The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

robsteve

Subscriber
A picture from my son's basketball game this weekend. I used the 70-200mm f2.8 VR II, but the shutter speed was a bit slow. One end of the court had daylight on it, the other not. Later in the game I just put the camera on auto iso and minimum 1.500th.

JimCollum

my first day walking thru Henry Cowell since surgery (a week ago)

was great to be back in the forest again. not spectacular images... but they represented a bit of freedom (even though it was just down the street :) )

d800 & 21mm zeiss

JimCollum

Jim, glad you're up and walking!
thanks Jack. i can feel my knee again.. there's an nondescript blob between my thigh and calf now, instead of dead air (it's an odd feeling to have your calf and lower leg feel like there's nothing physical attaching it to the upper leg)

Magic

A picture from my son's basketball game this weekend. I used the 70-200mm f2.8 VR II, but the shutter speed was a bit slow. One end of the court had daylight on it, the other not. Later in the game I just put the camera on auto iso and minimum 1.500th.

Nice shot - why was the shutter speed too slow ? IMHO that motion blur adds dynamic to the shot which would have been quite "static" otherwise. It is not that the shot is not sharp, if you look at the player in the blue shirt on the right for example.

Greetings, Jurgen

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nice shot - why was the shutter speed too slow ? IMHO that motion blur adds dynamic to the shot which would have been quite "static" otherwise. It is not that the shot is not sharp, if you look at the player in the blue shirt on the right for example.

Greetings, Jurgen
I agree with Jurgen. You could have gone even slower for more motion blur and it would work just as well. :thumbs:

robsteve

Subscriber

Greetings, Jurgen
The shutter speed was a bit too low to stop the motion because I had manually set the ISO to give a high shutter speed in good light at the other end of the court. The lens has IS, so some of the sharpness would be from that and I was probably panning with the action, so things not going sideways with the panning motion, such as the ball, my son's hand and the players feet would have motion blur.

My son is the one in read about to have the ball stolen from him. He does not have a competitive personality, but you can see he is enjoying what he is doing. He eight and just started playing basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.