The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlancasterd

Just a FWIW: If you are going to process the jpeg after it leaves the camera, you might as well process the raw -- you will get a LOT more added detail AND a lot more DR* to work with. I use C1 and can save an entire set of user adjustments, so I have at hand a complete set of different color and B&W user settings I can apply for a dedicated look. I am sure LR allows similar. I still shoot in mono for the mono preview, and save the jpeg for reference, but process the raw to get back to the mono look I want.

*There is one nit with this, and that is the added DR -- most mono does not look right with it, and so you'll need to add a pretty hefty contrast curve, fairly significant clarity slide, and maybe even boost base contrast by 8 or 10 points to get the film look you're after.
Thanks Jack – I'll carry on experimenting. In normal circumstances I'd be happily shooting Ffestiniog Railway activities in colour for the Magazine. However the Railway has been shut down since late March due to Covid-19, and will only reopen partially later this month. Even after it reopens I'm unlikely to be welcome in the workshops due to 'social distancing' rules. The landscape work is something I've taken up to keep my hand in, but I may also try some B+W line-side shots where the railway runs through woodland or open moorland.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The charger for my D300 suddenly appeared out of nowhere last night. So I plugged it into the wall and charged the battery. Today, a walk along the beach with the only F-mount lens I had available there and then. When I think of all the use and abuse this camera has seen, it's amazing that it still lives and produces more than acceptable results.

D300 with Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF @ f/4

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since I was taking the D300 for a walk last Sunday, I thought I'd have a look at some photos taken with the D2Xs back in the day. Here's one from 2014. What a great camera the D2Xs is. With this camera, the subtle grain at ISO 400 is a feature, not a defect. I don't think the battery I have for mine works, but I think I'll buy a new one.

D2Xs with 85mm f/1.8 AF @ f/2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
From 2013. Found the battery charger for this camera too today. Unfortunately, the 80-200 is destroyed by fungus.

D2Xs with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/2.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Fungus, oh no! :(

Lovely portraits, would love to see more!:thumbup:
Thanks. Not only is the lens dead, the camera wouldn't power on when I tried it today. I hope it's just the battery. We'll see. The D2Xs is a fine camera for portraits... a great camera for anything except night photography, and I'm tempted to find another one if it fails, or even get this one repaired.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
His name is MacDonald, but he's sponsored by Burger King. Local actor, TV-star and sometimes racing driver. Here from the annual street race in Bang Saen back in 2013. I was their team photographer back then.

D300 with 300mm f/4 AF @ f/4

Thorkil

I took a Z6 with me during a walk up on the 'mountain' behind our village this afternoon, along an old drovers' road (or bridle path as it is designated nowadays) which starts at the top of a fairly steep road about half a mile from our house. This is sheep country with very rough grazing. The second photo was taken looking back more or less in the direction of our house, with the Irish Sea in the background. All four photos are from monochrome JPEGs using the settings suggested by Jack with some tweaking. Nikkor Z 24-70 F4 lens.

View attachment 150398

View attachment 150400
What a cosy landscape to live in !!!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Went for a drive to the airport. Still nowhere to fly except domestic.

D300 with Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6

This camera is a bit confused when it comes to EXIF data. It claims that the lens is a 300-20mm f/5.6-8.5 and that this was shot at 3,200mm and f/95. That would explain the heat haze and the lack of sharpness, but somehow I suspect that it's just becoming senile. I see that mint condition D300s are available for around $300, but I'll wait for the new batteries for the D2Xs first.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I took a quick walk through the neighbourhood this afternoon, the walk I have been thinking about taking since I moved here four years ago. Here are some snapshots, all with the D300 and the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6, mostly at f/8:

People build houses literally in the canal, which is free. The dinner is swimming in the water outside the kitchen.

The party is over, but these ladies don't seem to mind.

It's hot, everybody gets thirsty.

It's the king's birthday in 9 days.

If you have money, this is where you end up when you die.

Yes, it's the same woman, and yes, Photoshop is an important tool in Thai politics :shocked:

Status
Not open for further replies.