The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focusing speed of D700?

S

sebasco

Does anyone know whether the D700 will have the same focusing speed as the D3? Guy, Jack??

The D3 has nearly twice the processing power of the D300 and focuses quite a bit faster, so I wonder where the D700s processing power will fall.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think I read it is the same processor as the D3 but we need to confirm that. From all that i read so far almost everything is pretty much the same internally like this. There are some thing different of course but not a lot. Size obviously , viewfinder, can't change screens (bad idea here) Focus confirm is like the D300. I need more data on this also and hopefully get a chance to test one out in late July when in Ny.

robmac

A tester on FM indicated he felt the speed was on par with the D300. The camera appears to be (as expected I guess) essentially a D300 with the D3 sensor & associated firmware.

The FC process is a disappointment - never found the FC on any D300 I tested as worth a hell of a lot. On the other hand used D3 prices are falling as a result of the 700.....

robmac

Other than the small VF (which you'd expect of course), I found the FC light on the 2 D300s all but useless. Now the D700 with it's larger prism should be better 'optically' to manually focus, but accurate FC that at least rivaled by 1Ds2 and $79 chipped adapters would be very valuable.

O

Oxide Blu

... 1Ds2 and $79 chipped adapters would be very valuable.

When shooting the D2Xs I shoot MF about 90% of the time. Never heard of "$79 chipped adapters", what is it?

Since I shoot primarily MF, I'm not so concerned about the focus speed as others would be. But if the D700 does not allow changing of the focus screen it suddenly becomes a no-brainer; it's immediately off the list. Damn! And I got excited about this new Nikon camera. :(

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Other than the small VF (which you'd expect of course), I found the FC light on the 2 D300s all but useless. Now the D700 with it's larger prism should be better 'optically' to manually focus, but accurate FC that at least rivaled by 1Ds2 and $79 chipped adapters would be very valuable.
That's also been my experience with the FC light on the D300. The FC light doesn't suddenly come on when you achieve accurate focus then go off when you rotate the lens slightly in either direction. Rather there's a quite considerable "zone" in which the FC light is illuminated, making it easily possible to get out-of-focus shots. Or perhaps, despite lots of practice, I'm just not doing it correctly. In any case, I'm thinking seriously about getting a Brightscreen Eyepiece Magnifier for the D300.

When shooting the D2Xs I shoot MF about 90% of the time. Never heard of "$79 chipped adapters", what is it?
Many Canon shooters use adaptors that enable them to use third party lenses on their Canon DSLRs -- in this case the adaptor has a chip that enables focus confirmation.

etrigan63

Has anyone tried the Katzeye focusing screen for the D300? I wish that Brightscreen would produce a #5 for the D300. I would be all over that.

robmac

I've used a Katzeye to great effect on a 30D, so if one can be fitted to a D700, it should do the job. After I fitted the 30D with the screen, could focus a 280/2 APO at MFD bang on using the enhanced split/prism combo screen.

Guy Mancuso

It was not that hard at all just have to be careful you don't slip with the little tool they give you. There is a chance you could run that across the screen itself . But the setup is like a spring loaded clip. You release it install the new screen than push the clip back with the little tool supplied. Not hard at all just want to make sure you blow dust off and all that. I call it the double reading glasses installation. LOL i actually put two pairs of glasses on when I get that close to something. Age LOL

robmac

While the AF speeds of the pro Nikons and D_00 units do differ, I am surprised by the apparent lose tolerances in the D_00 FC system when using manual focus as to when system indicates via the magic dot, when something is in focus or not. In my D1, D1x days (similar system to D3 now re: dot and arrows), there were few issues getting accurate focus with Ai/S lenses.

That's also been my experience with the FC light on the D300. The FC light doesn't suddenly come on when you achieve accurate focus then go off when you rotate the lens slightly in either direction. Rather there's a quite considerable "zone" in which the FC light is illuminated, making it easily possible to get out-of-focus shots. Or perhaps, despite lots of practice, I'm just not doing it correctly. In any case, I'm thinking seriously about getting a Brightscreen Eyepiece Magnifier for the D300.

Many Canon shooters use adaptors that enable them to use third party lenses on their Canon DSLRs -- in this case the adaptor has a chip that enables focus confirmation.

D

ddk

. In any case, I'm thinking seriously about getting a Brightscreen Eyepiece Magnifier for the D300.
Don't waste your money, the v1 was a total piece of crap not even worth a $1! It didn't fit right and when I complained I was told that Nikon's manufacturing tolerances aren't tight that's why their junkie, cheap plastic eyepiece didn't fit, yeah right! Its a cheap plastic holder with a badly cut piece of low grade glass, if anything viewing is harder with their magnifier than without.

My experience with their screens wasn't that hot either. Unlike Katzeye they kept the original screen without my consent and I had to buy another one from Kodak to replace theirs which was darker than the original and the diameter of the microprism was too big for slrn's finder. I was told by some snotty sales person that their price is based on keeping the original screens but I couldn't find that fact anywhere on their website, never the less they refused to return the screen. Brightscreen is a bad company, keep away! Katzeye on the other hand was very upfront and honest.

david

O

Oxide Blu

... Not hard at all just want to make sure you blow dust off and all that.

I have it on good authority that Nikon uses ultra-high technology to secretly install ‘3rd party focus screen sensing invisible dust’ inside of their cameras. Upon sensing the installation of a 3rd party focus screen in a Nikon camera, the dust automatically changes from “invisible” dust into “visible” dust on your newly installed screen. :eek:

Guy Mancuso

I have it on good authority that Nikon uses ultra-high technology to secretly install ‘3rd party focus screen sensing invisible dust’ inside of their cameras. Upon sensing the installation of a 3rd party focus screen in a Nikon camera, the dust automatically changes from “invisible” dust into “visible” dust on your newly installed screen. :eek:
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Security Invasion Firmware built in.