The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayyan

:salute: Folks!!

" Great food is like great sex. The more you have the more you want. "

Unfortunately, I don't know much about food.

viablex1

Yet another try, from fresh, no crop, not picking up whitebalance, in output "embed camera profile" as ICC profile, no saturation, brightnes down because of overexposed, highligt damping up, some sharpening in output for screen etc., some punch in clarity (11 and 7) so here we give it a try...(the girls hair was almost white)(and yet its more neutral)(by the way, so far....a wonderfull lens)

Nikon Df with Nikkor 28/1.4D at iso 450 1/640 f1.4 through C1pro10win

thorkil
Holy Moly!!!! Nice!!!!:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thorkil

Holy Moly!!!! Nice!!!!:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:eek: Thank you very much....(blushing)..:eek::eek::eek::salute::salute::angel:..(I think you now force me out in the streets of Copenhagen, with the 28/1.4 under my arm!, to investigate further...soon..very soon it must be..:thumbup:)

Thorkil

but before I do...allow me just to give a statement...for those of us who have passed the critical point of 60+..two things are allowed, one, being childish and two permission to set our mind free, but I think Rayyan would ad a third thing: in the gap between food and sex, we also are allowed to look at younger women...but that's only because we have forgot why we do it...except for Rayyan who boldly claims, that he is better at the other thing than thinking of food :grin::grin:....all we others are purely innocent while we just are thinking of ....food :grin::grin:
So naturally here come a kitchen picture...
and to get back on the track, and subject, AWB2, no twisting on the exposure, just a 8% raise in contrast, turning highlight almost full down, almost none raise of shadow.
And now it comes from the first line above, the permit to be childish: I'm just so totally happy with these colours, specially at the right side, and the filmgrain, mind you, its 12.800 iso, and everything seems to be totally ok, and sort of delivered for free,
and can't help but the Df makes me smile all the time.
Therefore I can also state: of all cameras in my life, only these I grew close friends with: Minolta SR7, Rollei 35, Leica M6, Hasselblad SWC and now...the Nikon Df.
Well, no more words, just a kitchen, passing by an open door the brain forced a stopping, and 2 steps backwards, turning right...and a push by the finger...)

Nikon Df with Nikkor 180/2.8D at iso 12.800 1/400 f2.8 through C1pro10win

thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A comment on Df default settings, and then C1 *import* recipes for the Df :D (it works well with the cooler AWB 1)

I set my Df to AWB 1 for more accurate color -- I'll tweak tone as required if there is special warm light I want preserved. The main reason is AWB deals with *mixed* light far better IMHO -- respect YMMV...

So now I set a dedicated import recipe for the Df at ISO 100-400 with the standard Df profile, minimal NR, a +4 to saturation, and a +8 to clarity -- which is micro-contrast as opposed to any macro contrast, and nothing else. All images get imported with these as defaults, and I then edit from there. I add NR as required for higher ISO images.

Thorkil

Should I start looking for a Df, I wonder...
Yes(!) I specially think that you would feel like coming home too.
But anyway, at the least, when we all meet in Copenhagen, you will be able to, in unity with us all, to participate in the synchronously slamming the Df'es on the big table :grin:
(I guess its really meant to be a yes too from Jack..?)

Thorkil

A comment on Df default settings, and then C1 *import* recipes for the Df :D (it works well with the cooler AWB 1)

I set my Df to AWB 1 for more accurate color -- I'll tweak tone as required if there is special warm light I want preserved. The main reason is AWB deals with *mixed* light far better IMHO -- respect YMMV...

So now I set a dedicated import recipe for the Df at ISO 100-400 with the standard Df profile, minimal NR, a +4 to saturation, and a +8 to clarity -- which is micro-contrast as opposed to any macro contrast, and nothing else. All images get imported with these as defaults, and I then edit from there. I add NR as required for higher ISO images.
That I must investigate in, and see if I can find out how to do.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That I must investigate in, and see if I can find out how to do.
Create the basic recipe inside C1 on a Df file. Now save it with a name like "Df ISO 100-400" or some such. Now in your import dialog box which you pull up when you insert the card, there is a box to select an import recipe -- choose the one you just made, click import, the recipe gets applied to every file automatically. Now when you view them in C1, the sliders will show all the settings from that recipe already applied, so it's easy to back them off or add to them as required.

Thorkil

Create the basic recipe inside C1 on a Df file. Now save it with a name like "Df ISO 100-400" or some such. Now in your import dialog box which you pull up when you insert the card, there is a box to select an import recipe -- choose the one you just made, click import, the recipe gets applied to every file automatically. Now when you view them in C1, the sliders will show all the settings from that recipe already applied, so it's easy to back them off or add to them as required.
Thank you Jack for advice, I will give it a try, but sometimes my brain is very resistant to new things. For example, I'm ashamed to admit: I never learned Lightroom, while after the first ½-1 hour I still could not find out importing a picture :facesmack:, and I have never looked back ever since. C1 was easy and straightforward to me, so C1 it was, and will be forever. The only annoying thing for me, is finding previously imported pictures while it seems that you either just have the import for the last few days available, or you have to see them all. But I guess there will be an instruction video I in a simple way could learn from.
But I will try your description one of the first days.
And I also plan to go to inner Copenhagen one of the first days with a tripod and the 28/1.4 to try to test out the different colours from AWB1 and AWB2, and decide which one will suit me best. Right now I'm leaning toward the warm expression.
Thorkil

JohnBrew

Thorkil and Jack: loving this thread with the Df images and the exchange between you two over settings and pp. I have a friend with the Df and he has borrowed my 55 Otus on several occasions, but I've never even held it. I will see him next month in Italy and I will play with it a bit. I suspect those big pixels will be better for color than my D810.

BTW, Bjorn Rorslett of NikonGear also shoots a Df and has a long and informative thread there.

Thorkil

PS Jack, have you created you a further opinion on the 18/2.8D?
Out of nowhere I would guess that neither the 28/1.4 nor the 18/2.8 are 100% in the same League as the 180/2.8D, the 135 and 105DC, speaking of exquisite colours (but I needed the 28 anyway and I will need a 18mm too to avoid dragging around the heavy 17-35)
?
best thorkil

Thorkil

Verona

Nikon Df with Nikkor 180/2.8D at iso 280 1/640 f2.8 through C1pro10win

thorkil

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
PS Jack, have you created you a further opinion on the 18/2.8D?
Out of nowhere I would guess that neither the 28/1.4 nor the 18/2.8 are 100% in the same League as the 180/2.8D, the 135 and 105DC, speaking of exquisite colours (but I needed the 28 anyway and I will need a 18mm too to avoid dragging around the heavy 17-35)
?
best thorkil
I think the 28/1.4 is very close color and sharpness-wise to the 180 and 105 DC -- they are a very similar-drawing tiro. The 18 is definitely sharper to the corners than the 17-35, but the 17-35 may be sharper centrally. Regardless, the 35-70 was such a versatile lens, I absolutely regret selling mine. The 18 does not have the absolute character of the 180/DC/28 ASPH genre, nor is it as sharp overall -- marginally good at f2.8, and a lot better by f4 -- but still renders pretty nicely and moreover, it is an AF 18 ;)

Thorkil

I think the 28/1.4 is very close color and sharpness-wise to the 180 and 105 DC -- they are a very similar-drawing tiro. The 18 is definitely sharper to the corners than the 17-35, but the 17-35 may be sharper centrally. Regardless, the 35-70 was such a versatile lens, I absolutely regret selling mine. The 18 does not have the absolute character of the 180/DC/28 ASPH genre, nor is it as sharp overall -- marginally good at f2.8, and a lot better by f4 -- but still renders pretty nicely and moreover, it is an AF 18 ;)
Thank you! Then I still might get the 18/2.8D, while it can suit my needs for getting wide and lightweight.
thorkil
(PS, then the 105/2DC might wait a short moment or two while I just hold my breath and get a bit down gear-wise)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.