The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&A

Re: Fun with the D600!

Aboud, you're right...this was started as a D600 image thread (as opposed to a general discussion of the camera)...and I should have reerved my banter for a different thread. Looking forward to seeing images, especially those pushing higher ISO's.

Dave (D&A)

aboudd

The first few shots I took with the D600 at High ISO looked particularly ugly. I was shooting with NR off and applied Nik Dfine in post on tifs that were created using the Nikon View NX convert mode. I was not happy at all with the results. Having used Capture NX in the past, I would rather not buy another RAW program, so I'll wait until LR or CS support RAW conversion of the files. In the meantime I am shooting full size jpgs in camera.

As promised, here are a few quick high ISO shots with the D600, using the 85MM 1.8G. I picked these two subjects to get the best range of high lights to shadows on both light absorbing (flowers) and light reflecting (candy) objects. These are jpgs directly from the camera resized for web display. No postprocessing was done. The focal point is the downward dog facing flower. I used aperture preferred auto wide open and this time I had in camera NR turned on.

Looking at the crops, the in camera NR doesn't look bad. The 6400 has a - for those of you old enough to remember -
a Tri-X type grain thing going on. The 1600 looks entirely acceptable. How these would look if I had the LR or CS5 RAW versions to work with will have to wait.

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member

I'm an old fart that loves cameras and has been sharing pics on GetDPI for a long time. I bought the D600 because of its compactness, weight, full frame, a good 100% viewfinder, and the 24 mp. I'm currently using 3 lenses, the 60/2.8G micro, the 85/1.8G, and the 180/2.8 AF...results have been very pleasing and I enjoy sharing these images with other INTERESTED viewers.

Not the least bit interested in high iso (never go beyond 400) or TV capabilities, or xxx fps...just want to share images...they may not hang in the Louvre, but I certainly think they are worthy of some attention and comment.

Last edited:

Lloyd

I've been on the road for the past 2 weeks... Rode across the country on my Harley, 2752.4 miles... so I haven't been around much. I was able to follow occasionally via my iPhone, but not able to comment with my fat fingers. Truly some terrific images posted here lately. Great work everyone. I hope to have a few ready to share soon.

D&A

The first few shots I took with the D600 at High ISO looked particularly ugly. I was shooting with NR off and applied Nik Dfine in post on tifs that were created using the Nikon View NX convert mode. I was not happy at all with the results. Having used Capture NX in the past, I would rather not buy another RAW program, so I'll wait until LR or CS support RAW conversion of the files. In the meantime I am shooting full size jpgs in camera.

As promised, here are a few quick high ISO shots with the D600, using the 85MM 1.8G. I picked these two subjects to get the best range of high lights to shadows on both light absorbing (flowers) and light reflecting (candy) objects. These are jpgs directly from the camera resized for web display. No postprocessing was done. The focal point is the downward dog facing flower. I used aperture preferred auto wide open and this time I had in camera NR turned on.

Looking at the crops, the in camera NR doesn't look bad. The 6400 has a - for those of you old enough to remember -
a Tri-X type grain thing going on. The 1600 looks entirely acceptable. How these would look if I had the LR or CS5 RAW versions to work with will have to wait.
Hi Aboud,

Thanks for posting these. Two questions.

1. Regarding the ISO 1600 and 6400 images, what level of in-camera NR settings did you use?

2. With use of the in-camera NR (on the setting you used for question #1), did you find much loss of fine detail? Generally Nikon NR is pretty good on retaining imnage detail in their higher level cameras, so I'd be curious how it performed on the D600. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

aboudd

I'd have to do the same shot at a more moderate ISO to answer your second question and compare them. If you look at the base of the drooping flower in both the 1600 and 6400 ISO versions you will notice a loss of resolution at 6400. More to the point however, is that there is no color noise evident.

The NR setting (that was your first question - I like to be contrarian) - is NORM.

D&A

Thanks Aboud for this additional info! That along with the test images you provided are extremely useful in assessing higher ISO noise characteristics.

Dave (D&A)

eleanorbrown

I'm currently on a trip to the dakotas..Badlands and Teddy Roosevelt National Parks. For some reason I've been compulsively shooting with my 14-24 on my
D800e. Here are some of the images from that combination. Eleanor

PS- since I'm working on my laptop which is not calibrated super well, I can't guarantee this will look totally accurate on the internet.

aboudd

Final posting on fun with the D600!

Since no one else reading this, save Roy, has or is willing to post images from the D600 to continue this thread, I am putting up my final offering. These two images were taken this morning in Arlington, VA. Both show the quality and range of the D600's sensor. From what I am seeing after about a week of shooting with it, this is a nice piece of gear from Nikon at a decent price.
The ergonomics are good, it feels good in the hand and I like the files. That is about as far as I get into the techno-geek stuff. I care only about the end result.

I hope someone will pick up the slack and show some photos taken with the camera instead of speculating, based on forums and articles, about how it compares to the D800 or the D4 or a Brownie Hawkeye. Th-that's all folks.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Aboudd, Which 45mm is that? The corners are quite soft.

benroy

Subscriber Member

So what if the corners are not sharp...you're looking at an internet reduction jpeg, not a 300 dpi 11x17. The pictures were taken for the fun of it...and shared for the fun of it. They were not shot for the Architectural Digest. The lens, by the way, is the Nikon 45mm pancake.

V

Vivek

Oh, excuse me for asking. :eek:

(There are few 45mm pancakes, fwiw, of course that should not get in the way of fun)

aboudd

Vivek,

The building behind the sculpture is a couple of hundred feet away. The softness you are seeing is a depth of field issue. Look at the photographs in the first posting. All were taken with the D600/45 pancake combo and all are sharp in the corners at the focal point.

V

Vivek

Aboudd, Thanks for your kind reply. It is the ice cream parlor shot that evoked the question in my mind.

At the expense of (unintentional) inconveniencing of some, may I assume that your pancake is the AiP 45/2.8 and not the old timer GN-Nikkor 45/2.8?

D&A

Aboud, I have been following this thread closely, since the body and it's performance interests me greatly. I unfortunately can't contribute images if I don't have the camera, but that doesn't"t mean I"m not interested in asking questions or following intently, the words and images of those who do have the camera. I appreciate that this thread was started.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

And some of those others of us that DO have the D600 also have day jobs ... :rolleyes: It doesn't mean that we're not interested.

aboudd

You have day jobs?! Interesting excuse Graham. Jay Maisel once told me that one can be a photographer while having a nine to five job. The best light is the hour before sunrise and an hour after, and the same thing with sunset. If you look closely at your D600 you will also notice it can shoot at native ISO up to 6400. That should take care of you after you get home from work. I think there is also something called the weekend that one can employ in this endeavor. I'm always glad to offer a solution to a vexing problem! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.