The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening!

Nice shot Hulyss, were you abducted?? Did they run any experiments? Any probing??? You can tell us, you're amongst friends!

I didn't see anyone beautiful today, instead I met up with some locals who showed me some nice tracks down by the river. Sweden at this time of the year is stunning, this far North the sun stays low and has this real amber quality to it, makes everything a rich yellow colour.

Anyway, here's a shot of the river and a track through the forest, I need to work on controlling flare a bit better but I didn't mind it in these shots, some others i took didn't work so well.

Mat
Mat, you get beautiful tonality out of your camera + software combination.
ACH

M

mjr

Hey Antonio

Thanks very much, kind of you to say! More luck than judgement I'm afraid, I find Lightroom 5 is great though.

Cheers

Mat

M

mjr

Morning!

More aurora here last night, I'm trying to get the whole post processing thing sorted, not easy at all with northern lights!

Anyway, here's todays efforts, anyone got any tips?

M

mjr

Another, my issue is that the green is so bright that it reflects off the snow/foreground which then doesn't feel natural, although it is, it doesn't feel it when I look at the image.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another, my issue is that the green is so bright that it reflects off the snow/foreground which then doesn't feel natural, although it is, it doesn't feel it when I look at the image.
Nice and clear these. How does it look if you de-saturate/neutralize the colour of the snow?

bensonga

Can a Zeiss ZF.2 100mm Makro-Planar top this one?

If not, I just wasted a few $$$$.

People say that the Zeiss glass has a "3D" look. To my eyes, parts of this particular Micro-Nikkor image have that 3D look too.

Gary

D700, 105/2.8 VR Micro-Nikkor, ISO 200, 1/100th sec at f3.2

Last edited:
M

mjr

Morning!

I had another go at the aurora shots, this feels slightly better, less heavy handed with the blacks for sure, still not quite got the colour balance right but closer.

M

mjr

One more, I just took this on the way to the shop, it's just the reflection from the trees in the river, I really like the effect of filling the frame completely with the reflection, I flipped it 180 to get it the right way up.

bensonga

One of my first shots with the Zeiss ZF.2 100/2 Makro Planar.

Nikon D700. ISO 200. 1/250 sec at f2. Hand held.
Lightly processed in Snapseed (I'm away from my computer and couldn't wait any longer to play with the first images).
There aren't many interesting plants left here at the tail end of Fall, so these rose hip berries are the most reliable subjects I can find.

Last edited:

Photojazz

You got a fine lens Benson. I have enjoyed the V1 100 Zeiss for a long time. Nice inaugural shot.

I owned both lenses Benson, the 105VR and the 100 Zeiss. It is my opinion, the 105VR could not compete. Was out of it's league with the 100. as good a lens as it is, and as easy as it is to use with that VR handheld, it's still a reach IMO due to the bokeh difference alone. But fine detail I think the Zeiss delivers on another level.

bensonga

You got a fine lens Benson. I have enjoyed the V1 100 Zeiss for a long time. Nice inaugural shot.
Thanks! I think the Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8 may be the only lens which is better than the Zeiss, but I don't have one, so my Zeiss will have to do.
At least for now. ;)

Gary

bensonga

One more from today with the Zeiss ZF.2 100/2 MP.

I love playing with the extremely shallow DOF. :D

D700, ISO 200, 1/250, f2

bensonga

Ok, this is the last of the rose hip pics. Again with the Zeiss 100MP.

I'm amazed any of these came out well, considering all of these shots were hand held and the slightest movement, by me or the subject, moved the point of critical focus into the OOF areas.

It is definitely a sweet lens. :)

D700, Zeiss ZF.2 100/2 Makro-Planar, ISO 200, 1/160, f2.8

M

mjr

Nice! You can definitely see a difference between the Zeiss and the 105, just a far richer and more pleasing image. Enjoy!

Pierrard

Recently got the Nik Silver FX software and a Nodal Ninja panoramic head:

Nikon D90 + Tokina 11-16/2.8 at 16mm, bracketed panoramic exposure - top row 6sec f/16, bottom row 15sec f/11. Total 12 images stitched in Photoshop.

B&W conversion done in two halves: Photoshop and Nik Silver FX (via layer masks).

Constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.