The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorkil

Jack, I will try if I can send you the jpg picture of the smoking man, so that you can see it turn more gray when it is uploaded at the page
Best
(ps. cant find out attaching the jpg to you)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, I will try if I can send you the jpg picture of the smoking man, so that you can see it turn more gray when it is uploaded at the page
Best
(ps. cant find out attaching the jpg to you)
So...

I pulled it into CS and took a look. You likely have an issue with your color workflow and browser. You appear to be outputting the image in the native Df profile when you should have sRGB selected in your output recipe -- either from C1 or Photoshop -- before posting. (In Photoshop, you need to "convert to" sRGB before saving. In C1 you just need to select sRGB as the profile for your output recipe.) Anytime a larger gamut image (Df profile) is posted into a web forum (web is native sRGB and this is a small space) it automatically gets assigned the smaller gamut sRGB image, and this trims all colors so saturation goes flat and colors frequently gray out. My browser is color managed and I of course have the Df profile on my system, so the colors of your images are recognized and look as you processed them ---- that said they are still a tad too warm still for my liking (skin is too yellow/orange for my taste) but then I am used to (and prefer) he Df's AWB 1 for precisely this reason ;)

Thorkil

So...

I pulled it into CS and took a look. You likely have an issue with your color workflow and browser. You appear to be outputting the image in the native Df profile when you should have sRGB selected in your output recipe -- either from C1 or Photoshop -- before posting. (In Photoshop, you need to "convert to" sRGB before saving. In C1 you just need to select sRGB as the profile for your output recipe.) Anytime a larger gamut image (Df profile) is posted into a web forum (web is native sRGB and this is a small space) it automatically gets assigned the smaller gamut sRGB image, and this trims all colors so saturation goes flat and colors frequently gray out. My browser is color managed and I of course have the Df profile on my system, so the colors of your images are recognized and look as you processed them ---- that said they are still a tad too warm still for my liking (skin is too yellow/orange for my taste) but then I am used to (and prefer) he Df's AWB 1 for precisely this reason ;)
Thank you Jack! And sorry for all that bothering! (And sorry for delay, bedtime in Denmark it was). (I misunderstood something previously and used the embedded camera profile). The sRGB profile in C1 (while I would like to stick to C1) is the sRGB IEC61966-2.1, which I think I do remember Guy pointed out several years ago to use (which I normally have done since).
So people have to excuse, I'll give it another try here.
And I cant go on hiding in the house, I must go out and do the AWB1/AWB2 testing....but its raining all day it seems.... :angel::angel:
And now for the revised picture. Saturation only 2% down, contrast 9 up, brightness 25 down and exposure 0,04 up, clarity at neutral and only 4 and 2, because of the critical contrast fingers/shirt.
(and now it seems that I like it :rolleyes:)

Nikon Df with Nikkor 180/2.8D at iso 140 1/640 f2.8 through C1pro10win

thorkil

Last edited:

Thorkil

..and while we are at it...some Siesta pre-mood (and it was a very warm light through the parasols :toocool:)

Nikon Df with Nikkor 180/2.8D at iso 100 1/800 f2.8 through C1pro10win

thorkil

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This an outtake from a recent shoot with a friend's daughter. It represents new territory for me, using a softbox outside for the first time. I have a lot to learn but can see the potential. Also, I think I'm kind of in love with the new Nikkor 105. I took a big gulp and set the lens wide open at 1.4.

Abby.Water.Hand.jpg

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Jack! And sorry for all that bothering! (And sorry for delay, bedtime in Denmark it was). (I misunderstood something previously and used the embedded camera profile). The sRGB profile in C1 (while I would like to stick to C1) is the sRGB IEC61966-2.1, which I think I do remember Guy pointed out several years ago to use (which I normally have done since).
So people have to excuse, I'll give it another try here.
And I cant go on hiding in the house, I must go out and do the AWB1/AWB2 testing....but its raining all day it seems.... :angel::angel:
And now for the revised picture. Saturation only 2% down, contrast 9 up, brightness 25 down and exposure 0,04 up, clarity at neutral and only 4 and 2, because of the critical contrast fingers/shirt.
(and now it seems that I like it :rolleyes:)

Nikon Df with Nikkor 180/2.8D at iso 140 1/640 f2.8 through C1pro10win

thorkil
Apologies for taking a picture thread off topic, but want to add some more clarification on proper workflow. We import the image using the dedicated camera color-space, or some other space we KNOW will work for our subject. (For example, if I were a studio product photographer, I would have and use a camera profile made and dedicated for that camera with my studio strobes as the light source.) Once in our editing environment, we want to (usually) edit in the OUTPUT space we'll be sending the image to. In the case of web, since many don't have color managed web browsers, we want to select the default web colorspace of 8-bit sRGB. If I'm printing, I may keep the image in the camera's working space, or go to a larger space like 16-bit Profoto so I don't "loose" as many colors with more extreme edits I might make. So, in this case I might work the image in 16-bit Profoto to my final print output look and feel, then output that as a tiff for print, then via my Photoshop web converter action, convert that to whatever size 8-bit sRGB I need to post on the web. Alternatively, I can toggle my selected recipe in C1 to web, and see what the image looks like in sRGB; if I like it, I simply process it out as directly a web jpeg, if I don't like it, I'll do additional edits to get it looking the way I want in the web sRGB recipe, then process out that version for the web upload.

Hopefully this short explanation better clarifies and makes sense.

Last edited:

Thorkil

Apologies for taking a picture thread off topic, but want to add some more clarification on proper workflow. We import the image using the dedicated camera color-space, or some other space we KNOW will work for our subject. (For example, if I were a studio product photographer, I would have and use a camera profile made and dedicated for that camera with my studio strobes as the light source.) Once in our editing environment, we want to (usually) edit in the OUTPUT space we'll be sending the image to. In the case of web, since many don't have color managed web browsers, we want to select the default web colorspace of 8-bit sRGB. If I'm printing, I may keep the image in the camera's working space, or go to a larger space like 16-bit Profoto so I don't "loose" as many colors with more extreme edits I might make. So, in this case I might work the image in 16-bit Profoto to my final print output look and feel, then output that as a tiff for print, then via my Photoshop web converter action, convert that to whatever size 8-bit sRGB I need to post on the web. Alternatively, I can toggle my selected recipe in C1 to web, and see what the image looks like in sRGB; if I like it, I simply process it out as directly a web jpeg, if I don't like it, I'll do additional edits to get it looking the way I want in the web sRGB recipe, then process out that version for the web upload.

Hopefully this short explanation better clarifies and makes sense.
Thank you, Jack, for trying to clarify things for me (and for others that wasn't fully aware of the, not simple, process involved for at sufficient high level output for different media). I must admit I had to read it for a couple of times :) and I must realize it was above my head, at first, and for my part, there will be some things to catch up with/read upon while my knowledge is limited for the processes involved. For my own part I will try to avoid Photoshop, and try to stick solely with C1 and see if I can get sufficient quality here. I must try the small steps, and start with the input as you instructed in previously, test the AWB and so. I always just use Chrome in incognito as browser, and I don’t know if I have to do something here colourwise, but I presume not. "16-bit Profoto"-action etc. for printing demand greater knowledge for my part, but I must see at which level I will be able to catch up upon in this "background engineering" :rolleyes:
:thumbup: Thorkil

Thorkil

solely for noses of fine ladies...

Nikon Df with Nikkor 180/2.8D at iso 11.400 1/640 f2.8 through C1pro10win
for the fine ladies of Verona

thorkil

Thorkil

Wonderful picture Darlene!, soft, calm, exquisite

at the walk in the wood, brought the Df and the 180D, just for trying out the difference between AWB 1 and 2, but actually I dont think they differ that much in colour. So perhaps better try in the city with more warm colours from facades.

AWB 1 no pp. in exposure apart from slight sharpening and clarity at 10, structure at 3 in natural setting

Nikon Df with Nikkor 180/2.8D at iso 160 1/400 f2.8 through C1pro10win

AWB 2​

Nikon Df with Nikkor 180/2.8D at iso 180 1/400 f2.8 through C1pro10win

thorkil

Thorkil

while being out in the wood, AWB1, no pp. apart from as previous mentioned

Nikon Df with Nikkor 180/2.8D at iso 100 1/500 f2.8 through C1pro10win

thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
@ Thorkil: Just checking, but when you process are you using the white balance setting "as shot" in the C1 menu?

stngoldberg

This is not much of an image, but the back story is interesting.
Last evening, at dusk, a local policeman rang our doorbell to inform us that the Navy seals were about to commence an exercise in which they would swim from the boat (pictured here) to shore using night vision goggles; then there were going to fire blank rounds as they invaded a neighboring street. You can see the seals huddled on the deck of the boat

The boat was about a mile off shore and the image was taken with a D810 at iso 64,000 f 5.6 at 1/10 sec lens was Nikon 500 f4 with 1.4 extender
Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.