The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayyan

The D700 does not see much action nowadays. But the archived images taken with this cam, always bring a satisfied smile to my face.

Thanks guys for the ' likes '. They are very much appreciated.

I have been on a long journey searching for another cam. Not pro level. But something that could be a jack of all trades for me. The Df is a lovely niche machine. But not really something I want to take on a vacation.

I went to Dubai. I tried the mirrorless. I have the XT-1. I looked at the MFTs.
I did check out the last but one versions of the A7 series.

After all this hair pulling, the D750 honestly comes nearest to what I want.
I have a long trip planned for Oct/Nov. Chasing autumn foliage in North America.
One of my longtime wishes. If it pans out, the D750 goes with me.

rayyan

Hulyss, Alex, David ( apologies :eek: ), Swissblad, Steen and Jorgen..thank you.:salute:

St. Moritz and my Nikon.

Traveled the world with it. Never missed a beat. Except in Morocco. And Steen graciously helped me out..it was the CF card holder. Less than a US$ 100.00 repair.

Last edited:

MikalWGrass

Hulyss, Alex, David ( apologies :eek: ), Swissblad, Steen and Jorgen..thank you.:salute:

St. Moritz and my Nikon.

Traveled the world with it. Never missed a beat. Except in Morocco. And Steen graciously helped me out..it was the CF card holder. Less than a US$ 100.00 repair.

Rayyan, Lovely photo!!!

Yup, the older I get the less the gear matters for most everyday stuff. Keep posting what you consider to be "older stuff" and your musings on camera gear. Hope you make it to North America to chase the changing foliage. Maybe you can have a cup of coffee with those of the forum members who live in the NE.

rayyan

Mikal and all folks who stopped by..we ( some pics are by my wife too!! ) thank you all for your encouragement and kindness.:salute:

Me and Nikon go back some..when I couldn't afford a camera!! I would borrow from a few friends. Then got me a second hand Pentax Spotmatic with a Super Takumar 50mm lens. The lens came with the cam. Since that time 50mm is my preferred lens for anything and for a desert island. It got stolen.

Got me a Nikon and a 50mm and I still have a Nikon and 50mm is still my preferred lens. Nikon is still my preferred camera. Not the films ones..but sitll have a photomic and a F100.

Me and Nikon have grown up together. Traveled together. Laughed and cried together. Then got married. So now it is her, me and our Nikon. She prefers to carry smaller cams on hikes, but at home or at leisure we both share our cameras. We had children..the Nikon was there. We had grandchildren, the Nikon is still there.

I have Leica Ms. Love them. One of the things I hate about them..

Above Stockholm. Nikon. Leicas were made for landscape orientation. They are a bitch to shoot in a vertical orientation. Not easy. That is why most images from Leica are in a horizontal orientation.

I like to use my cameras, without bother in both portrait and landscape orientation. Nikon. No contest.

Oslo. Nikon.

I am old. New menus scare me. I need something I am used to. The mirrorless size is a myth. A very wrong justification to buy them. ( Leica excepted ).
I can as easily work a Nikon of 20/30 years as one of today.

My wife and me travel the world. A hobby of ours ( finance permitting ). Others buy and sell cameras.
We need proven reliability. A little heavy is a Nikon. But reliable, for me over more than 40 years of use.

Relatively cheaper than other toys out there. Rugged. Tested, by me. Again and again. I have proven it for myself over the years.
Nobody can tell me otherwise.

Thanks.

Rayyan, Lovely photo!!!

Yup, the older I get the less the gear matters for most everyday stuff. Keep posting what you consider to be "older stuff" and your musings on camera gear. Hope you make it to North America to chase the changing foliage. Maybe you can have a cup of coffee with those of the forum members who live in the NE.

Swissblad

Me and Nikon go back some..when I couldn't afford a camera!! I would borrow from a few friends. Then got me a second hand Pentax Spotmatic with a Super Takumar 50mm lens. The lens came with the cam. Since that time 50mm is my preferred lens for anything and for a desert island.....

We need proven reliability. ... Rugged. Tested, by me. Again and again.

Thanks.
Hi Rayyan

Nice images - and I can only echo your sentiments.
I remember begging and borrowing cameras as a student - and saving up for our 1st Nikons after we got married - a FM2, then F90/90X, back to FM3A and F3, our digital entry with a D70, and then the exhilaration of the FX D700's and glass to match.
We've used a lot of different cameras in the interim - but still gravitate back to our Nikons - tried, tested, functional and reliable.

Another image from our trip to Estonia

Nikon D700, AFS24-85mm hand held.

Last edited:

rayyan

Hi Swissblad.

Thanks. That F3 was surely something one could use to hammer nails in. From the 60s till the 90s photos made with the Nikon SLRs are a part of our history.
Just like you, I would dream of one day owning a Nikon. Sometimes, dreams can come true. Glad they came true for you as they did for me.

BTW, You used a Fuji, I used a Nikon in the Bernese Overland.:D

Lovely images.

Kindest regards.

Hi Rayyan

Nice images - and I can only echo your sentiments.
I remember begging and borrowing cameras as a student - and saving up for our 1st Nikons after we got married - a FM2, then F90/90X, back to FM3A and F3, our digital entry with a D70, and then the exhilaration of the FX D700's and glass to match.
We've used a lot of different cameras in the interim - but still gravitate back to our Nikons - tried, tested, functional and reliable.

Another image from our trip to Estonia

Nikon D700, AFS24-85mm hand held.

rayyan

Hulyss, thanks for stopping by.

Besides proven reliability in a camera, I look at the track record too. Imagine the outcry that would ensue if the F mount cameras were suddenly stopped being made.
Maybe a Kludge was offered to mount one's F mount lenses onto new Nikon cameras ( not talking about the separate v line )?

The F mount was first introduced in 1959. My most recent purchase was a Nikon Df in 2015. I bought a lens with it. The 50mm f/1.8 G. F mount in 2015.
Gives some solidity to having invested in a camera system, no?

The Leica M mount, introduced in 1954. Shows its age. Never updated. Still trudging along..on a cane. Just like me. But the lenses ( bar few exceptions ) can be mounted on their latest ( Leica's latest Ms are just that. Latest offerings. Not cutting edge. The Q? Let's see what alphabet/seperator comes next. ) Ms. Give them that.

Now take another camera maker. Track record? Already one mount has been dropped, in how name years since its introduction? Guess. What about the customers who bought into that mount's lens system? They can buy an adaptor to use it on the new mount!! Problem solved. What's there to complain or scream about. Progress.

I, personally, want proven companies to buy from. Solid product. Allows me to photograph my way. Supported where I live. And can take the heat and the dust..the cold and the humidity. I just want to carry two charged batteries with me for a trip. To many little things get lost. Heck I forget big things like my suitcase. And not about to **ss around with carrying more teeny things on me.

Take care and stay well.

Rayyan... Almost two steps to make me cry.

Thank you for this it is inspiring, authentic and emotional :)

rayyan

Now to all the swell folks that took the trouble to give my posting their ' Likes '. I am humbled. Thank you.:salute:

Let's call this today and tomorrow. Nikon D700 in Nepal.

Godfrey

Lots more nice work!

I'm scanning my latest from the F6, made with the Nikkor 25-50/4 AI-S. A terrific lens!

I like the using these lenses too much; they inspire me much the same way the Leica lenses do. So I ordered a D750 today.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Lots more nice work!

I'm scanning my latest from the F6, made with the Nikkor 25-50/4 AI-S. A terrific lens!

I like the using these lenses too much; they inspire me much the same way the Leica lenses do. So I ordered a D750 today.

G
I'm tempted by this lens. Seems to get good reviews all over. A forgotten gem. I'll give my wallet a long, good stare :)

Status
Not open for further replies.