The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBrew

I carefully ventured out the other day to the "Swamp" at Magnolia Gardens. Z7. 105 2.5 Ai.
1) Buttonbush
2) All loaded and ready to launch
3) Don't know the name of this one the leaves are strikingly similar to the "herb superb".

Attachments

dave.gt

I carefully ventured out the other day to the "Swamp" at Magnolia Gardens. Z7. 105 2.5 Ai.
1) Buttonbush
2) All loaded and ready to launch
3) Don't know the name of this one the leaves are strikingly similar to the "herb superb".
John,

That visit to the Swamp must have been fun. :thumbup:The last image has a special... "Je ne sais quoi". Almost like a painting. Caught my eye whilst browsing. Thanks for posting.:)

rayyan

pegelli, foveon, Jack...thanks a lot folks. Much appreciated.

Postcard from Buda and Pest...

D700, ZF 50/1.4 Planar
Archives.

KeithL

Last Supper. Nikon Z7, Micro-NIKKOR 55mm f/2.8 Ai-S with FTZ adapter.

About the series.

Much of my work celebrates light, colour and life. The series ‘Dark Times’ deviates towards the dark, the monochromatic and mortality. The work is being shot during the Covid-19 lockdown here in the UK.

Having stared death in the face on several occasions my aim is to explore my feelings and confront my fears around the inevitability of mortality and to further explore beauty in decay. Producing the series continues to be a surprisingly therapeutic process.

No lives are harmed in the making of these images.

Pablo Picasso: "And then I understood what painting really meant. It's not an aesthetic process; it's a form of magic that interposes itself between us and the hostile universe, a means of seizing power by imposing a form on our terrors as well as on our desires. The day I understood that, I had found my path"

jlancasterd

I took a Z6 with me during a walk up on the 'mountain' behind our village this afternoon, along an old drovers' road (or bridle path as it is designated nowadays) which starts at the top of a fairly steep road about half a mile from our house. This is sheep country with very rough grazing. The second photo was taken looking back more or less in the direction of our house, with the Irish Sea in the background. All four photos are from monochrome JPEGs using the settings suggested by Jack with some tweaking. Nikkor Z 24-70 F4 lens.

Drove Road A 10-7-20.jpg

Drove Road B 10-7-20.jpg

Sheep Country 10-7-20.jpg

Hill Farm 10-7-20.jpg

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John, nice series! Just a FWIW comment: one thing I’ve found with sepia or cyan toning, is for whatever reason they seem to appreciate a small bump in brightness.

jlancasterd

John, nice series! Just a FWIW comment: one thing I’ve found with sepia or cyan toning, is for whatever reason they seem to appreciate a small bump in brightness.
Thanks Jack – I did find it necessary to use the 'Punch' option in Lightroom, plus a slight increase in contrast, to get the effect I wanted in the first two images. I also had to apply some dehazing to bring up the sea in the second image.

I've since tried increasing 'Clarity' for images 3 and 4, and it does produce a significant difference.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jack – I did find it necessary to use the 'Punch' option in Lightroom, plus a slight increase in contrast, to get the effect I wanted in the first two images. I also had to apply some dehazing to bring up the sea in the second image.

I've since tried increasing 'Clarity' for images 3 and 4, and it does produce a significant difference.
Are you processing the raw file to this look, or using the as-shot mono jpeg? My comment was to bump the in-cam mono jpeg brightness by a point ;)

jlancasterd

Are you processing the raw file to this look, or using the as-shot mono jpeg? My comment was to bump the in-cam mono jpeg brightness by a point ;)
I'm currently processing the jpeg after it leaves the camera, but will also try bumping up the in-camera brightness as you suggest.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently processing the jpeg after it leaves the camera, but will also try bumping up the in-camera brightness as you suggest.
Just a FWIW: If you are going to process the jpeg after it leaves the camera, you might as well process the raw -- you will get a LOT more added detail AND a lot more DR* to work with. I use C1 and can save an entire set of user adjustments, so I have at hand a complete set of different color and B&W user settings I can apply for a dedicated look. I am sure LR allows similar. I still shoot in mono for the mono preview, and save the jpeg for reference, but process the raw to get back to the mono look I want.

*There is one nit with this, and that is the added DR -- most mono does not look right with it, and so you'll need to add a pretty hefty contrast curve, fairly significant clarity slide, and maybe even boost base contrast by 8 or 10 points to get the film look you're after.

Status
Not open for further replies.