The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3S/X Tethering

robmac

Doing some research ahead of a possible move to Nikon (D3X then D3S to follow).

In that regard, anyone have any issues on tethered shooting of either of the above bodies via LR3 or C1 V6x (Mac platform)?

Lloyd

I've had no problems at all with LR3. Works beautifully for me... honestly hate to do a portrait session without being tethered.

robmac

Excellent. Thanks Lloyd. Like they say/said "Trust But Verify". Hear you on tethered. Have fallen into geek-love with C1 V6 + Capture Pilot (w/iPad) as well as LR3 + Air Display when tethered with Canons and would hate to start fussing w/work arounds when move to Nikon as I upgrade from Mark II 1 Series bodies.

Lloyd

Good luck with the move, Rob. BTW, although I've never used C1 V6 for tethering, I have a friend who's a Nikon shooter who does, and he swears by it.

robmac

Thanks Lloyd. C1 V6 works like a charm for tethering (Canon).

Add in free Capture Pilot app. and an iPad (or iPhone), configure your Mac (in my case) for Computer-Computer Network (or use your existing wireless network) and can tuck Mac out of way and captured images (and histo) are displayed on iPad as captured by Mac and any presets/adjustments made on computer to images are made to iPad copies in real time.

Makes easy check focus (e.g. iPad near you) and to show subjects images when tethered w/o them moving from position. New Pilot version also allows rating of images on iPad via touch screen. C1 Focus Mask overlay (while not highly accurate so far) also shows on iPad screen if selected on Mac.

Air Display app. allows use of iPad as 2nd monitor on a Mac so can do similar to Pilot w/LR3 or any other application. Can have LR3 use iPad as 2nd screen (complete w/display zoom selection via touch screen), as preview monitor or 'mirror' and use iPad to preview images as captured - and control computer. Either system gives a nice fat, high-res, zoomable preview monitor for checking focus.

Now need to find some form of bracket for iPad to mount on light stand, etc.

I'd say something along lines of "I remember when..." but would just sound old.

BTW - How do you like the 3X?

Lloyd

I've looked at that sort of set up, but as I only have the iPhone thus far, decided to wait until I have an iPad (not if, just when). I have used a second, larger, monitor turned so that the subject(s) can see the results, and that has worked very well. As for the D3X, I don't own it, but have rented one when needed. I really like it, and if I didn't have the Leica love I do, I'd own one. I'm also sorta waiting to see what's next from Nikon. Hoping for a D3x sensor in a D700 body (or more!).

As for you saying "I remember when...", fear not, I probably would remember. ;)

robmac

Yeah, getting, uhm, older, sucks. Love the 1Ds2s, but is time to move fwd re: liveview, LiO batteries, etc., etc., and have lusted after a move back to Nikon (former D1H/X user) for some time and a D3s and D3x combo looks like a nice package. Thankfully shoot primarily alt glass that can be used on either body style, so no lens shifting to do.

Thanks for the info.