The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

routlaw

Here is a scene that has been beaten to death photographically speaking. You would think we would all learn… NOT. :deadhorse:

Anyway from an older D2x file a few years back. Never got around to editing this one but thought it might be worth taking a second look for a portfolio I am printing. Still not sure.

Thanks for looking.

Glacier National Park, St Mary's Lake.

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
A rare snow day today, and the chance to re-shoot with the D800E my favourite scene of the year so far, previously captured on an RX-1 but now rendered with a 24-70 F2.8G at higher resolution though of course the light was not as nice as the first time! Am off to shoot it again now with the Siggy 35mm which has just been couriered back from repair... Also experimenting with a new template, which I have clearly not got right yet but I can't copy Pramote's!

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Two more: the same snow scene, one from just now with the Siggy 35, which is now my third copy (they replaced rather than repaired but it still needs a +20 and I have a sense, can't test in these conditions!) that it is still not right at the edges and not as good at f5.6 as the 24-70 zoom). The second one, for anyone interested is the one I took a few weeks back with the RX-1, and goes to show that the light and conditions are more important than the camera and lens!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Admin note: I've just merged the "Fun with D600" thread into this larger body for all Nikon.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, love that first image of the tree!
Thank you Jack. I had assumed that the RX-1 (the third shot) was the nicest but actually there is an argument for the first one, which I hadn't really seen until your comment made me look again. Unfortunately the choice is already made though: the RX-1 shot is already in limited edition and the first one is gone, so I think it'd be cheating to substitute the Nikon shot!

Thorkil

Thank you Jack. I had assumed that the RX-1 (the third shot) was the nicest but actually there is an argument for the first one, which I hadn't really seen until your comment made me look again. Unfortunately the choice is already made though: the RX-1 shot is already in limited edition and the first one is gone, so I think it'd be cheating to substitute the Nikon shot!
Tim, from my side of my eyes, its still the third, but I do think its the weather conditions, that (for me at least) make it more exceptional, standing alone in the misty fog. Pictures that sort of refer to dreams are talking with our inner brain. And when that happen then the camera-and lenstype slide in the background.
Thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I prefer the subtle background fading off at right to no background and the total background. But in all honesty, I posted my response while you were posting your second and third versions! Anyway, the RX-1 shot is very nice too but would be my 2nd choice ;-)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The second one, for anyone interested is the one I took a few weeks back with the RX-1, and goes to show that the light and conditions are more important than the camera and lens!

Tim,

I probably will get ex-communicated from this thread but I have to say that I prefer the RX-1 image. :shocked:

johnnygoesdigital

Two more: the same snow scene, one from just now with the Siggy 35, which is now my third copy (they replaced rather than repaired but it still needs a +20 and I have a sense, can't test in these conditions!) that it is still not right at the edges and not as good at f5.6 as the 24-70 zoom). The second one, for anyone interested is the one I took a few weeks back with the RX-1, and goes to show that the light and conditions are more important than the camera and lens!

Tim,

I absolutely love the bottom image...stark, moody, and somewhat surreal too. This should be adorned on a gallery wall...or mine:)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. It was such an interesting snow day, with different moods and lights, though thickly cloudy and snowing all day. At the risk of being a snow bore here are two with the 70-200 f4, which I really like.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, from my side of my eyes, its still the third, but I do think its the weather conditions, that (for me at least) make it more exceptional, standing alone in the misty fog. Pictures that sort of refer to dreams are talking with our inner brain. And when that happen then the camera-and lenstype slide in the background.
Thorkil
Thank you for saying that Thorkil. My own criterion for success in an image of my own is, 'does it evoke mood or emotion' so comments like yours make me feel I'm on the right track!

Status
Not open for further replies.