The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterA

Yes :), I have done it a lot of times..but life is often a sort epochs in a row, and somehow one often forget to jump around through previously behaviors and epochs. Don't know what it is, different moods in different times..I guess :rolleyes:
But I will get back to it, while it also feels liberating and often lead to a smiling "confrontation" with people..which can sort of jump into the heart..but sometime one has to be in the mood ("I don't give a damn"-like in the "positive-spreading" way), to go for it..
I like to shoot 'loose as a goose' - always.:thumbup: what is the worst thing that can happen anyway?

pegelli

I am being a bit sentimental and perhaps a little selfish since I am a Nikon fangirl. Forgive me. :eek:
You're forgiven for sure, and thanks for the link.

Yes, all camera businesses are hurting as the market is shrinking. With modern phones there's not a lot of people who want/need an advanced camera that we all like so much. I've always wanted to like Nikon but somehow their bodies never felt right in my hand. However I want all the brands to survive. We need choices for serious photographers as well as competition to keep improving, but I'm worried that the total market isn't big enough for all. Maybe I'm too pessimistic, we'lll see. So far most of them seem to survive.

The problem for Nikon is that they were late to the FF and APS-C mirrorless game so the competition was already firmly established and the pool is shrinking. While the Z-series is obviously a very capable camera it didn't offer anything the competition didn't have and the lens line still needs to be fully developed which costs R&D money. So it's been an uphill battle for them that shows in their financial results. But like you I really hope they will survive, allthough my reasons are probably less sentimental than yours ;)

Last edited:

pegelli

Let's get this thread back on topic, there's bigger problems than Nikon's business issues and I'm very hopeful they will survive (together with the others).

I've only had one Nikon and used it multiple years, so here's an old picture (Februari 2002) I took in the Austrian mountains, that was a real fun week to spend skiing and walking with the whole family :)

Nikon Coolpix 990

Btw, just for fun I sometimes still use this Nikon Coolpix, images aren't bad for an 18 year old camera

B L

Let's get this thread back on topic, there's bigger problems than Nikon's business issues and I'm very hopeful they will survive (together with the others).

I've only had one Nikon and used it multiple years, so here's an old picture (Februari 2002) I took in the Austrian mountains, that was a real fun week to spend skiing and walking with the whole family :)

Nikon Coolpix 990

Btw, just for fun I sometimes still use this Nikon Coolpix, images aren't bad for an 18 year old camera

I wouldnt have known if you hadnt mentioned Coolpix. Theresults like this can rival many modern cameras. I think I used to have a Coolpix 900 as a set with wide screw on lens.
Thanks for sharing.

pegelli

Yup, 3.3 MP, pretty low by today's standards. But well enough for web presentation. And with the rotation between the part that holds the lens and the part that holds the LCD it's also very usable for selfies :grin:

pegelli

I wouldnt have known if you hadnt mentioned Coolpix. Theresults like this can rival many modern cameras. I think I used to have a Coolpix 900 as a set with wide screw on lens.
Thanks for sharing.
That's true, but as soon as you start cropping a little and/or there are smaller details the lack of MP's starts showing up.
See here, it's a photo from 2004 that I like, but doubling or quadrupling the pixels of the original capture would have helped a lot, even at screen presentation size. But for me that doesn't detract from the fun of using such an early digital camera.

Nikon Coolpix 990

B L

That's true, but as soon as you start cropping a little and/or there are smaller details the lack of MP's starts showing up.
See here, it's a photo from 2004 that I like, but doubling or quadrupling the pixels of the original capture would have helped a lot, even at screen presentation size. But for me that doesn't detract from the fun of using such an early digital camera.

Thanks for showing another from a modern vintage.Yes.You are right,those cameras are not for cropping.
But,I recall reading in "Amateur Photographer" (UK) weekly magazine where they reported on their news pages many years ago a new software called VFZoom- I think the proper name was Vector Format for Zooming --zooming upto 1200% without any loss in quality.
Regards.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sometimes when I look at what I achieved with the D80, I should ask myself why I didn't simply buy more D80 bodies. They are cheap nowadays at just over $100.

Photo is from September 2009, but the D80 was announced in 2006. The lens is much older.

D80 with Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF @ f/5

B L

Sometimes when I look at what I achieved with the D80, I should ask myself why I didn't simply buy more D80 bodies. They are cheap nowadays at just over $100.

Photo is from September 2009, but the D80 was announced in 2006. The lens is much older.

D80 with Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF @ f/5
Brilliant. Those reds and whites!

Status
Not open for further replies.