The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanS

It is indeed a lovely image Pramote.
I should also like to say that as a hobbyist that rarely prints big, I am more and more coming to the conclusion that I should shoot with gear that is enjoyable to use and use lens that render how I like!

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
It is indeed a lovely image Pramote.
I should also like to say that as a hobbyist that rarely prints big, I am more and more coming to the conclusion that I should shoot with gear that is enjoyable to use and use lens that render how I like!
yes, certainly a wonderful picture Pramote.
We should all have stopped at 10 or 12 Mp!
best thorkil

________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Alan & Thorkil,

Thank you very much for your kind words! I really appreciate them.

I completely agree with you about chasing MP. Although I've had 150mp camera (guilty!), I don't feel it's necessary. The reasons I kept upgrading were not as simple as chasing MP. Other factors beyond MP such as great technical support, ability to use with tech cam, excellent upgrade path (so I don't need to sell them by myself) etc. were more important. I started to realize long ago my photography capability is far below my camera gears. I have to work harder.

As you said, as a non-professional photographer, any cameras in (and out of) the market now is more than enough to make nice prints.

The company I admire the most is Leica. Leica's never increased the MP (37.5 mp) for S2, S (006) and S (007). They improved the camera and lens line-up instead. I stopped using it and blamed Leica for a long time when I was in the MP game. Nowadays, it turns out to be one of my most beloved cameras to use. That's why Leica is Leica.

Enjoy the upcoming fall!

Best

Pramote

Last edited:

rayyan

Yes should have stopped chasing pixels n shiny
new things long time ago.

Put this down as lesson learned.
Or is it?

dave.gt

State Park in Quebec, Canada
Nikon D80 with manual Nikon 105mm Micro.

Re-edited of my favorite picture taken 12 years ago
I think it's a 10 mp camera and looked like a toy. However, the 17"x22" print is beautiful. I ask myself if I need 150 mp.

Pramote
https://pramotelaoprasert.zenfolio.com
Ah, Pramote, agreed!

That is why I am having so much fun with a new-to-me Nikon D2x, which replaced my old one sold long ago. If only I could afford some really nice lenses for it, it would be my daily carry as it was years ago.

But for now, I have found more uses for my trusty Leica X1 and it really produces excellent results, even with long exposures and ND filters. Interesting fact: Both are 12 mp.:):):)

The Leica X1 goes everywhere since it is so small and light. :thumbup:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Ah, Pramote, agreed!

That is why I am having so much fun with a new-to-me Nikon D2x, which replaced my old one sold long ago. If only I could afford some really nice lenses for it, it would be my daily carry as it was years ago.

But for now, I have found more uses for my trusty Leica X1 and it really produces excellent results, even with long exposures and ND filters. Interesting fact: Both are 12 mp.:):):)

The Leica X1 goes everywhere since it is so small and light. :thumbup:
Dave,

Can't agree more! Enjoy the D2X and X!

Pramote

Shashin

I think it's a 10 mp camera and looked like a toy. However, the 17"x22" print is beautiful. I ask myself if I need 150 mp.

Pramote
I was looking through the Fun with threads on GetDPI in the different sections one day and I was seeing all this great photography. The quality of the photography was not distinguished by the equipment, sensor size, pixel number, or a host of other technical criteria that are often cited as being important. It was quite liberating.

The real limit to my photography is not a technical one.

dave.gt

I was looking through the Fun with threads on GetDPI in the different sections one day and I was seeing all this great photography. The quality of the photography was not distinguished by the equipment, sensor size, pixel number, or a host of other technical criteria that are often cited as being important. It was quite liberating.

Totally agree...:thumbup:

In fact, it might be fun to see more images from our "vintage" cameras, not only older ones but recent work.:cool:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Bar Harbor, Maine
Nikon D800/Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8

When I look back, lots of my favorites were taken by older cameras. I guess I was more dedicated back then.

This picture was taken early in the morning after heavy rain. The place was all mine. I was in and out of the shelters all morning soaking with water. Finally, when the sun broke through the clouds, my hard work paid off.

Not long after that, other photographers started to show up. Few of them told me I was lucky to capture the moment. I just smiled and politely told them I was just lucky. I was in the right place at the right time.

I feel very proud of myself every time I looked at this picture. More important, I have a story to tell my kids and their kids :)

This was the only trip my camera was dead on me few days after I took this picture. I found out later the D800 was not waterproof. It's recovered though after I put it in the bag full of rice!

Pramote
https://pramotelaoprasert.zenfolio.com/

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

The best camera is the one I can buy second hand for a low price at my local camera shop. There are so many bargains now, many of them hardly used.

Status
Not open for further replies.