The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arne Hvaring

The Coolpix A doesn't get much love on the fora. I've rather grown to like it a lot; excellent build quality, great colours and a very sharp lens. Pity no viewfinder.
Here are some snaps.

RVB

A quick portrait for a pal,D800E and 70-200vr2 @110mm,f8.. Profoto BD as key and prohead with reflector as kicker..

Photojazz

RVB, I experienced that same structured sky look with some photos I took with my D800E recently. I was not sure what to attribute it too, and I am not sure I looked at it at full rez. So, is that officially "banding" or is it banding like?

Experts weigh in?

I can pull up one of mine for examination as well... 28mm 1.4D/D800E Note, i did add the vignetting top corners.

M

mjr

Evening.

This is top secret so please keep it amongst yourselves, I spotted a familiar face this morning, he appeared to be out for a bit of training before the big day.

markhout

RVB, I experienced that same structured sky look with some photos I took with my D800E recently. I was not sure what to attribute it too, and I am not sure I looked at it at full rez. So, is that officially "banding" or is it banding like?

Experts weigh in?

I can pull up one of mine for examination as well... 28mm 1.4D/D800E Note, i did add the vignetting top corners.
And here is mine. I only see it in HDR images (5 different exposures +/- 1EV). But it is definitely an issue with the D800E and landscapes. I initially thought that this is a lens flare type issue, but I found it with other lenses and other lighting circumstances as well. Note both the round and straighter bands (and the sensor spot).

PS: indeed, the image is out of focus - just to demo the effect...

24mm 1.4 @ 8

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And here is mine. I only see it in HDR images (5 different exposures +/- 1EV). But it is definitely an issue with the D800E and landscapes. I initially thought that this is a lens flare type issue, but I found it with other lenses and other lighting circumstances as well. Note both the round and straighter bands (and the sensor spot).

PS: indeed, the image is out of focus - just to demo the effect...

24mm 1.4 @ 8
What software are you using to convert the raw file? Are you shooting compressed, compressed-lossless, or uncompressed RAW? Do you have Nikon's auto vignetting correction on or off? Finally, describe your workflow, specifically what color spaces you are using from capture through output?

markhout

What software are you using to convert the raw file?
LR5
Are you shooting compressed, compressed-lossless, or uncompressed RAW?
Uncompressed RAW
Do you have Nikon's auto vignetting correction on or off?
Off
Finally, describe your workflow, specifically what color spaces you are using from capture through output?
The D800E captures in Adobe RGB, but I don't think that this has any effect on the colorspace. Import in LR5 is in ProPhoto.
I use the Merge to HDR Pro function in LR5 on 5 RAW images, which exports to PS CS6. I save the resulting 32 bit TIFF in PS without processing, which imports automatically back into LR5 (without any processing at the time of import)

Here is a sample of the darkest image shot as part of the HDR series, where you can still see a hint of the concentric circles. They are there, as is the banding on the horizon. (EDIT - well, maybe not so much on this web image). The HDR processing just enlarges the issue.

Would be great if this is an avoidable colorspace issue, but this to me seems different. I initially thought it was flare, given the harsh contrasts (images taken with other lenses have this issue as well). It could be the cold or perhaps the sensor going from warm to cold - these are taken at 11000 feet and it was freezing when I was there, but the camera had about 45 mins between leaving the car and taking these shots to cool down.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

To me it just looks like the typical loss of tonal gradation in an over-compressed file.

But since you seem to be somewhat in doubt about if there is something wrong with the RAW captures themselves and since it is just an out of focus demo picture, I'd suggest that you make the five RAW files downloadable.

In that way the knowledgeable post-processing gurus here will easily and quickly be able to see if there is something wrong with the RAW captures, or if it's just a problem with the compression of the merged HDR file.

(...) I only see it in HDR images (5 different exposures +/- 1EV). But it is definitely an issue with the D800E and landscapes. (...)

markhout

I'd suggest that you make the five RAW files downloadable.

In that way the knowledgeable post-processing gurus here will easily and quickly be able to see if there is something wrong with the RAW captures, or if it's just a problem with the compression of the merged HDR file.
Makes sense - see 5 Dropbox links below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6828225/raws/_DSC8530.NEF
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6828225/raws/_DSC8531.NEF
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6828225/raws/_DSC8532.NEF
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6828225/raws/_DSC8533.NEF
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6828225/raws/_DSC8534.NEF

Thanks all - any comment appreciated!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The artifacting in the single file is a concern. I DL'd your first file and it looks fine in LR and C1, so I suspect your issue is in your HDR merge or conversion to web jpeg, either CM workflow or sizing workflow or both. How are you doing the final jpeg output for web, specifically how are you handling color and sizing?

Sidebar question is why are you doing an HDR when the first frame you show would render an almost perfect single file to work with? I'd work with a single file until you get your workflow sorted and can produce a jpeg with no banding…

Here is your first frame, converted exactly as shot in PS, but output for web in a proper fashion. First comment is it actually surprised me how much better this color is than what you produced above and I just took it straight from your camera! Yes it's a little warm and a little magenta, but I left it that way to make the point:

And here it is with a heavy vignette in Camera Raw, still no actual banding but some hints toward it:

It's possible your raw software does a poor job on vignettes and is creating the banding, or perhaps the vignette combined with HDR is over compressing. My guess is you have a major issue somewhere in your workflow, and probably with HDR, CM and/or image downsizing routines...

Status
Not open for further replies.