The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanS

Re-processed an old file in darktable,
(taken with one of my favourite lens, it's now got me thinking!) Trearddur bay...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S, 1/50, f/1.8, ISO 100, VR On, Nikon Adobe RGB
Nice image!

I just want to make sure you understand the difference between capturing in Adobe RGB and posting in it -- so ignore this if it's moot for you ;)

Capturing (and editing) in a larger colorspace is generally beneficial as you have more data to push around as you edit. However posting in one is not always a good thing... Older computers and/or browsers and/or hosting domains may not accommodate a colorspace other than web standard sRGB, and so the colors of an image in any larger space get distorted as the browser "trims" all colors outside the sRGB space for viewing. This can lead to an image looking flatter and less saturated than it does when you're viewing it on your own color-managed system. So generally speaking, it's still best practice to convert an image to sRGB before posting it.

Darin Marcus

Nice image!

I just want to make sure you understand the difference between capturing in Adobe RGB and posting in it -- so ignore this if it's moot for you ;)

Capturing (and editing) in a larger colorspace is generally beneficial as you have more data to push around as you edit. However posting in one is not always a good thing... Older computers and/or browsers and/or hosting domains may not accommodate a colorspace other than web standard sRGB, and so the colors of an image in any larger space get distorted as the browser "trims" all colors outside the sRGB space for viewing. This can lead to an image looking flatter and less saturated than it does when you're viewing it on your own color-managed system. So generally speaking, it's still best practice to convert an image to sRGB before posting it.
Thank you Jack.

Until recently I posted only sRGB photos. I am doing some experiments using Nikon’s version of Adobe RGB and checking the results on different systems (older Mac Book Pro, newer Mac Book Pro with DCI screen, last gen iMac, Mac Mini with LG screen, iPad Pro and Windows 10 PC with office display). I also tested DCI P3 photos a while ago, and HEIF/HEIC photos more recently, although the last ones not online because browsers do not yet support the format.

I will return to sRGB very soon for online photos.

rayyan

Thank you so much folks, for the ' likes ' and your comments. Really appreciate your encouragement :salute:

Chilling out..

Z6, 24-70/4S.

Technicolor of old?

rayyan

Thanks Jorgen :D

For those of you that can recall...
A few days ago, I was listening to a song by the group ' The Doors '; ' Light my fire ". Spurred me into a ' nothing special ' action.

The result...

Z6, 24-70/4S

p.s suddenly reminded myself to listen to Stevie Wonder.

Thorkil

..just some careless Stockholm-mood from last week...

Nikon Z7 with 14-30S at iso 125 1/25 f5.6 at 23mm through C1 20.0.2

Nikon Z7 with 14-30S at iso 360 1/25 f5.6 at 30mm through C1 20.0.2

Nikon Z7 with 14-30S at iso 320 1/25 f5.6 at 14mm through C1 20.0.2

Nikon Z7 with 14-30S at iso 160 1/25 f5.6 at 14mm through C1 20.0.2

Nikon Z7 with 14-30S at iso 720 1/25 f5.6 at 15mm through C1 20.0.2

thorkil

Thorkil

this afternoon, with the new Z7-firmware 3.0 AF is quick, and certainly improved, but still got some backfocus issues I have to sort out (why it was spot on at the start of its life, I can't figure out, and backfocusing now I don't get)

Nikon Z7 with FTZ and 70-200/4G ED at 200mm iso 640 1/250 f4 46%crop through C120.0.2pro

thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
this afternoon, with the new Z7-firmware 3.0 AF is quick, and certainly improved, but still got some backfocus issues I have to sort out (why it was spot on at the start of its life, I can't figure out, and backfocusing now I don't get)

Nikon Z7 with FTZ and 70-200/4G ED at 200mm iso 640 1/250 f4 46%crop through C120.0.2pro

thorkil
You should try the new animal eye focus for these -- I think you'll be VERY happy (hint hint)!

Thorkil

You should try the new animal eye focus for these -- I think you'll be VERY happy (hint hint)!
thank you Jack :), yes off course, forgot to think about it, that I have to try out! and if only I could find my focus pyramide too, and get it on "deer distance"...perhaps I should start with the +10 John Brew recommended

Thorkil

thank you Jack :), yes off course, forgot to think about it, that I have to try out! and if only I could find my focus pyramide too, and get it on "deer distance"...perhaps I should start with the +10 John Brew recommended
Ps. but its only for cats and dogs...:shocked:..:ROTFL:

Thorkil

PPS the focus pyramid ain't that good, perhaps better place some 10 matchboxes with an inch between, but nevertheless I've come to a result adjusting the 70-200/4G til -5, for the time being..

Status
Not open for further replies.