The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayyan

Thank you all lovely people for your ' likes '. Really appreciated.:salute:

I read Nikon is having financial problems! I hope they can replace my sensor!

Thorkil, my wife took the photo. It is with a Df and the over 700 gm 24-120mm f/4 vr lens.

That combo weighs more than my wife, as you can see in some photographs above.

Best regards.

Rayyan, is this the Df + 50/1.8G that shines so well?
Best Thorkil

Thorkil

Thank you all lovely people for your ' likes '. Really appreciated.:salute:

I read Nikon is having financial problems! I hope they can replace my sensor!

Thorkil, my wife took the photo. It is with a Df and the over 700 gm 24-120mm f/4 vr lens.

That combo weighs more than my wife, as you can see in some photographs above.

Best regards.
Rayyan :), but still slimmer than my 24-120 on my D700 :). Yes its very sharp and super fine at some shorter distances! But not at 120.
Best Thorkil

M

mjr

Evening!

A little more testing of new kit this evening, got my neighbours round to give me a hand, wanted a hard black and white and really liked this as a 2x1 crop.

M

mjr

Morning

I'm after some advice from those of you more knowledgable than I!

This is a very roughly processed image, I'm just playing around with new lights and I have never used overlays, textures and stuff but really wanted to try and get something grittier than the plain background I have in the studio so gave it a go. Does anyone use these often or have any links to places to download them? Are they worth messing with at all or do they just look crap?? This is very inelegant and not done at all well but any suggestions on how to improve the addition of textures or any resources to read up on would be much appreciated!

sbarger

This Snowy Owl image is a composite of four images taken as the owl lifted off from the fence post on the right. Each image was then selected and copied into a separate layer in Photoshop and blended for the result you see here. A Nikon D5 camera and Nikon 200 to 500mm f5.6 lens was used to capture each image. Camera settings such as exposure, white balance, etc were all set to manual to achieve consistency from one image to the other for blending. ISO was set to 1250 to achieve a shutter speed of 1/2000 sec to freeze the motion of the owl.

Steve

Attachments

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Morning

I'm after some advice from those of you more knowledgable than I!

This is a very roughly processed image, I'm just playing around with new lights and I have never used overlays, textures and stuff but really wanted to try and get something grittier than the plain background I have in the studio so gave it a go. Does anyone use these often or have any links to places to download them? Are they worth messing with at all or do they just look crap?? This is very inelegant and not done at all well but any suggestions on how to improve the addition of textures or any resources to read up on would be much appreciated!

It's an interesting direction and one I've been dabbling with recently. I've always been such a "purest" and avoided any sort of manipulation other than simple curves and corrections. But I have a client who's into the Fantasy role-playing thing (think Dungeons and Dragons, not S&M) and wants some photo manipulation. If you search "fantasy photo manipulation" on YouTube, there's a bunch of people doing amazing things with photoshop. Now, maybe that's a bit much compared to your desire to add a little texture to the background. However, there is, at least in my mind, a tipping point beyond which you may as well completely cut loose. if you're going to introduce even something as innocuous as a textured background, you've already crossed a certain line. If you have one foot across the line, why not simply cross all the way over and just keep going? It can be fun and the end results can sometimes be fantastic. Regardless, doing it well and making it work takes real time and effort. Good luck with it!

gurtch

Nikon D800e. Foreground: 24~70mm Tamron VC lens. Sk:y Nikon 14~24mm f2.8 at 14mm. To fit the foreground to the sky, the format was changed from 3:2 to 4:3.
Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
D736 framed.jpg

M

mjr

Evening

I've been doing more testing today with the new lights, got my neighbour in, nothing serious. I'm really liking them to be honest.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Mat -- meant as constructive only:

First B&W looks good, but for my tastes marginally too soft. Color versions are definitely too soft for my tastes... IMHO a little bit of "less than perfect" skin texture is to be expected on "normal" models :) I will add that it looks like your focus was on her sweater zipper pull? If you are going to purposefully mis-focus for soft effect, generally best to be a bit behind as opposed to in front, though even better IMO, is attractive soft for ladies is hard to beat a white net filter; for men, hard to beat a black net filter. Lastly, if you can find an older Nikon "Soft 2" filter, it was the best out of the box soft effect filter I ever used -- even better than Hassy or Zeiss Softar versions -- hard to find and I really regret selling mine years ago...

Next, both image 1 and 2 need a tad more fill and some catch on the eyes.

#2 is a great pose -- I would replicate it with eyeball focus and a white net, fill and catch for eyes.

Net filters: White and black netting with about a 1/10th inch mesh can be found at almost any fabric shop. Single for very light effect, double layer for stronger effect. Rubber band holds over lens. Black very subtly softens with no halo, white is stronger softening and adds slight halo :thumbs:

Tip: Small hole -- like a cigarette burn hole size -- in the center of the white double-layer net improves total effect :D

Last edited:
M

mjr

Jack

I'm always happy for constructive criticism, I'm just messing about and every day is a school day!

Funny you mention the skin, I have literally not touched it, not even one blemish, nothing at all! That is her skin, honestly! Soft I understand, they are actually shot at 5.6 I think, at 100% the in focus areas are razor sharp, maybe they look a bit softer once uploaded, not sure, I like them though, definitely agree on the catchlights though, will do better next time.

Definitely not focussed on the zipper pull, it's very oof, here's a 100% of the eyes on that shot, no miss focus on purpose, what would be the point of that?!

Thanks for taking the time to offer suggestions!

Mat

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Interesting, must be some resolution loss in the upload sizing then -- eyes look soft to me but zipper pull doesn't. And this model does not need any soft focus -- if anything, tell her go easier on the foundation next time :) Sorry for my comments :rolleyes:

M

mjr

Don't worry about it, always feel free to offer suggestions. It's definitely sharp and focussed in the right place, to be honest the only processing has been to reduce the exposure as she liked it dark, the originals are quite a bit brighter, no catchlights though as you point out. With all this stuff it's personal preference, you can only shoot and process to your own vision or that of the client/neighbour!

Mat

chrism

A dull and cloudy morning here (and the sun came out after I got home again!).

[

url=https://flic.kr/p/RG74dQ]Barrachois[/url] by chrism229, on Flickr

Seascape 5 by chrism229, on Flickr

Both F6, 20mm/f2.8, Pan F, HC-110, Hasselblad X1 scans.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.