The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan W. Lediard

From a recent shoot for a temping agency.. tehy supply temps in the industrial sector so we shot this on location at a workshop they had supplied with temps.
D4s 70-200

GlenC

Nathan, just curious, do you need to wear protective eye gear when photographing them or are you turned away when the welding starts?

I imagine it took some experimenting to get the exposure right for the arcs and flash together? Can you meter the arcing?

Nathan W. Lediard

Nathan, just curious, do you need to wear protective eye gear when photographing them or are you turned away when the welding starts?

I imagine it took some experimenting to get the exposure right for the arcs and flash together? Can you meter the arcing?
No way to really meter for the arcing as it tends to vary... lets just say it's BRIGHT. Looking into the arc is a recipe for eye damage so I never do... I always have the camera in front of my face once the welding starts and I have a dialog with the welder. I tend to line things up and then say GO! I then shut my eyes and shoot. After a bit of practice it really works well. I do a lot of welding photography for lokal industry and they seem to like it :D

Live view will protect your eyesm but I dont like live view... this is one area where my fuji X-T1 excels as I can look at the arc on the electronic viewfinder with no fear of eye damage. :)

Nathan W. Lediard

My apprentice has been loaned a D750 and 851.4 from Nikon too... so we did a quick shoot today after a location shoot...

Shot with D810 and 14-24 and 70-200 (easy to see which is which ;) )

Hulyss Bowman

Welcome in Nikonland Nathan ! :) You really nail it !

Printing day - Testing Hahnemühle photo pearl (310) and think this inexpensive paper is very good.

Nathan W. Lediard

A bit of fun taken by a fellow photographer (also with a Nikon) at the IPC world cup finals..
He tweeted it today with comments about rumoured built in phone on the D5.. possible prototype seen in action being tested by ME at IPC world cup.. hehehe

Nathan W. Lediard

Welcome in Nikonland Nathan ! :) You really nail it !

Thanks Hulyss :) Not regretting the switch one bit so far! Wish the Nikon flashes had radio built in, but with the profoto B2 I can work lighter and with more power than speed lights when I don't want to lug the full size portfolio heads on location... but still.. radio on speed lights would be very nice.. Apart from that its all positive!

Status
Not open for further replies.