The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arne Hvaring

Anything special with the last picture rocks?
Hi Vivek. The stones are placed in a "dolmen" shape like a number of similar neolithic structures found mainly in western Europe and on the British Iles. The stones in question are not listed anywhere so I think their placement are of recent origin, probably put up for decorative purposes.

Fredrick

This will probably be the first image I print, when the printer arrives sometime this week. Shot this way back in 2012 on the D800E and the Zeiss 21. While the Zeiss had "good" sharpness, it has horrible colourfringing in high contrast edges. Nonetheless the image is good, in my opinion. My compositions have improved since then, I should like to hope at least. Comments and criticism is always welcome.

Kabelvågmarka, Kaleidiscope by Fredrick D. Fjeldsbø, on Flickr

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
While the Zeiss had "good" sharpness, it has horrible colourfringing in high contrast edges.
Three comments: First is lovely capture, congrats! Second is CaptureOne has an excellent "automatic" de-fringing tool -- it will solve that adequately for print. Third is I would dial back saturation just a tad --like 8 to 12 points-- before you print it as it looks a little over-pumped on my monitor ;)

Again, very nice image, congrats!

Fredrick

Three comments: First is lovely capture, congrats! Second is CaptureOne has an excellent "automatic" de-fringing tool -- it will solve that adequately for print. Third is I would dial back saturation just a tad --like 8 to 12 points-- before you print it as it looks a little over-pumped on my monitor ;)

Again, very nice image, congrats!
Thank you Jack! I have actually started migrating to C1. You are right, it is a tad too saturated. It always helps stepping away from the screen and coming back.

I’m very excited to start printing! I’ll have to make a webpage, where I can sell my prints!

tcdeveau

Blood moon from 01/20/19, Taken with a Nikon D810A, in DX crop mode, 200-400 lens. ISO 2500 as I remember.

I know it's been posted a lot before, but for me it's taken a few years and attempts to get the clarity I finally got on this shoot. Followed it all the way through this time.

Paul C

[/url]01_20_19 cc Blood moon over Arkansas 1 by paul caldwell, on Flickr[/IMG]
Nice Paul! I just picked up a D810A, which arrived the day before the eclipse, but forgot about the eclipse and to arrange for a longer lens than a 50mm 🙁

DougDolde

Blood moon from 01/20/19, Taken with a Nikon D810A, in DX crop mode, 200-400 lens. ISO 2500 as I remember.

I know it's been posted a lot before, but for me it's taken a few years and attempts to get the clarity I finally got on this shoot. Followed it all the way through this time.

Paul C

[/url]01_20_19 cc Blood moon over Arkansas 1 by paul caldwell, on Flickr[/IMG]

What is the ideal focal length for moon shots?

Paul2660

Hi Doug,

For focal length, I guess it's anyone's guess. I prefer to use the 200-400 as I can get to F4 at 400mm, I have used the 200-500 at 500 5.6, but for the blood moon I prefer to have the added stop of light. When the Blood Moon Eclipse is full there is very little light on the moon, and the faster the lens the better. Many photographers have complained about the details of the 200-400 at 400mm, both wide open and stopped down, I have no complaints on mine. The added stars that showed up in the image attest to that.

The biggest problem for me has always been getting a balance of ISO/shutter speed/aperture. I believe this shot was at 2500, on the D810A, which is about 1.5 stops faster than the D810. Even so, I still had noise to contend with, more than I expected from the D810A, but I had live view on a lot and odds are the sensor heated up.

I ended up turning off VR, as the shots were just better with the D810A on Electronic First Curtain, Mirror up, and no VR, with a remote release.

I used DX crop mode (here I missed the D850 but I have not been that impressed with the D850 over ISO1000), but I did miss the tilting screen of the D850 as I was almost straight up that night.

The final shot, I used Capture One (always cleaner to me that LR/ACR) then ran the file though Topaz AI clean for noise, then Topaz Gigapixel to double the size. Both tools are excellent.

I guess the best solution would always be a telescope and tracking setup even for the moon as you could keep the shutter open longer.

Paul C

Status
Not open for further replies.