The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Newly released camera model: safe to buy or best to wait?

Terry

What David is really thinking is . . .

Incidentally David - where did you get the news about an updated 24-120 with VR2? I've not seen that one (but I want one, especially if it's a little better at the corners than it's predecessor.)
Jono,
When would you opt for the 24-120 over the 24-70? Obviously I know you get more reach. Is it that much smaller and lighter?

Here is where the VRII comes from could be a typo but the other issue is the listed kit price is too expensive as camera plus current 24-120 is cheaper to buy independently.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/570230-REG/Nikon_9622_D700_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

jonoslack

Jono,
When would you opt for the 24-120 over the 24-70? Obviously I know you get more reach. Is it that much smaller and lighter?

Here is where the VRII comes from could be a typo but the other issue is the listed kit price is too expensive as camera plus current 24-120 is cheaper to buy independently.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/570230-REG/Nikon_9622_D700_SLR_Digital_Camera.html
Hi There
I'd use the 24-120 as a 'carry around' with the 70-300 for travelling - yes, it is MUCH smaller and lighter. One would hope that if they've put in VRII they will have changed the design as well (looks different). I have the old one, and it does have it's good points, but the corners are so soft at 24mm that you may as well not bother!

Still, thanks for the heads up - the fact that it's too expensive does suggest that they've done the business on it . . . .let's hope so.

DavidL

What David is really thinking is . . .

"Thinks . . . if I wait until the D700 is released, then jono slack will sell me his D3 on the cheap"

Incidentally David - where did you get the news about an updated 24-120 with VR2? I've not seen that one (but I want one, especially if it's a little better at the corners than it's predecessor.)
Read it somewhere probably dpreview. Apparently on the B&H list there is an outfit that includes 24-120 with VR11, so that would be a new lens. Nothing certain could be a misprint.

A correction to your comment above as it should have read VERY cheap:D

If all the jobs I have come in weren't double booked I could have offered a reasonable price but I have given two jobs away for the upcoming week and and a cancellation for the week after. However, the truth is I only buy gear off you because of the quality of the wine and your other half's cooking:clap:
David

DavidL

Wasn't the launch price of the D300 $1799? I think it just came down in price over the last couple of weeks to $1649 That took a good 7-8 months for $150
It was different over this side of the pond. As I remember the D300 came in at £1399 and within a week or two it was £1299. It then dropped another £100 and is currently below £1000. Now I might be wrong about the £1399 because I only remember what I pay and that's only because I log it on my accounts. However it dropped £100 within a few weeks.
My logic for what it's worth is Camera companies know that the major sales of new models still retains some of the feeding frenzy, which came in in the early days of DSLR's when people got on waiting lists. After the initial burst of sales unit sales drop off dramatically so prices settle to more attractive price.

David

jonoslack

Read it somewhere probably dpreview. Apparently on the B&H list there is an outfit that includes 24-120 with VR11, so that would be a new lens. Nothing certain could be a misprint.

A correction to your comment above as it should have read VERY cheap:D

If all the jobs I have come in weren't double booked I could have offered a reasonable price but I have given two jobs away for the upcoming week and and a cancellation for the week after. However, the truth is I only buy gear off you because of the quality of the wine and your other half's cooking:clap:
David
Hi David

I thought it was the cat you came for?

I'm sure we could come to some sort of rational valueation. (it's only 3 months old after all).

As for UK prices - you're right, most of the dealers sell for about £100 below list, but only after there is free stock available - before that they make financial hay (don't blame them, the margins are pretty low).

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jono, what a great cat shot! I already asked Maggie O this question in another thread...

What a gorgeous cat! How do you get her (him?) to sit still while you take a picture? As soon as I point a camera at my cat, she immediately stops whatever she's doing (that I wanted to photograph), walks to me, and starts purring and rubbing up against my leg...
Lovely smooth bokeh too. If you don't mind my asking, what lens did you use?

jonoslack

Hi Jonathon
Thank you!
Jono, what a great cat shot! I already asked Maggie O this question in another thread...

Lovely smooth bokeh too. If you don't mind my asking, what lens did you use?
I suppose I don't go about trying to take pictures of the cat - but there's always a camera lying around, so if the moment presents itself. . . . . . She was lying on the garden table watching sparrows in the apple tree . . .
As for the lens - it was with the Nikkor 105mm macro - which does have a great bokeh, as to all the new nano coated lenses.