The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentin_Bargate

Testing the Zeiss 21mm F2.8 on my new D800E today.

and finally with the 28-300mm VR, on a tripod

A few more thoughts later, particulary how this combo compares with my Hasselblad H4D-50 kit.

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

So, to those further thoughts :)

The D800E exposure latitide is set up the exact reverse to the Hasselblads. There is very little exposure headroom with the D800E, whereas with the Hasselblad, there is a lot. On the other hand, there is much better shadow recovery with the D800E compared to the Blad. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. All this means is I must avoid clipping the highlights with the D800E.

I did a side by side comparison between the D800E with the Zeiss 21mm F2.8 and the Hasselblad H4D-50 with the 28mm HCD lens. I won't publish the results, but my subjective view was the D800E / Zeiss combo edged the battle. That is pretty impressive. My only issue with the Zeiss 21mm is that when it is used with a Lee filter system and two filters, the polariser vignettes. I may have to step down to a singled slide-in filter and see if that works OK without vignetting.

As to the other lenses, the 28-300mm G VR is marginal. It is just about good emough stopped down a stop or two, but the files require some sharpening. If I can match the Ziess and the Sigma 85mm F1.4 I will be pretty happy. I have yet to try properly the 24mm PC-E tilt shift lens.

I will probably be selling the 'Blad and lenses. The sheer veratility of the D800E makes it a compelling proposition, now I have determined it can more or less match medium format digital in real life.

Hulyss Bowman

There is no substitute for quality, Hulyss :D
This is very true :) (but I have my DP3m tomorrow :D )

As for the 21 Zeiss, this is a very fine lense. I got it for a while but, at the end, I found it too big for my uses. Long zeiss focals are a sort of drug...

And I can easily understand why you want to sell your Blad. Even though it is a good DMF, the D800 is somehow a destroyer. Future now will give us some fine new lenses, I hope, and I forget to speak about the new Zeiss 135 ... who might be a wonderful piece of glass too...

Y Sol

Some shots from a trip to Venice two weeks ago.
I had to walk the whole day, for this reason I tried to keep my equipment as light as possible:
D800, Zeiss ZF.2 21mm, 1,8/28G, 1,8/85G and a small Gitzo tripod.

Last edited:

ceh

Lloyd,
Thank you my friend.
:)
Thank you all for likes.
:)
Pano-handheld.D600,24-85 VR
5 images stitched PTGui Pro

neilvan

So many impressive images here, what a great thread!

Here is my first humble submission with my new D800 (w/ Tamron 180mm f3.5 Di). Captured yesterday while we had some nice light, and no rain for a change! :rolleyes:

f8 @ 1/100th, ISO400

Covered Crocus by Neil Vanderwolf, on Flickr

rayyan

I have gas!! Call it GAS, distention or gasoline. I suffer from living with all three!!

But this is about GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
But also have a shortage of funds. Which leads to more distention and...

So I dusted my cherished camera possessions. Amongst them, I found one.

About 5 years old. I mean this one belongs in a geriatric ward ( my wife says I do too!! Ungrateful woman!! ).

12 MP. Native resolution in ' fine ' jpg I read in the image exif 4256 x 2832.
I quickly hid the camera..as my grandson walked in. He caught a glimpse of it, saw me, looked at the camera, smiled and walked away with his iPhone 5.

Since nobody was watching, I quicky took some snaps. Did not process them,
lest anyone got curious. Thought I had saved the exif too. But had mistakenly
saved it for the web!! Age and memory has a lot to with this.

I belched. Distention, this..gas.

Here are some images at 1250 or is it 1600. 4256 x 2832. Sheesh! where would I hang these?

Heavier than me, it seemed with the zeiss 50 makro planar. f2 or f2.8, I think. No, I am sure..on second thoughts, I am not.

I quicky and gently put it back. In a place of Honor.

I shall use it shortly for a trip. Let my grandkids laugh. What do they know?

Status
Not open for further replies.