The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arne Hvaring

We made an excursion to the Cotswolds. Unfortunately the sky was grey and it rained a bit. I managed to push the button a few times.
Here are some impressions.

Arne Hvaring

Thank you Jack!
Mostly I use C1 (for all the images in the preceding posts), but I also like Photo Ninja. I prefer the raw conversion as such of PN to C1, but C1 has so many additional useful tools and excellent colours.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Jack!
Mostly I use C1 (for all the images in the preceding posts), but I also like Photo Ninja. I prefer the raw conversion as such of PN to C1, but C1 has so many additional useful tools and excellent colours.
I actually asked because I was impressed by the colors :) (I find the same thing with C1's base profiles.)

BUT, C1 is expensive, and ACR as part of PS/LR subscription bundle is certainly acceptable. Plus NX-D is quite good once you wrap your arms around the UI. I still like C1's power and control over the entire raw image through output, but am beginning to wonder if it's worth the added subscription cost over the others...

PS: I myself also continue to be amazed at what the little 24-70 kit lens produces -- :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the lens is a small jewel, perfect for travelling. I hope Nikon will make a 70-200 f4 of the same caliber.
I am leaning toward the 70-200/2.8 when it becomes available, assuming it is as stellar wide open as the 24-70/2.8 is. For travel, I have the 70-300/4-5.6 AF-P VR lens -- it is very lightweight, of course has VR and is surprisingly good optically from 70-200. It deteriorates to 'softish' at 300, but remains somewhat usable. I was playing with AF tracking yesterday with it just for fun, horrible light too, but here's a shot to show what it does at 300mm handheld at f6.3. A female ruby-throated hummingbird drinking from my fountain, this is just the in-cam jpeg and sooc:

Full sooc jpeg resized for web:

Actual pixel crop from above in-cam jpeg:

>>>Update Edit. I quickly reworked the nef in C1, and have to admit even I am surprised at how much more was in the file to be had. Here is the same crop as above, but from the C1 nef -- I'll let you draw your own conclusions about color and detail improvements, but do call your attention to what are now recognizable as pollen remnants on her beak from her flower foraging ;). Not too shabby coming from a relatively inexpensive zoom! :

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Quarantine photography 101. A local gate in the older part of town. Z7, 14-30 at 24, 1/30 @ f6.3, processed in C1 and PS:

Arne Hvaring

Like you I finsh my images in PS before posting and/or printing. C1 can't really do everything, besides many steps are easier/more familiar in PS than in C1.
As for the posted image, I feel it would be stronger if you crop a bit off the bottom. Just my opinion of course.

Arne Hvaring

I am leaning toward the 70-200/2.8 when it becomes available, assuming it is as stellar wide open as the 24-70/2.8 is. For travel, I have the 70-300/4-5.6 AF-P VR lens -- it is very lightweight, of course has VR and is surprisingly good optically from 70-200. It deteriorates to 'softish' at 300, but remains somewhat usable. I was playing with AF tracking yesterday with it just for fun, horrible light too, but here's a shot to show what it does at 300mm handheld at f6.3. A female ruby-throated hummingbird drinking from my fountain, this is just the in-cam jpeg and sooc:

Full sooc jpeg resized for web:

Actual pixel crop from above in-cam jpeg:

>>>Update Edit. I quickly reworked the nef in C1, and have to admit even I am surprised at how much more was in the file to be had. Here is the same crop as above, but from the C1 nef -- I'll let you draw your own conclusions about color and detail improvements, but do call your attention to what are now recognizable as pollen remnants on her beak from her flower foraging ;). Not too shabby coming from a relatively inexpensive zoom! :

Thank you for the update on the 70-300mm lens. I have missed some shots with the 70 mm limit. Comparing C1 to an ooc Jpeg does not say a lot. How does conversion with C1 compare to ACR or similar?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
How does conversion with C1 compare to ACR or similar?
I have not used ACR in a very long time, so cannot answer definitively. I've become very used to (and like!) C1's UI and capabilities for storing and converting files. I tried NX-D out, and with some work, got to a very comparable result as C1. But being more facile with C1, it was of course easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.