The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayyan

Congratulations!!

And lovely images, Thorkil.

Best.

Stairway - inner Copenhagen
Finally got a Df - pushed a bit by Steen's decision :)
a wonderful camera, solid, light (well not as a XT-2, but you can't have it all in one basket), well-functioning, more pleasant to deal with than the D700, only 765 gram, 365 gram less than the D700, and not the least, looks splendid..

Nikon Df 17-35/2.8 iso 900 1/125 f5.6 17mm C1 ver. 10

thorkil

rayyan

Thanks folks :salute:

Back from Dubai. My friend and his wife wanted to see what a thousand and one nights is all about..;)

I showed them the real Arabic culture and Arabian hospitality. Much better than story books.

Not the tourist version.

Thorkil

Thank you Rayyan! The Df is the best Nikon I have ever had (including the 800E which didn't want to play with me at all). It inspires me, its beautiful, and the files are so healthy, solid, the transitions on the image surface are so solid, calm and well-articulated, in a sort of modest, humble, though powerful way, that one has to beware not to sharpen too much, and don't do too much clarity either, while the surface contain sufficient power in itself. Even saturation is often best left alone or even perhaps be turned a bit down.
Best Thorkil

Last edited:

Thorkil

Aging with grace (while the young ones are coming from behind...) in Copenhagen

Nikon Df Nikkor 17-35/2.8 iso640 1/125 f5.6 35mm C1-10

thorkil

Last edited:

rayyan

Thanks Jorgen. For sure, I don't think I would do it again!!

Stay well my friend.

This is really good, Rayyan. I've tried to take this photo so many times, but never gotten as close and personal as you've ben here. It's that man in the middle, I suppose. He "does" the photo. Great depth too.

Dogs857

This is really good, Rayyan. I've tried to take this photo so many times, but never gotten as close and personal as you've ben here. It's that man in the middle, I suppose. He "does" the photo. Great depth too.
Totally agree.

Having spent a lot of time in SE Asia I know just how nerve wracking this position can be. Those bike riders brake for no man :)

Great shot and yes that bloke in the middle makes the photo. His expression is just so damn cool.

rayyan

Thanks Jorgen, Dogs...

I was repeatedly asked where I was from. I stood out amongst the locals and the tourists!!

Even kids seemed intrigued by my presence......

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It's nothing but crickets over there in the lighting thread, so I thought I'd post this here. It's one of a series I shot recently using artificial light. And, I'm playing with compositing images in photoshop. The young woman wanted photos during her pregnancy and had some visions of a playful "fantasy" image. The original idea was meant to be much more dramatic and "epic", but the winter weather conspired to work against us. This was shot indoors against a white wall using a single strobe with softbox modifier. The flower image represents the new human (now born!) who's name is Briar Rose.

I'd love to hear your critique and commentary. This is new territory for me and some professional feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's nothing but crickets over there in the lighting thread, so I thought I'd post this here. It's one of a series I shot recently using artificial light. And, I'm playing with compositing images in photoshop. The young woman wanted photos during her pregnancy and had some visions of a playful "fantasy" image. The original idea was meant to be much more dramatic and "epic", but the winter weather conspired to work against us. This was shot indoors against a white wall using a single strobe with softbox modifier. The flower image represents the new human (now born!) who's name is Briar Rose.

I'd love to hear your critique and commentary. This is new territory for me and some professional feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I like it. Lighting looks natural, which is what I mostly care about. It has some kind of biblical mood to it.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I like it. Lighting looks natural, which is what I mostly care about. It has some kind of biblical mood to it.
Thanks Jorgen! Yeah, the outfit does kind of make it seem "biblical". She made that herself. Not her first adventure with making costumes, but the previous ones (that I've seen in older photos) were way less biblical. Guess she figured the whole "mother" thing deserved a bit of restraint. :)

Swissblad

Spring here, the grass has rizz, I wonder where the flowers is......:cool:

Basque flowers in a local meadow - astonishing how quick they bloom after the snow melts!

Nikon D500, Sigma 150mm Macro

PS the tilt screen on the D500 comes in really handy for shots like this one....:thumbup:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Single softbox is good for this type shot as it emulates traditional "North window" light. So image is great as-is :thumbup:

If you want a critique, then the one thing about a single soft-box is lack of light at the eyes. A snooted light about +½ over your soft, slightly low/front-left and aimed up at the eyes would be a good facial fill.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
PS: You don't want the fill killing the facial modeling. So use a similar angle as the main soft to preserve side shadows, just enough lower and angled up, and with appropriate power to pop the eyes and forehead and highlight that slightly left side (her right side) of her face so it's a touch hotter than her arm/shoulder. Remember that the viewers eyes are naturally drawn to the brightest parts of any image :)

Status
Not open for further replies.