The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkenspyder

I have never owned a D700, but have used one. I agree it is/was a fine camera. But I would never want to voluntarily stop at 10/12mpx. There are many reasons to appreciate more modern sensors and quality higher megapixels, without getting sucked into the mpx arms race.

drunkenspyder

Goliath heron takes flight out of the reeds of the Chobe River, Botswana.

_DSC4391-FrameShop.jpg

Z7 | 80-400 @ 270mm | f/7.6 | 1/1600 | ISO 320

Last edited:

Thorkil

That crane is just very nice and very present! :thumbup: And the baboon and leopard is very special too..!!
For my part I must admit, that I certainly don't regret the Z7, its reliable and easygoing as my D3 was, its handy to carry and therefore the first-choice compared to the Df. It is more bright and the lenses too, and its hard to get it Df-look-alike in post,
but still very satisfied, in the nice calm way... (and its so easy to crop without any losses)
thorkil

drunkenspyder

That crane is just very nice and very present! :thumbup: And the baboon and leopard is very special too..!!
For my part I must admit, that I certainly don't regret the Z7, its reliable and easygoing as my D3 was, its handy to carry and therefore the first-choice compared to the Df. It is more bright and the lenses too, and its hard to get it Df-look-alike in post,
but still very satisfied, in the nice calm way... (and its so easy to crop without any losses)
thorkil
Thanks. Yes, no regrets on the Z7. I did occasionally wish for 3d tracking from my D850, but not enough to regret switching. I find the Z7 a real pleasure to use.

dave.gt

Ha! Lately, I have been working back through some older gear and my favorite of all time showed up in my bag.

Been trying to sort out a daily carry and the D2x fits fine with me as it did a decade ago when I was shooting sports and weddings. It has been fun getting back to the D2x. The hummers around here are swarming, so I am getting a good workout on technique! They sure are fast!:)

Nikon D2x 50/1.8 G (Handheld)

The past few days have convinced me that I desperately need my old 70-200/2.8 back, as it was a fantastic combination for me.:thumbup:

drunkenspyder

Ha! Lately, I have been working back through some older gear and my favorite of all time showed up in my bag.

Been trying to sort out a daily carry and the D2x fits fine with me as it did a decade ago when I was shooting sports and weddings. It has been fun getting back to the D2x. The hummers around here are swarming, so I am getting a good workout on technique! They sure are fast!:)

Nikon D2x 50/1.8 G (Handheld)

The past few days have convinced me that I desperately need my old 70-200/2.8 back, as it was a fantastic combination for me.:thumbup:
Delightful Dave! I love shooting hummingbirds. And the lighting in this one is especially nice. I enjoy my 300/2.8 best for this. And I often pair it with 1-3 flashes at high speed sync.

drunkenspyder

Superb, Greg!:)

The story behind photographs is always interesting. It would be nice to hear yours and how you were able to get so close!:thumbup:
Thanks Dave. These are majestic birds, and they are flipping huge! Most of the wildlife on the Chobe are accustomed to the safari boats on the river. And the boat captains are very skilled at approaching gently and quietly. Getting close is just a matter of patience and learning to watch for clues as to the bird’s or animal’s intentions. The herons, cranes, and large raptors like fish and tawny eagles are a bit easier to read, as their size requires more muscle preparation before taking flight. The smaller birds can dart in one twitch. Baboons, monkeys, elephants, buffalo, and even impala were largely unfazed by us. Even crocs. At one point, I could have easily leaned over and touched the snout of a croc that was clearly over 12 feet long. But the hippos. The hippos get pissed off very easily, especially if your captain approaches with a sweeping high speed motion that sends a wave across its snout. 😉

We had the luxury of being in well-balanced, flat bottom, shallow draft boats that could glide through the reeds. One time, we even bumped into a stump on which a lilac-breasted roller was perched, and it did not even move as our boat scraped past it with each of us within two feet of the bird. Each of seven seats in the boat was fitted with a custom 360 rotatable, height adjustable seat with a full Wimberley gimbal and Arca bracket that could be adjusted forward and backward, up and down. It was a superb photographic arrangement. These guys were pros. They also rented Nikon lenses like the 600 and 500 f/4 for—get this—$15 per day. I rented the 600 one day but it actually got me too close to much of the wildlife most of the time! It was easier and more flexible to use my 80-400+1.4TC.
IMG_4876.jpegIMG_4877.jpegfile-C73FC89F-162D-407A-82A4-F7750552BFA5-2509-0000014E4E040B08.jpegIMG_4875.jpeg

Last edited:

dave.gt

It has been fun using the Nikon D2x, it reminds me of a long wonderful experience with my first one. Lately, I have been re-organizing my files and when I came across this, I also felt the original sheer joy of using the first generations of Nikon single-digit D bodies.

Nikon D2H/28-105mm:

Last edited:

dave.gt

And recently, I made a quick snapshot capture of the cameras in my Hadley Pro bag as I was cleaning and re-organizing everything:

Nikon D2x/50mm 1.8 G:

Last edited:

darr

It has been fun using the Nikon D2x, it reminds me of a long wonderful experience with my first one. Lately, I have been re-organizing my files and when I came across this, I also felt the original sheer joy of using the first generations of Nikon single-digit D bodies.

Nikon D2H/28-105mm:
Fort Pickens?

Photon42

Needed a motorbike again with which I can actually go through bends properly ...

Klauenpass, coming from Urnerboden

dave.gt

Fort Pickens?
Hi, Darr,:)

Ooops, making a correction here, it is Fort Pulaski. I haven't been back there in a very long time and if the weather will ever cool down in these parts, I am looking forward to another visit.

There are so many interesting things to see and the light is delicious... as is Savannah, just begging for a morning stroll.:thumbup: The natural light here was surprisingly beautiful even at mid-day.

:)

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Nikon D2H/28-105mm:
Why would anyone need another camera when you see these results ......

Status
Not open for further replies.