The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorkil

Nikon Z7 with 24-70/4S at iso64 1/160 f10 24mm through C1pro12.0.3win
San Zeno di Montagna

thorkil

Last edited:

Fredrick

Frederick, that's a wonderful picture. I bet it will print nicely especially if you can get some good cloud detail. Also, using a telephoto for landscape is a favorite technique of mine and is not used very often. I really like the perspective.

Thanks for sharing,

Joel
Thank you Joel. The print turned out quite nice.

Here's another one from last year. D850, Sigma Art 35.

Hemsedal, Winter. by Fredrick D. Fjeldsbø, on Flickr

dave.gt

Fredrick,

Hope you can get back to the mountains soon!:)

I know the allure all too well and we are heading to the mountains ourselves, at least, that is the plan.:thumbup:

Dave

dave.gt

In the meantime, glorious rain has blessed us with its presence the past few days. Now the plants, grass and flowers have a content lushness about themselves that we have not seen in months.

D850 50/1.8 G: (WB=Daylight)
Blue Hydrangea June 9 FINAL D850.jpg

D3100 50/1.8 G: (WB=Auto)
Blue Hydrangea June 9 FINAL D3100.jpg

Last edited:

Bugleone

Fascinating, and amazing, difference in how the d850 and digital back have rendered the subject;......the DB is obviously vastly better at the upper tones and, one suspects, colour reality. The d850 looks like it has artificially made acutance by comparison.

..........a graphic illustration of why universities and art galleries use DB's for reproducing important art works.

pegelli

Fascinating, and amazing, difference in how the d850 and digital back have rendered the subject;......the DB is obviously vastly better at the upper tones and, one suspects, colour reality. The d850 looks like it has artificially made acutance by comparison.

..........a graphic illustration of why universities and art galleries use DB's for reproducing important art works.
I agree both photo's are very different, but I wonder if we're really looking at the differences between the sensors or at the difference in PP (or in-camera processing).

My guess would be that if we would start with an unaltered raw file from both cameras we can make them both look much more similar with a modest effort on both (certainly at the small size for web presentation)

dave.gt

I agree both photo's are very different, but I wonder if we're really looking at the differences between the sensors or at the difference in PP (or in-camera processing).

My guess would be that if we would start with an unaltered raw file from both cameras we can make them both look much more similar with a modest effort on both (certainly at the small size for web presentation)
Both, actually... I don't really like these images, and the red hydrangea I shot as well, was very different than the blue one here. The colors and textures were a challenge and I did not succeed. The only reason for posting these was the "Fun" part of the thread title, learning a little more. Btw, the raw files showed the differences right away.

Color is quite different between the two, but primarily that is because the WB was set differently. I actually prefer the D3100 color. It is closer to the rendering of the H5D-50c that I shot as well.

In comparison to the H5D, the D850 frustrates me... at times, files are too "sharp", as in shooting 8th grade formals portraits; elderly portraits; and even tulips. After months of various subjects including covered bridges and waterfalls, I still struggle with getting it right.

By comparison, so far, in my limited use of various cameras lately, I prefer the rendering differences, colors and file malleability of the 50c and the Leica S.

These images were a Sunday afternoon leisure test, completely non-scientific, because I was curious to see how a spontaneous image would look if I saw a subject, grabbed the camera and went outside to shoot it. In this case, it wasn't street shooting but "yard-shooting"... LOL... if I can tone the D850 down a bit, it will probably be a very good choice even if the renderings are quite different than what I am used to getting with the other cameras.

We shall see.:):):)

Last edited:

dave.gt

Early Sunday mornings after a rain, I am always curious about the way the early morning sun transforms our garden into a contrasty and delightful environment. So, I was playing with the old D3100 and wondering how to use the 50 1.8 G lens on it and decided to shoot a colorful garden flag. Handheld, and very quickly. Then, around 20 minutes later, I thought it would be interesting to shoot it with the same lens on the D850. The light had already changed by then, but, what else did I have to do while everyone else was sleeping late?:)

D3100 (Auto WB):
D3100.jpg

D850 (Daylight WB):
D850 crop.jpg

So, what was my take away with this rough comparison between two vastly different generations of Nikon cameras? Only this: with my limited time and energy, I cannot do a scientific review, so this quick comparison spurred me to shoot some hydrangeas later in the day as posted above with the same cameras using the same lens. I was again impressed with Nikon 50 1.8 G lens.

It was fun, and it did change my mind about using the little D3100 for snaps. It is now in my backpack and I will look for a decent DX lens for it soon.

Other than that, it is time to get back to work. I hope all of you have a great work week ahead!:)

Bugleone

I got my first post wrong in that I mistook d3100(aps-c?) with a digital back (3100)....in view of that the aps-c has done brilliantly on the flower pic, in my view, as tonal range is(apparently) much superior.

My wife recently aquired a new nikon d3300 for a very good price as it was 'old stock' due to the d3400 & now d3500. These are nikon's cheapest and most important models....the d3300 is arguably the best entry dslr that nikon has ever mad as the later two have been purposely crippled by nikon presumably to enhance the range further up.

The d3300 came with 18-55 AF-P lens which is quite staggering in both optical quality and speed of focus(silent) You can see this lens on ebay for not very many pennies in unused condition where buyers of the kit don't need it.

I have noticed that there is a AF-P wideangle zoom in 10-20 that is not expensive, light-weight and highly rated by reviewers.....

The d3300 kit is an amazingly high quality item for not very much money and makes super images ....it's the reeason that I'm here looking at the nikon pages every day!

dave.gt

I got my first post wrong in that I mistook d3100(aps-c?) with a digital back (3100)....in view of that the aps-c has done brilliantly on the flower pic, in my view, as tonal range is(apparently) much superior.

My wife recently aquired a new nikon d3300 for a very good price as it was 'old stock' due to the d3400 & now d3500. These are nikon's cheapest and most important models....the d3300 is arguably the best entry dslr that nikon has ever mad as the later two have been purposely crippled by nikon presumably to enhance the range further up.

The d3300 came with 18-55 AF-P lens which is quite staggering in both optical quality and speed of focus(silent) You can see this lens on ebay for not very many pennies in unused condition where buyers of the kit don't need it.

I have noticed that there is a AF-P wideangle zoom in 10-20 that is not expensive, light-weight and highly rated by reviewers.....

The d3300 kit is an amazingly high quality item for not very much money and makes super images ....it's the reeason that I'm here looking at the nikon pages every day!
Haha, thanks so much for answering my next post with an inquiry about a good lens for the D3100. I would enjoy the much better 3300 but that can wait.

The D3100 I have was given to me by a friend who dropped it in the water's edge while fishing in the river in Florida years ago. I dried it and cleaned it and it works perfectly except for the built-in flash. The 18-55 lens works but is very foggy even today. I tried everything to get inside and clean it but gave up. That zoom lens is on my list now!!!:)

I have found that the little D3100 gets lost in my bag even quicker than my Leica X1 because it is so light! That is why it is now in my backpack.:)

I would enjoy seeing images from the D3300 if you have time to do so. It all brings back fond memories of my old D40. I miss that camera.:thumbup:

Bugleone

I think the d3100 will handle the AF-P lenses but it might be prudent to check first as nikon has be playing fast and dirty with lens compatability lately........

I have been tempted to post some pix from d3300 but only have 'snaps' and it's a bit 'down market' for these elevated pages!

dave.gt

I think the d3100 will handle the AF-P lenses but it might be prudent to check first as nikon has be playing fast and dirty with lens compatability lately........

I have been tempted to post some pix from d3300 but only have 'snaps' and it's a bit 'down market' for these elevated pages!
Post away! This is Fun with Nikon Images...

Looking forward to seeing what you and your wife are having fun with...:)

I had a few minutes this morning and I have found some different settings in my D850 so I will be posting some trial "down market" images myself as I fine tune that camera.:thumbup:

The thing that has always impressed me whether it be the older images or the latest high tech digital images, is the photographer. I would rather see good images from a "lowly" spec camera in lieu of not so good images from the most expensive equipment. My FM2n reminds me of that everyday.

So let's have some fun!:)

Bugleone

.......Did all the right things as far as I could see.....signed in,..went to 'upload' page....'browse image'...found images in picture folder.......highlighted four images....filled in the rest of the fields on the upload page......pressed 'remit'......nothing....after 10 mins red banner saying upoad failed and go back to 'correct' probs and try again.

.....Trouble is I coul'nt find any probs to correct!

......Then I tried just one image (several times).....same result!.......hang on! tried again!

Gotone in the gallery but now how to put into a post.....?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.