Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nikkor vs Carl Zeiss - DxOMark -

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nikkor vs Carl Zeiss - DxOMark -

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    To those that say they have had both the Nikon and Zeiss lenses and found
    Nikon to be better.

Good for you.

I have only purchased one sample each of the zf 25/2, 35/2, 50/2, 50/1.4 and the 100/2 version 1.

I used to have a big collection of Nikon lenses.

Now I only use Zeiss.

Good for me.

I have not printed poster size..I do not intend to. I print as wall hangers.

I post in this forum. It is there for all to see. Good or bad.

I am happy with my Zeiss results.

Numbers won't convince me. My prints do.
    Good for you!

Post Thanks / Like

The Zeiss lenses I've owned in F mount were amazing performers. Both the 50mm f1.4 and the 35mm f2 totally blew me away, but only when I got the focus right. My eyes weren't up to focusing the 35mm consistently at middle distances and so my bad technique killed any advantage I stood to gain using them. I was really disappointed with myself so bought a split prism focusing screen but that produced some crazy back focus and I gave up quickly. I now own the Nikon 50mm G and while it focuses properly and is mostly sharp for some reason I find it really uninspiring to use and the results are a little dead compared to the Zeiss. Oh well, I can't have it all...

Ronan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikkor vs Carl Zeiss - DxOMark -

Interesting. Thanks for the informations, Ronan.
    Ronan, have you yourself ever tried out, or tested, or used on a regular basis, or owned any of these ZF lenses ?
    I mean do you have any substantial first hand experiences with them ?
    And if so, I'd be curious to know how your personal experiences correspond to these test results ?
    Best,
    Steen

Ronan

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the informations, Ronan.
    Ronan, have you yourself ever tried out, or tested, or used on a regular basis, or owned any of these ZF lenses ?
    I mean do you have any substantial first hand experiences with them ?
    And if so, I'd be curious to know how your personal experiences correspond to these test results ?
    Best,
    Steen
    I have used the first one's mention since my colleague and a friend shoots with them.

I have never compared & contrast my Nikon glass vs Zeiss glass because i couldn't care less. I'm more than happy with my superb Nikkor lenses, and i also shoot sport, so AF is quite appreciated. When ever i feel like shooting manual, i have a little collection of vintage SLR and manual glass to use.

What i can say, is i appreciate the Zeiss glass for their 'different' aspect they give images, and i appreciate my Nikkor glass for all the personal & professional work i do with them.

Which one is better? Depends of the users and their needs/wants.

Edit: I can add that i have shown the results with my colleague and my friend, and they say they aren't too surprised since they feel the Zeiss legend has a lot of myth in it, but they are excellent glass and can vouch for them any day.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    I am happy with my Zeiss results.
    Numbers won't convince me. My prints do.
    Bravo! I feel the same way. Nikon and Zeiss both make superb lenses.

Olympus E-5 + Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8
    ISO 1250 @ f/2.8 @ 1/25 second (hand-held)

Numbers are a waste of time unless you're engineering a lens.

hoagie

New here, but I guess I don't understand the heat generated by a test result from DXO.

I own and use both Zeiss and Nikon. I find certain models from both brands are suited to MY liking for particular uses. After reading any given test result published by DXO (or any source, for that matter), I will readily attest to the fact that it has made absolutely no difference in the results I achieved with the given lens. Likewise, the advent of the latest and greatest bodies from the big brands has yet to render any of my working tools obsolete just because they were "last years model".

I look at DXO as just another tool.....sometimes useful, sometimes not, and never suited for all applications.

Ronan

Quote Originally Posted by hoagie View Post
    New here, but I guess I don't understand the heat generated by a test result from DXO.

I own and use both Zeiss and Nikon. I find certain models from both brands are suited to MY liking for particular uses. After reading any given test result published by DXO (or any source, for that matter), I will readily attest to the fact that it has made absolutely no difference in the results I achieved with the given lens. Likewise, the advent of the latest and greatest bodies from the big brands has yet to render any of my working tools obsolete just because they were "last years model".

I look at DXO as just another tool.....sometimes useful, sometimes not, and never suited for all applications.
    Because some people believe Zeiss glass to be the holy grail in every aspect

You should have seen some of the 'conversations' on other forums that this test generated.

People were pretty civil here though

Post Thanks / Like

Those numbers are interesting and it certainly shows the old nikon and canon as the winner.

The zeiss 50mm 1.4 is not their best lens and it clearly shows here. However, I look at it this way. The zeiss has more diaphragm blades and better contrast which would yield a more pleasing image to look at. Especially if you are into that bokeh. I rarely shoot anything that requires me to look at 50lpm vs 58lpm It would really be difficult to see in a print or even monitor unless you are shooting test charts

In the end, although the zeiss shows lower performance in the lab, I still find that in the real world, the zeiss produced images that I prefer over the others.

However, keep in mind that my Favorite Zeiss 50 is the f2 makro which would probably blow everything out of the water. In fact, In my bag I have a zeiss 50mm f2 and a Nikon 50mm f1.2 I love the nikon 1.2

Browse through these samples with the zeiss 50mm 1.4

On a canon
    http://zeissimages.com/standardgalle...pe=360&showall

On a Nikon
    http://zeissimages.com/standardgalle...pe=437&showall

JT

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This indeed is a very civil and friendly forum.

There is no heat generated if people use various lenses. As a matter of fact,
    I have yet to find in any of the various categories of cameras/lenses in GetDPI anyone arguing that their equipment is the ' Holy Grail '.

The OP gave some results from somewhere which supposedly ' proved ' that one lens manufacturer's lenses were better than someone else's.

Good, if the OP ( whose ' friends ' use/own/tried one ) and did not like them, so what's the big deal.

Use what suits you. But use your lenses and show what you can do with them, rather than just discuss them.

There is a time for such considerations. Before you buy them. After that use them. Don't like it give/sell or lend them to your ' friends ' and buy the ones you like to take photographs with.

What's the ' Holy Grail ' got to do in a photographic forum. Maybe some other
    forum talking about ' Holy Grails ' might be more appropriate.

Enjoy what you have. And if you please, show us what you can do with your camera/lens combination.

Maybe then we all can benfit from each other''s experience.

I really like to see photos taken by members. I learn and can hope to improve my photographic pleasure.

Talk really never did convince me. And neither do numbers. I have already made my decision. I am happy with it.

Go find your happiness and let us be happy too. Please.

p.s pretty please. Thank you.

p.p.s Just wondering if you have posted any pics here. maybe that might convince us to try some of the lenses you use. How's the MF doing? Any pics from that yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone remember the old testing done by Popular Photo and Modern Photo magazines? Leica and high end (expensive) lenses usually never tested well, but (cheap) Sigma, Tamron, and other third party lenses--well those were genuine diamonds! I didn't understand the huge cost of Leica over Sigma, until, of course, I actually used a Leica.

Test results can be skewed by changing the parameters to construct a "winner" (see the recent D7000/60D reviews in aforesaid magazine). BTW, I'd love to use Zeiss, but I really like AF, especially in Nikon's pro bodies, and modern bodies are just not optimized for MF.
    Last edited by bowlachili; 26th March 2011 at 15:25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 to Rayyan

The attached shot was done with the Zeiss 85MM 1.4 ZF.2 yesterday (3/26/11). As we say in Hebrew "Bokeh Tov."
    Last edited by aboudd; 1st June 2011 at 03:40.
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com