The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Perigee moon Saturday

Photojazz

Here's my best so far processed tonight, I am going to process more later and see if I do even better, but I love the crater detail at top of this shot. It's not overprocessed either.

silver efex 2 processed and framed: Apparently I'd pulled back some inadvertantly, shot at 490mm, instead of 550mm with 1.4TC on 200-400VR on D3X

D&A

Great Shot! You know I was looking at that Perigee moon last evening and although its supposed to appear to the naked eye approx. 15% bigger (and brighter too) and I'm sure it was if measurements were taken....past havest moons (generally in August) seemed bigger to me than yesterdays. Maybe just an optical illusion due to harvest moons color and rising slowly on the horizon? Anyhow, you captured a great shot of yesterday's Perigee moon.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Hi Aboud,

Fantastic shot! Was this taken yesterday or as it appears, a late summer shot of the harvest moon over our Nation's Capital? Yesterday's moon didn't appear to have the usual orange glow of the havest moon but maybe I didn't catch it early enough just after it rose over the horizon.

Dave (D&A)

aboudd

Here is the pano I built as well. Yes this was last nights Perigee moon and the color was exactly as you see it. I waited from about 6:15 PM and finally shot this series between 7:40 and 8:00 PM. The cloud cover on the horizon made it seem as if it wasn't going to show up as late as 7:30, I almost packed it up and went home. After about 8:30 or so the moon took on its natural glow as it cleared the cloud line.

Last edited:

Photojazz

thanks guys. I could not shoot the Perigee moon until it was fairly high in sky, cloud cover was in the way. I wish I had shot more at 550mm instead of getting my zoom lowered to 490. ok, maybe 530 would have been optimized, you can zoom to deep all the way out. The 200-400VR always seems to be said to be less quality at full zoom I have heard.