The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700: this looks real enough!

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
A post on DPReview links to French site Focus Numerique's article on the D700 (dated 01 July 2008 00:00) with pictures, detailed information, and a five and a half minute video interview with Nikon France representative, Thomas Maquaire. There's also a link to a PDF specification sheet. Unfortunately, the 95% viewfinder coverage is confirmed. Even for non-French speakers (like me) the video is worth watching since it contains numerous close-up shots explaining the camera's functions.

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
so they chose to differentiate on the most crucial part, the viewfinder, very disappointing :(

D3

D700

robmac

If it delivers as promised, I may finally be making the switch.

One kicker for me will be the focus confirm system (D300s sucks) and if you can set the camera to a clear VF - no displayed AF points. After using my 1DS2 with AF illumination off, I'm getting very spoiled by that nice uncluttered matte (C-IV) focus screen.

On the D300 you can get it down to 1 center point and from the pic above it looks like you can now switch the all off (as well as grid), but brochure photos are always doctored for 'clarity'.

Alternate screens aren't a biggy - Katzeye can take care of that.

LJL

Well, as a heavy duty Canon user, I have to say that this D700 makes switching much more tempting now, especially while contemplating MF also. My thinking is that a couple of these D700s could replace my two 1DMkII bodies for my sports shooting if I add the battery grips, and also fill the gap for a while for the 1DsMkII body until the MF can take over for my needs there. The specs are impressive, and the price is very nice for all that you get. Will wait to see images, read horror stories, and figure swapping costs first, but this has my attention again.

LJ