The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I can't remember if I posted these already. I thought I did. From a trip to a local woolen mill that uses 100-year-old machinery to make yarn from local sheep. Wonderful old machinery still going strong.

BARTLET.YARNS136.jpg

BARTLET.YARNS134.jpg

BARTLET.YARNS132.jpg

chrism

Just curious, which 28 f1.4 did you use, and at what aperture?
It was my newly acquired AF Nikkor 28/1.4D, and since the film was ASA400 I could only open up to f3.5 before hitting the fastest shutter speed of 1/8000 for most of the film. That one was at f8.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It was my newly acquired AF Nikkor 28/1.4D, and since the film was ASA400 I could only open up to f3.5 before hitting the fastest shutter speed of 1/8000 for most of the film. That one was at f8.
Thanks for clarifying -- I assumed it was the original and at a smaller aperture as it had that look ;)

chrism

Was there one before the 28/1.4D? Mine is the one discontinued in 2006. The new one, AF-S 28/1.4E ED, won't work on an F6.

rayyan

Thanks folks :salute:

" If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written upon the heart. The spirit should never grow old. "

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
anyone got experience with the 24/2.8 Ais? is it too weak?
thorkil
Vanilla, plain. It's sharp enough for the Df but won't have the look you want to match your other glass.

IMHO, one of the best "look" 24's was my 17-35/2.8 AF-S at 24. In fact, it was the best "look" 17/18, 20/21 and 24 I owned at the time. The extreme edges went little softer than a good prime, but it had laser-sharp central 2/3rds and held much of the special look throughout the zoom range. It's a lens I wish I had never sold. But it was largish and I felt the ART 24 would be better all-around landscape lens and so I sold it to fund the ART 24. Which is a very nice lens, but about the same size and as heavy, and not as versatile without 20 and 17 covered. I now hold hope for the 18 in that range, but haven't had enough time with it to determine.

FWIW, the ART 24 is a spectacular performer, and has nice character at the open apertures -- similar to, but not exactly like your existing look glass. It is also laser-sharp across the entire field when stopped down, so more of a "two-fer" giving you both character at open apertures and a "laser sharp from here to there" stopped down, so definitely worthy of consideration. Plus, it's priced about the same as Nikon's f1.8 lens and I absolutely think it's a better buy -- if you can deal with the size...

I recently picked up a 24-70/2.8 AF-S G (non VR) and am also experimenting with it. It would prove a little more versatile than the 17-35 for my needs, especially as a travel lens, but also largish -- but then also a great all-in-one range. It remains to be seen about its character, so stay tuned.

Thorkil

Thank you John and Jack.
Yes, I think I will leave it alone. And perhaps also leave my creditcard in behind locks, while I ought to consider, that I right now have more than enough glass to experiment the rest of my life (and the Fujisystem are feeling lonesome these days)
I still got the 17-35/D-ED, so you are allowed for full-envy :cool: But yes its rather heavy, but I was very satiesfied with the pictures I also posted here, sharpness, colours.
But right now I just have to live-out my prime-phase. And I think going wide I will just settle down with the 18/2.8D and the wonderful 28/1.4D, and for loose streetshots one could perhaps also consider, in the gap, to use the 20/2.8D too.
And no, I won't go for more zooms and more weight, at least right now.
I was shortly considering the 25/2 ZF.2 Zeiss (and also the 21/2 used), while there is 20% discount right now, but no, looking at the pictures, yes its wonderful sharp, but with some too heavy contrasts and colours for my liking, right now.
And the Sigma 24 ART if its just as heavy and big as the 17-35 (you have to buy it again, Jack :toocool:), so no, then just as well the 17-35.
It could be nice if I could persuade my lazy body to drive to the harbour tomorrow morning, just with the 18/2.8 and the 28/1.4.
Thorkil

Status
Not open for further replies.