eleanor
Just forgot to tell you, Eleanor, that I really liked your pictures on your homepage. And yes one can see your eyes are going for "painted pictures", the "soft abilities" to see motivs...keep pushing(!)(do also think you can expand your moving pictures, just in the way just to make them just a tiny "dizzy"(also with less long shutter-time perhaps))(hope it's okay to say so)
Thorkil

D&A

Dave - the 100% zoom was what I was looking for. Nikon marketing obviously made it an 'upgrade to D800' feature.

Btw, one of my favourite images is still a shot I took in Spain years ago with my D1 - all 2.7MP of it! :D
I guess you're right Graham....the added value feature of one touch zoom to 100% cost approx $800.00! I wonder what Nikon"s wholesale cost is? LOL!

For whatever reason, many of my favorite images were also taken on lower MP DSLR's and like you quite a few came from that original D1.

Dave (D&A)

aboudd

Ladies and Gentlemen - the idea of this thread is the posting of images from the Nikon D600. Are Roy and I the only two people on GetDpi that own and have used this camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.