The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
C1 does wonderful things with old files.......
If ever you need a reason for shooting/keeping raws this is it. Several times the C1 processing engine upgrades have effectively provided $k's worth of apparent camera upgrades due to better quality of the conversions. :thumbs:

I ran a few more images from the same trip and will post when I'm back home. 6mp goes a long way - we forget.

GrahamWelland

Well, I'm not recommending going out and buying legacy cameras but just re-harvest some of the images you've shot. If they were decent when processed originally then perhaps like me you'll be able to reprocess then again today with the latest raw converters and be pleased with the results.

I'll shamelessly plug my raw converter of choice Capture One Pro but I'm sure that ACR has also improved immeasurably since when you might have first processed the files.

In my case well exposed early D series Nikon files pop again in C1 Pro. Time to go back to the D1, D1X, D200, D2X, D3, D3s, D3X and D700 files again. :thumbup: Yup, had 'em all up until the D800/Df too.

C1 does a decent job with the 24-120 VR file too btw. That said, the current lenses definitely have the edge but PP correction works well.

It is humbling looking at the resolution and super high speed of the sw apps processing 6mp images. Pixel peeping isn't a happy sport but the prints are still fine.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, I'm not recommending going out and buying legacy cameras but just re-harvest some of the images you've shot. If they were decent when processed originally then perhaps like me you'll be able to reprocess then again today with the latest raw converters and be pleased with the results.

I'll shamelessly plug my raw converter of choice Capture One Pro but I'm sure that ACR has also improved immeasurably since when you might have first processed the files.

In my case well exposed early D series Nikon files pop again in C1 Pro. Time to go back to the D1, D1X, D200, D2X, D3, D3s, D3X and D700 files again. :thumbup: Yup, had 'em all up until the D800/Df too.

C1 does a decent job with the 24-120 VR file too btw. That said, the current lenses definitely have the edge but PP correction works well.

It is humbling looking at the resolution and super high speed of the sw apps processing 6mp images. Pixel peeping isn't a happy sport but the prints are still fine.
I was kind of joking. However, within a limited budget, with regards to time as well as money, the camera/lens/processing dilemma is always there. As you point out, current processing software can make a lot of difference, much more so than the difference between a D5500 and a D810 (that little plastic wonder that can be had for around $500 new really does deliver, particularly when shot using the flat colour profile), and even the D700 and D2Xs that I currently use (when I don't use the E-M1) are getting a new, brighter polish with the current version of ACR. Is C1 even better? In my view it is, but staying within the Adobe universe is very convenient, and I'm lazy.

GrahamWelland

Jurgen: absolutely agree and I know that you weren't advocating going and buy a D100 etc :) btw, you can get them under $50 today if you look.:thumbup:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
49 Fantastic Photographers and Me

:thumbup:

my random - from a vacation on Crete, The Aegean Sea

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/1000 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D

© • Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/800 sec. at f/11 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D

© • Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/400 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D

Hulyss Bowman

Re: 49 Fantastic Photographers and Me

:thumbup:

my random - from a vacation on Crete, The Aegean Sea
Heya Steen ! Nices photos of an Island I know well :) My aunt live in Mournies near Chania. She craft and sale jewels. Does the smell of orange blossom is already present ?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

yes, and fruits all over the place (I got totally addicted to fresh orange juice mixed with other citrus fruits)
a beautiful island, with kind people and a wonderful climate for the spring
we even went bathing in the Aegean Sea, I mean we are still only in April ...

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/85mm G • 1/100 sec. at f/4 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Some more from Crete

©lick for actual pixels

© • All with Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

A breathtaking nature with deep gorges where lots of buzzards, falcons and even Griffon Vultures are breeding

©lick for actual pixels

© • All with Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D

Swissblad

Weather was pretty inclement and cool here today...... studio time :cool:

Nikon D700 Nikkor AF-D 35-105mm Profoto B2

Have a good week folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.