The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darin Marcus

At the 2017 Maryland Renaissance Festival:

Nikon D810, AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G, 1/160, f/2.8, ISO 200

Can't wait to go back this year!

DougDolde

How are print sales Doug? This seems very marketable. It’d also a great style for advertising especially in weed friendly states.
Hi Frank,

I've only been doing these stylized images for about a year with a somewhat thin link to reality but so far they sell better than the straight images. 18x24 canvas wraps are my standard offering and sell in the 250 range. Thats not much if there is a commission but they are very cheap to make. Gallery shoppers are very price sensitive for the most part

Darin Marcus

Another one from the archives.
Taken on a late August afternoon in 2016, in the Stone House, Manassas National Battlefield Park, Virginia:

Nikon D810, AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G, 1/1000, f/2, ISO 64

Darin Marcus

I tend to shy away from street photography/portraiture.
But I do enjoy photographing people in costumes at historic fairs or festivals.

The 2018 Renaissance Festival of Maryland opened yesterday. I spent a number of hours walking around and taking photos. The performers are very accommodating to photography - when they notice you trying to take a photo they often stop and look towards your camera until you get your frame. Sometimes they even strike a pose according to their characters. Some of the visitors dressed in costumes are also accommodating. But there are also plenty of opportunities for candid photography.

I had my D810 set to AF-C/S/3d, with a focus point on the right side preselected for the face area in portrait mode, and used the AF-ON button to focus and recompose throughout the session. It was incredible seeing the focus selection moving around the frame following the face, staying put when the face turned completely away from the camera, and then reaquiring the face when it turned back.

Here is one of the photos, fresh off the card:

Nikon D810, AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G, 1/2000, f/2.8, ISO 400

Frankly

The 2018 Renaissance Festival of Maryland opened yesterday.
What's amazing about these types of festivals is that they can successfully recreate the smell of people who went months between baths.

Here's my last $1600 spent on taking down some threatening Walnut trees. Anyone want some nice wood?

Attachments

Darin Marcus

Every Spring, George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate organizes a "Revolutionary War Weekend".
Hundreds of people come together to re-enact not only battles, but also the way of life at that time. They camp for 3 days and 2 nights on the estate in period tents, wear period clothes at all times, cook food using period recipes, and so on.
This photo, taken in 2015, shows a type of bread made during George Washington's time. I believe they even use flour produced by a reconstruction of George Washington's Gristmill. The bread is available for sale to re-enacters as well as to visitors.

Nikon D810, AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G, 1/500, f/5.6, ISO 200

DougDolde

In Joshua Tree National Park. Can you see the dancer? This is a single exposure and converted with both Highlight and Shadow sliders maxed out. Further processing in Topaz software

Nikon D850, 28mm f1.8 G lens. Handheld and I am loving losing the tripod

COLOR-105A.jpg

Last edited:

dwood

'discovery' - D850 / Zeiss Milvus 25

If you look closely, you'll see a young boy, I'd guess around 10, standing on a rock in the water. He'd occasionally lower himself so he could run his hands through the sea and explored every angle of view from that rock. He also kept his parents, who were safely on shore, up to date every time he saw something interesting. He was having the time of his life and it was fun to watch. I'd like to think that I (all of us) retain a bit of that sense of wonder...especially when making pictures. This is in Acadia National Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.