The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darin Marcus

I am amazed at how well the "consumer grade" Nikon 70-300 FF lenses render. Great image! :thumbs:
Hello Jack,

Thank you for your comment.

This was not the AF-P FF zoom - it is actually the Nikon 1 (CX) 70-300mm zoom, a stellar lens. Too bad Nikon did not continue with that system...

The AF-P FF zoom is indeed a great lens. During the next few weeks I will post more photos here with my AF-P FF copy on the D810, the Z6 and the Z50, while I am waiting for the 70-200mm f/2.8 S :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hello Jack,

Thank you for your comment.

This was not the AF-P FF zoom - it is actually the Nikon 1 (CX) 70-300mm zoom, a stellar lens. Too bad Nikon did not continue with that system...

The AF-P FF zoom is indeed a great lens. During the next few weeks I will post more photos here with my AF-P FF copy on the D810, the Z6 and the Z50, while I am waiting for the 70-200mm f/2.8 S :D
I actually understood that ;) The optical designs obviously differ, though both perform admirably. (I am not certain how the CX compares to the newer AF-P DX version though -- they may be more similar than different, at least from all accounts it's excellent too.) I have the 70-300 AF-P FF version and am using it on my Z7 and it absolutely blows me away that a $600 4.3:1 tele-zoom can perform so well -- the MTF's are essentially identical to both current 70-200 AF-VR lenses, and I can bear that out based on my own experience with all of them! (FWIW, it also makes a very credible macro with the addition of a 1.8x, 2-element diopter -- an extra $100 filter to give me a very handy 2-fer in the bag :LOL: ) I too am curious as to what the new 70-200 ZS lens will show, but it's going to have to be pretty spectacular to get me to take on the extra weight and loss of 100mm of zoom, let alone the 4x expense for gaining the 2.8 aperture!

Darin Marcus

I actually understood that ;) The optical designs obviously differ, though both perform admirably. (I am not certain how the CX compares to the newer AF-P DX version though -- they may be more similar than different, at least from all accounts it's excellent too.) I have the 70-300 AF-P FF version and am using it on my Z7 and it absolutely blows me away that a $600 4.3:1 tele-zoom can perform so well -- the MTF's are essentially identical to both current 70-200 AF-VR lenses, and I can bear that out based on my own experience with all of them! (FWIW, it also makes a very credible macro with the addition of a 1.8x, 2-element diopter -- an extra $100 filter to give me a very handy 2-fer in the bag :LOL: ) I too am curious as to what the new 70-200 ZS lens will show, but it's going to have to be pretty spectacular to get me to take on the extra weight and loss of 100mm of zoom, let alone the 4x expense for gaining the 2.8 aperture!
Oh, OK, I got it now :)

The CX and DX zooms do have a different optical design. I could not find the specs for the CX mount, but I guess the flange distance is smaller than for the F mount (not sure how it compares to the Z mount though).
Nevertheless, the modern designs for the consumer F 70-300mm zooms are indeed better than expected.

I too expected a smaller 70-200mm f/2.8 ZS lens (the original rumors were that it will be similar to the 24-70mm f/2.8 F zoom in size and weight, and it actually ended up larger and heavier that the 70-200mm f/2.8 F zoom, by a little).
Since I've never had any f/2.8 zooms until the 24-70mm ZS, I also pre-ordered the 70-200mm ZS. Will see... I also got the much maligned Z6/7 battery pack a week ago for better balancing, if needed - although I just watched Ricci Talk's first impressions on YouTube and it appears that due to the new design it is less front heavy than the F mount version, and it actually balances well on the Z6/Z7 even without the battery pack.

Darin Marcus

The AF-P 70-300mm E is so light I had no problem photowalking with it mounted on the Z50 via the FTZ adapter:

Nikon Z50, AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E VR @ 300mm (450mm equiv.), 1/60sec, f/5.6, ISO 100, VR On, Nikon Adobe RGB

Darin Marcus

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 70mm, 1/640, f/5.6, ISO 100, Nikon Adobe RGB

Last week I got on board the CF Express :D

I decided to play it safe, so I bought a Nikon-approved Sony 128 GB card and the Sony card reader. The reader is backwards compatible with XQD, which I tested using my one and only XQD card, also a Sony :)
No problems using the CFexpress card in the Z6, as tested during Saturday's photowalk in the Manassas National Battlefield Park - the photo above was one of the first saved on the new card.

I did not find any difference in performance between the XQD card and the CFexpress one during that session - maybe it helps when shooting action or movies. The download to the computer was indeed faster.

rayyan

Thanks a lot folks for the ' likes ' :D

Lens roadmaps are for the future..., this is the present; for me ;)

Z6, 24-70/4S

rayyan

A mode of travel.

Z6, 24-70/4S

But nothing to compare with the go anywhere, all weather, all terrain master transport..the camel!!

Status
Not open for further replies.