The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I bought a D610 from a fellow forum member. Nice camera. Here's the "brick wall shot" :)

The Bakelite 85mm still works, even though it sounds like a gearbox breakdown when focusing.

D610 with 85mm f/1.8 AF @ f/4

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
But I still think mine <18 af> is rather bad on the edges, ok, but I will keep it for the time being.
Thorkil, sorry I am late replying here, just noticed this comment after a PM enquiry on the 18. Anyway, mine isn't great at the corners either -- but it's still a better lens than the 20 if you crop the 18 to a 20 framing ;)

Thorkil

Thorkil, sorry I am late replying here, just noticed this comment after a PM enquiry on the 18. Anyway, mine isn't great at the corners either -- but it's still a better lens than the 20 if you crop the 18 to a 20 framing ;)
Jack, thanks for (even late...:p) answer. Yes I will keep it (at least a couple of weeks.. :D). If money wasn't an issue, my wide wish-list are: 20/1.4 ART Sigma(its not great in the corners either-but on a higher level perhaps-just for the sheer center-sharpness-fun)(and Bart is entirely to blame in the Sony-fun)(and I'm already preparing by some few arm-push-ups per day)(the store has two to chose between and testing), (+ perhaps the nikkor 20/1.8 for lightweight-relaxing-reserve, when the Sigma-arm gets too long, but not in first step) and then still the 24/1.8 Nikkor which I more and more consider as super-splendid (but still promise to give the 24/1.4 Sigma ART a little chance, but I'm turned 75% towards the Nikkor..) ...but then there is the gear-stop I have given myself, and I'm still fighting a hard struggle to be faithfull...:shocked:..(and the worst thing: there is a sale tomorrow in the store, so I better stay home all day)

JohnBrew

Wow, Paul. That is just awesome. It seems to me that C1 really does great with colors. The image is very sharp - to what do you attribute that? D850, lens, C1 or a combination thereof?
Anyway, congrats.
John

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I've been trying to recreate the emotional response produced by medium and large format transparencies on a light table... With the D800E and some judicious, careful processing. There's something very unique about this I think that lends itself to landscapes and wildlife.

Bryce Canyon:

Grey Wolf at the West Yellowstone Wolf & Grizzly Discovery Center:

Mammoth hot springs terrace, YNP:

Summer afternoon thunderclouds, southern Utah:

Grand Canyon, Northern Rim:

Desert Bighorn, Zion NP:

Bighorn buck:

And revisiting some South African wildlife:

This bull chased us off into the bush!

Nyala:

More heffalumps:

And, finally, since this is already too long, nap time:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Very nice Jan -- you definitely captured some of the "pop" that the chromes on the light table produced :thumbs:

With wide gamut cams like the D800/810/850, I find I almost ALWAYS have to add black to get them looking right. Then of course almost as frequently have to bump up the white end a bit too :lol:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Motivated by Jan's tranny on light table post, I was perusing some older D810 images and ran across this one that I don't think I've shared yet:

D810, 50 ART at f8

I shared this one a while back, but post it here again because it's same exact location as above, just 5 minutes later and 30 feet to the left, simply to show how fast the light changes when trying to shoot a well-composed landscape at "prime" sunset. This is also from a workshop and there about ten of us juggling, moving around, setting up and getting similar shots without bumping into each other :thumbs: :

D810, 24 PC-E at f8 (PS: the "halo" around the monolith is a naturally occurring phenomenon -- I did not mask in the sky on this. I theorize it's due to the bright sunlight behind the monolith diffracting around its edges.)

Mr.Gale

A few weeks ago I was on a 10 day road trip That took me as far east as Capital Reef N.P. While in CR I decided to drive out to Cathedral Valley to shoot "The temples of the Sun and the Moon" at sunset and sunrise. Sunset didn't work out but sunrise was spectacular. This morning was the only time there was a cloud in the sky, got to get lucky once in a while.
The first one I took when it was just starting to get light, you can still see a few stars. Nikon D850, 24-70mm G @ 32mm - 30 sec. @ f2.8
The second at sunrise. Nikon D850 24-70mm G @ 36mm - 1.6 sec. @f8

Mr.G

Attachments

Paul2660

Wow, Paul. That is just awesome. It seems to me that C1 really does great with colors. The image is very sharp - to what do you attribute that? D850, lens, C1 or a combination thereof?
Anyway, congrats.
John
Hi John,

I always input to Flickr, with my final image. Flickr adds a bit of sharpening it seems, but I just leave it due to time.

C1 does very well with the colors from the D850, which overall are a huge step forward from the D810 (IMO), C1 to me currently also has a cleaner conversion than Adobe. Adobe LR also has converted back to Adobe standard for the profile instead of Camera profile in the latest LR, and that took me a few days to realize. Huge difference there also and not sure why Adobe went back.

Paul Caldwell

Mr.Gale

In the desert outside Bishop, there is a pictograph panel on top of a flat rock appropriately named "Sky Rock". I've wanted to photograph it for years and with some help from a friend I finally found it.
Nikon D850, 24-70mm lens

Mr.G

Attachments

JohnBrew

Hi John,

I always input to Flickr, with my final image. Flickr adds a bit of sharpening it seems, but I just leave it due to time.

C1 does very well with the colors from the D850, which overall are a huge step forward from the D810 (IMO), C1 to me currently also has a cleaner conversion than Adobe. Adobe LR also has converted back to Adobe standard for the profile instead of Camera profile in the latest LR, and that took me a few days to realize. Huge difference there also and not sure why Adobe went back.

Paul Caldwell
Paul, I noticed the same thing when I added some film profiles from VSCO.
Easy to change if you know about it.
I've been a Beta tester for Luminar and when the consumer version releases on the 16th I hope it will replace Adobe in my workflow. It's inexpensive and just for one example the shadows/highlights sliders are so much better that that one improvement is worth the price for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.