The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
A couple taken at the Art Museum in Quebec City - they allow cameras but no flash.
These two are from the Nikon J1 with Nikkor 6.7-13mm.

Keith

leif e

So far, this winter has been wet, damp, mild, even warm – and that´s an understatement!

D300, Voigtlander 2,5/75mm AI-S

D300. 3,5/55 Micro-Nikkor AI´d (ca. 1972)

BSEH

Think my days with Nikon is counted - but still have some Nikon files to post.
More from My jumping Indian friends.. D800 24/70 - and a hole lot of PS.

JimCollum

A Ziatype is a printing out process.. which means it develops as it is exposed.

you take equal parts Cesium Palladium solution & Ferric ammonium oxalate solution and mix them. At this point the mixture is sensitive to UV light (normal visible spectrum won't expose it, so this can all be done under a low wattage yellow bug light.. which is bright enough to read under)

You take the solution, and brush it onto watercolor paper, and wait for it to mostly dry. Humidity is very important, and I usually have the room up to about 70% humidity when coating). when the paper is dry to the touch (still damp, but you won't wet your finger if touching it), you repeat for a 2nd coating.

The hard part is figuring out when to expose the paper. it needs to be 'damp' for the development to take place when exposed, but if too damp, it will transfer the solution to the negative, and ruin it.

Before all of this, I've taken an image and created a digital negative. I use an HP Z3200 to print my negatives. they have a special profile for Alt-process negative creation on transparency material. You end up with a dark green negative after printing. There's a lot of calibration that goes on when you start.. and if you keep your variables consistent during the processing/printing... you don't need to do this often.

Once the coated watercolor paper is dry enough, i put it on a vacuum easel an place the negative on top. I start the vacuum which brings the negative into very close contact with the paper. I then start the UV light (about 8 minutes) (Nuarc 26-1ks).

When finished, I have an exposed image, but with unexposed palladium still in it.. so I run it through a series of clearing baths to remove the chemistry.

easy.

Those look wonderful!

How does this process work?

viablex1

A Ziatype is a printing out process.. which means it develops as it is exposed.

you take equal parts Cesium Palladium solution & Ferric ammonium oxalate solution and mix them. At this point the mixture is sensitive to UV light (normal visible spectrum won't expose it, so this can all be done under a low wattage yellow bug light.. which is bright enough to read under)

You take the solution, and brush it onto watercolor paper, and wait for it to mostly dry. Humidity is very important, and I usually have the room up to about 70% humidity when coating). when the paper is dry to the touch (still damp, but you won't wet your finger if touching it), you repeat for a 2nd coating.

The hard part is figuring out when to expose the paper. it needs to be 'damp' for the development to take place when exposed, but if too damp, it will transfer the solution to the negative, and ruin it.

Before all of this, I've taken an image and created a digital negative. I use an HP Z3200 to print my negatives. they have a special profile for Alt-process negative creation on transparency material. You end up with a dark green negative after printing. There's a lot of calibration that goes on when you start.. and if you keep your variables consistent during the processing/printing... you don't need to do this often.

Once the coated watercolor paper is dry enough, i put it on a vacuum easel an place the negative on top. I start the vacuum which brings the negative into very close contact with the paper. I then start the UV light (about 8 minutes) (Nuarc 26-1ks).

When finished, I have an exposed image, but with unexposed palladium still in it.. so I run it through a series of clearing baths to remove the chemistry.

easy.
wow!!

really like the end result

M

mjr

Morning and Happy New Year to you all.

I had a break from family duties this morning and took an hour in the garden. I've been meaning to take some shots of my old, knackered out-buildings. They are all leaning pretty dangerously after many years of neglect but there is such beauty in the faded paint, decaying wood and rusty nails, I think they are worthy of being recorded.

Anyway, here are a couple, the camera is level, the buildings aren't! I like it that way.

BSEH

More Himalaya, Tengboche 3.880 m BS, Everest with a snowstorm in the back.
D800 and C/Y 28mm 2.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.