Site Sponsors

Thread: Newly released camera model: safe to buy or best to wait?

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Newly released camera model: safe to buy or best to wait?

Received wisdom amongst savvy Macintosh users -- which I've always followed -- is never to buy the first iteration of any Apple hardware product. In other words, it's much smarter to wait until any kinks have been eliminated from the production line (and to allow other users to do the final testing on your behalf). During my years as a professional photographer I also followed the same practice, putting off buying a new camera model until three to six months after its initial release.

By placing an order with my Nikon dealer for a new D700, I'm ignoring a practice that has served me well over many years. So I'm interested in hearing from other forum members (not just Nikon users) about whether or they not they believe it's prudent to wait a few months after a camera's initial release before plonking down one's cash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Newly released camera model: safe to buy or best to wait?

The lessons learned with Macs are well founded in experience. Nikon however, has been pretty solid for the past few iterations of their camera product line and I would have no qualms buying one right out of the gate. Congrats on your purchase!

dlew308

I'd say jump in on this one. The D3 has been out awhile as has the D300 without any major hiccups. Just as I went from the D100 to the D200 and recently the D300, I have no regrets in any of those decisions....well maybe the D300 with the D700 coming out, but I got to use my D300 in Tahiti, so that was way worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have never had a Nikon early camera problem that wasn't fixed with a firmware update.
    Ah, just don't bounce the things off of rocks from chest high
    -bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not worry about the D700. Most all of the design is either taken from the D300 or the D3, both of which are working well.

Ray

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't ask me i am the damn guinea pig always. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

dlew308

Guy, you're the Chuck Yeager of Cameras

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, but on this one if the timing works out right I'm going to be the owner of Guy's test camera (or for the Brits his Beefeater).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fingers crossed we will have one in NY when I am there. Terry and I can put it through it's paces. Problem is she get's to keep it. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dlew308 View Post
    Guy, you're the Chuck Yeager of Cameras
    I need a parachute

dlew308

parachutes are overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I need a parachute

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Don't even think of bailing at the speed you travel. You would be shredded.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably right Bob, been slowing down lately.

P.S. sent that comment to my wife. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    Received wisdom amongst savvy Macintosh users -- which I've always followed -- is never to buy the first iteration of any Apple hardware product. In other words, it's much smarter to wait until any kinks have been eliminated from the production line (and to allow other users to do the final testing on your behalf). During my years as a professional photographer I also followed the same practice, putting off buying a new camera model until three to six months after its initial release.

By placing an order with my Nikon dealer for a new D700, I'm ignoring a practice that has served me well over many years. So I'm interested in hearing from other forum members (not just Nikon users) about whether or they not they believe it's prudent to wait a few months after a camera's initial release before plonking down one's cash.
    It's interesting that on the day of the announcement of the D700, there is a firmware update to the D3 which adds all the new bells and whistles.

This isn't really a new camera, it's a D3 in a small box with a few limitations; I'd be really surprised if there were any nasties involved (I've ordered one anyway!).

As for Apple - maybe they've changed their spots too - I got my iphone on the first day, and also the macbook air on which I'm writing this post, and (touch wood) neither has caused any grief.

I think the internet has had a real and positive part to play in the release of new products . . . it really doesn't pay to release a lemon . . . wasn't there some new operating system released last year . . . what WAS it called . . . I Know . . . VISTA . . (does anyone know what happened to it?)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono you were a bad boy today. I'm jealous. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes,
    Vista was an Apple marketing campaign if I recall.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone for your various insights. That recent Nikon models have been solid, that the D700 is an amalgam of the reliable D3 and D300, and that any early problems with Nikon DSLRs have been resolved via firmware updates -- all this evidence suggests that the D700 is probably a safe purchase. Now I just have to decide whether I'd be better off allocating the D700 money towards a 22 megapixel MFDB system. (I blame Guy for the fact that I'm even thinking about this!)

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing to gain from waiting is you'll pay less. Prices seem to drop considerably within a few months, sometimes weeks, of the launch.
    I'm going to wait for a while to see what the price settles at. Also there seems to be an updated 24-120 with VR2. Maybe nano coating and improved performance. So maybe, in my case, another reason to wait instead of just getting the D700 with 24-70. The D300's are still earning me money. David

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    The main thing to gain from waiting is you'll pay less. Prices seem to drop considerably within a few months, sometimes weeks, of the launch.
    Wasn't the launch price of the D300 $1799? I think it just came down in price over the last couple of weeks to $1649 That took a good 7-8 months for $150

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to wait for a while to see what the price settles at. Also there seems to be an updated 24-120 with VR2. Maybe nano coating and improved performance. So maybe, in my case, another reason to wait instead of just getting the D700 with 24-70. The D300's are still earning me money. David
    What David is really thinking is . . .

"Thinks . . . if I wait until the D700 is released, then jono slack will sell me his D3 on the cheap"

Incidentally David - where did you get the news about an updated 24-120 with VR2? I've not seen that one (but I want one, especially if it's a little better at the corners than it's predecessor.)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

Incidentally David - where did you get the news about an updated 24-120 with VR2? I've not seen that one (but I want one, especially if it's a little better at the corners than it's predecessor.)
    Jono,
    When would you opt for the 24-120 over the 24-70? Obviously I know you get more reach. Is it that much smaller and lighter?

Here is where the VRII comes from could be a typo but the other issue is the listed kit price is too expensive as camera plus current 24-120 is cheaper to buy independently.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jono,
    When would you opt for the 24-120 over the 24-70? Obviously I know you get more reach. Is it that much smaller and lighter?

Here is where the VRII comes from could be a typo but the other issue is the listed kit price is too expensive as camera plus current 24-120 is cheaper to buy independently.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
    Hi There
    I'd use the 24-120 as a 'carry around' with the 70-300 for travelling - yes, it is MUCH smaller and lighter. One would hope that if they've put in VRII they will have changed the design as well (looks different). I have the old one, and it does have it's good points, but the corners are so soft at 24mm that you may as well not bother!

Still, thanks for the heads up - the fact that it's too expensive does suggest that they've done the business on it . . . .let's hope so.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

"Thinks . . . if I wait until the D700 is released, then jono slack will sell me his D3 on the cheap"

Read it somewhere probably dpreview. Apparently on the B&H list there is an outfit that includes 24-120 with VR11, so that would be a new lens. Nothing certain could be a misprint.

A correction to your comment above as it should have read VERY cheap

If all the jobs I have come in weren't double booked I could have offered a reasonable price but I have given two jobs away for the upcoming week and and a cancellation for the week after. However, the truth is I only buy gear off you because of the quality of the wine and your other half's cooking
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Wasn't the launch price of the D300 $1799? I think it just came down in price over the last couple of weeks to $1649 That took a good 7-8 months for $150
    It was different over this side of the pond. As I remember the D300 came in at 1399 and within a week or two it was 1299. It then dropped another 100 and is currently below 1000. Now I might be wrong about the 1399 because I only remember what I pay and that's only because I log it on my accounts. However it dropped 100 within a few weeks.
    My logic for what it's worth is Camera companies know that the major sales of new models still retains some of the feeding frenzy, which came in in the early days of DSLR's when people got on waiting lists. After the initial burst of sales unit sales drop off dramatically so prices settle to more attractive price.

David

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Read it somewhere probably dpreview. Apparently on the B&H list there is an outfit that includes 24-120 with VR11, so that would be a new lens. Nothing certain could be a misprint.

A correction to your comment above as it should have read VERY cheap

If all the jobs I have come in weren't double booked I could have offered a reasonable price but I have given two jobs away for the upcoming week and and a cancellation for the week after. However, the truth is I only buy gear off you because of the quality of the wine and your other half's cooking
    David
    Hi David

I thought it was the cat you came for?

I'm sure we could come to some sort of rational valueation. (it's only 3 months old after all).

As for UK prices - you're right, most of the dealers sell for about 100 below list, but only after there is free stock available - before that they make financial hay (don't blame them, the margins are pretty low).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, what a great cat shot! I already asked Maggie O this question in another thread...

What a gorgeous cat! How do you get her (him?) to sit still while you take a picture? As soon as I point a camera at my cat, she immediately stops whatever she's doing (that I wanted to photograph), walks to me, and starts purring and rubbing up against my leg...
    Lovely smooth bokeh too. If you don't mind my asking, what lens did you use?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jonathon
    Thank you!
    Jono, what a great cat shot! I already asked Maggie O this question in another thread...

Lovely smooth bokeh too. If you don't mind my asking, what lens did you use?
    I suppose I don't go about trying to take pictures of the cat - but there's always a camera lying around, so if the moment presents itself. . . . . . She was lying on the garden table watching sparrows in the apple tree . . .
    As for the lens - it was with the Nikkor 105mm macro - which does have a great bokeh, as to all the new nano coated lenses.

Just this guy you know