The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting to see how that lens changes character when stopped down to f/2, Nathan. Suddenly, it looks like an interesting option.

Nathan W. Lediard

Interesting to see how that lens changes character when stopped down to f/2, Nathan. Suddenly, it looks like an interesting option.
And it still got lovely out of focus areas at f2.. I really like this lens! Not surgically sharp at 1.4, but already gets sharper from 1.6.. that said its got good contrast and looks better wide open than many 50mm primes I have tried.. Is it as sharp as the Canon 1,2L? Maybe not quite wide open.. but so far it does not seem to exhibit the focus shift problem that the 1.2 has... But to be honest I really like the "character" of this lens... a subjective thing, but I just like the "look" of the images I can make with this lens... in fact more so than the 1.2L

Swissblad

Nathan, how does it compare with the Fuji 56mm f1.4…… I know there is a change in perspective …. just wondering which route I should go for portraits…..;)

Nathan W. Lediard

I love the 56 1.2 fuji! I wrecked my standard version on an offshore lifeboat in the arctic last autumn.. I now have the APD version. It is sharp wide open and gets sharper as you stop down. I rarely use it wide open in face filling portraits as the DOF is so narrow.. but F2 is a nice balance. The OOF areas are very smooth as expected. I should probably do a head to head test, but I never seem to get around to such things... The 58 nikkor is a great environmental portrait lens with wonderful character... better than the fuji 35,mm which is razor sharp but a bit clinical and lacks the character of the 58 nikkor or 56 APD fujinon.. imo. But If I am travelling light then the 56 1.2 is in my bag with the x-pro1 or X-T1. At some point I may just get rid of my X-T1s.. I have given one away to the mrs with the two zooms... (18-55 55-300) and she loves it... but for me the X-Pro1 is still what brought me to fuji... so for the foreseeable future x-pro , 14mm, 23mm, 35mm. 56mm will be staying...

Last edited:

Nathan W. Lediard

Nathan, you should give a course on how you process your B&W portraits!

…. will you have an English version of your Nikkoreyes blog…..

;)
Thanks... :) The blog is new.. not sure yet.. maybe I should go english... get more hits thats for sure :)

I do my Black and whites in Lightroom on the whole... I have tried VCSO and I have NIK silver efex of course.. but for portraits I most often make my own conversion using the colour mixer in the black and white tab. I also use curves and levels (via the histogram) to adjust the look, and often on male portraits I use some mid tone contrast adjustment with the clarity slider :)

dwood

Here in the Northeast part of the US, (I'm in Maine) most boats are removed from the water in mid-late Fall and shrink wrapped with a heavy, white plastic material that's designed to protect the boats from Winter weather. Making pictures of shrink wrapped boats isn't really too interesting but I was at a boatyard recently where a fair number of boats were laid up, and decided to look at things from a different perspective. I find it useful to sometimes look at things that are normally considered mundane, and see them in a new light, as it were. These were all shot with the D810 and Siggy 50 Art.

Swissblad

Enjoying a few days of sunshine after Easter….. taking the 16-35mm for an outing and finding…..

… I'm gravitating to the 35mm end of its range… I wonder if that's a sign that I really need to get the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART?

Or how do you fellas explain GAS to YKH ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.