The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon G9 Competitor

jonoslack

It all depends upon to what usage Nikon puts those 13 mpx. If they can actually deliver ISO 6400 there might be more high-tech wizardry involved here than the specs are telling us.
But assuming good IQ, the decisive property (for me) will be speed. Both focusing and read speed for the RAW files, until recently a weak point of these cameras. Certainly worth watching.
Hi Arne
It's nice to see someone else who is an optimist. However, the idea that with the current technology they are suddenly going to produce a decent 6400 ISO shot . .. when the 12mp previous version couldn't even manage 400 ISO without too much noise . . seems a bit too optimistic, even for me.

There is nothing about this sensor to suggest that it'll be any better than the previous ones - or, indeed, any better than the Ricoh.

I'm afraid that the truth is that high MP sells these cameras, and not good image quality, the people who buy them will almost certainly never read a review in anything more sophisticated than 'what camera' magazine.

The Sigma was a good try, but clearly the problems in getting that size sensor into a camera was too much.

I'm sure it would be possible and sensible to use 2/3 sensors in cameras like this - it would provide decent image quality and pretty high resolution with good noise characteristics. Fuji have just put one of these sensors into their S100fs (which is a huge bridge camera) - lets hope they will put one in a sophisticated compact compact soon.

Until then, I've learned my lesson, I'm not going to buy another compact camera with a tiny sensor in the vain hope that there will be some kind of processing miracle (my GX100 is, at least, nice to use).

Arne Hvaring

Oh, I think ISO 6400 is an illusion of the marketing dep., no doubt in order to sell cameras, but still, with a company with Nikon's reputation, it will be interesting to see what they actually come up with. FWIW the French magazine (Europe's largest photographic magazine according to themselves) Chasseur d'Images has for more than a year been pointing out that the more pixels on a given site, the better one can reduce noise in the final image. The reason being the added information a higher pixel count provides to the demosaicking algorithm.

Basically I think that with the small sensor P&S one should try to supply the sensor with as much light as possible to increase IQ. But when was the last time we saw a new P&S announced with a f1,4 or f2,0 lens? The early G-series from Canon had this kind of optics, but I suppose the demand for ever greater zoom ranges, smaller size and not-too-expensive cameras put an end to that.

I'm shooting with a GR II, but I would gladly pay for a f1,4 or even 1,2 lens on that camera if only Ricoh would make one.

etrigan63

I would love to see the rumored Nikon DRF become a reality. If it uses M-mount and has a D300 sensor (or better) then it would rock! If it is less than an M8 it would truly rock!

Ben Rubinstein

Hasn't it been rumoured for rather a long time? The sensor would have to be redesigned to cope with the closeness of the lens elements, etc. I don't think they should bother, the market for rangefinders is very niche from a marketing point of view, the big market, the huge market ready to be exploited is the pro p&s, the DP1 should have hit a home run but didn't, there's a lot of room for the big boys to make a killing from that market. Can't believe they haven't already done it, they're selling a whole heck of a lot of DSLR's and most of those shooters would spend money on a big chip p&s with the features of a G9, GX100, etc, etc.